Menu

8 day fever....

First, do you know what was wrong with you? Have you been seen by a doctor? A fever that long sounds serious!

I ask because I had pneumonia about a year ago. I was being treated for a sinus infection but the antibiotics did no good. My fever kept spiking and I ended up in the ER when I started getting pain along my ribcage. I was shocked when they said I had pneumonia because I hadn't even been coughing.

For the 6 days I had my fever my skin was constantly wet. I felt so gross. I could barely eat anything and I was pretty dehydrated but I was weighing myself on occasion out of habit and my weight actually went up a little. I don't remember explicitly sweating after my fever broke, but my weight dropped pretty quickly a week later. I am pretty sure I was just retaining a bunch of fluid while I was sick, and I imagine I sweated/peed a lot of it out once I started feeling better.

I don't know why I was sick. The fever would come and go and then was steady, lower then higher, for 8 days. I have a dry hacking cough that was moderate for a couple of days but I'm barely coughing today.

I've taken my temp a few times this morning, no temp. But this sweating is disgusting!

Dd11 had a cold/flu virus and was vomiting. I did not have the vomiting but I did have nausea. The whole thing was weird. I didn't FEEL sick but I woke up one morning FREEZING with fever blisters all over my mouth and lips. I never really felt sick, just off. The nausea was never even really bad.

I have had head pressure (presumed sinuses) for a few months now. Nothing has helped that.

My daughter, the one who doesn't usually get sick and recovered from a confirmed case of H1N1 in 24 hours, just had 7 straight days of fever with a confirmed case of the flu. And yes, she was on Tamiflu within 24 hours, and yes, she had a flu shot--neither of them seemed to help. Yesterday, Day 8, was her first day of no fever. On Day 7, however, she started complaining of being hot. She usually buries herself under blankets on her bed, but she slept on top of her covers that night and whined about the heat. On day 8, oddly, her temp was only 97, but she was neither hot nor cold. Don't know what that has to do with anything, but it was a weird fever pattern.

I hope she is really over it by now--I am done with people being sick in my house!

Terri

I rarely run a fever for long, even when I'm very sick. But a couple of years ago, I had a respiratory virus where I ran a 101 temp for, oddly enough, eight days in a row. Ibuprofen or Tylenol brought it down, but as soon as it wore off, it jumped back up again. The doctor said it was just one of those things.

Feel better soon!

Last time I got sick like that (running a fever for that long), I'm pretty sure it was H1N1. (I didn't go to the doc... I couldn't pull myself out of bed long enough to make the phone call.) That was last May. It was absolutely the most miserable experience. If you're feeling slightly better, I'd call the doc and try to figure out what's going on. :grouphug:

My daughter, the one who doesn't usually get sick and recovered from a confirmed case of H1N1 in 24 hours, just had 7 straight days of fever with a confirmed case of the flu. And yes, she was on Tamiflu within 24 hours, and yes, she had a flu shot--neither of them seemed to help. Yesterday, Day 8, was her first day of no fever. On Day 7, however, she started complaining of being hot. She usually buries herself under blankets on her bed, but she slept on top of her covers that night and whined about the heat. On day 8, oddly, her temp was only 97, but she was neither hot nor cold. Don't know what that has to do with anything, but it was a weird fever pattern.

I hope she is really over it by now--I am done with people being sick in my house!

Terri

that's weird. My temp is below normal today, too.

One other thing I didn't mention is that I felt like I was in a dream-like state and got dizzy with activity.

I know I should have gone to the doctor but I was just too sick to go. Dh wanted to take me yesterday but I could NOT get out of a doubled up down blanket for the life of me!

My husband ran a pretty high fever with the flu a couple years ago. While we were waiting to be seen by the doctor his fever broke and he was dripping with sweat. It just kept coming and he was constantly having to wipe his face. He did take tylenol and motrin so that was why his fever broke but yes I have seen it. I hope you feel better soon.