Menu

Any opinions on putting a teenager on depression meds?

My son had his first session with a counselor and she is suggesting that he be evaluated by a doctor for depression. She said that even a short course of meds while he is getting through this rough patch may do alot of good.

I have been on depression meds for over 5 years, but I don't know alot about teens on depression meds. Anyone out there have experience with this?

My stepson was on anti-depression meds for almost a year during his teen years, when he was getting some counseling. The meds really helped him get over the "hump". Just be sure to stay aware of what he is doing, how he is talking, etc. to be sure he isn't experiencing some of the side effects that have been reported.

I guess my concern is what the warnings say on my meds about teens experiencing more suicidal thoughts on depression meds. If he is already having these kind of thoughts is it smart for us to consider this. Is there some kind of natural remedy we can look into?

I don't want to wait on doing something, but don't want to jump into doing something that will not be good for him either.

Would he tell you if his thoughts headed in a worse direction?

Is he getting enough exercise? Sleep? Sunshine? Nutrients, including EFAs (as in fish oil)?

Discuss your concerns with your dr. I would try to find someone who could listen and who could help me weigh the risk/benefits so you felt you were making the best possible decision.

Blessings!

Mine's on meds. We had to tinker around with them to find the best, with the least side effects. Be sure, if you go that route, that you continue therapy, and that you never run out of them, even for a day.

For me, it was a hard decision--we delayed as long as we thought we could. I hate having him on meds (he takes two), but it makes it possible for us to have him around, and it helps keep him alive.

I say, seek all the help you can, and go as natural as you can, too--I second fish oil, plenty of sleep (crucial), sunshine, carbs to help make serotonin, and therapy for everyone in the family. Add in meds if you must, but monitor carefully. They can really make a tremendous difference.

How depressed is he? I would hesitate to make a decision about meds after only one session, KWIM? Is he okay enough that you can wait until he's had more sessions w/ his counselor to see how that works? I'd hate to advise you to "wait it out" if he is really depressed and might cause harm to himself but then again...the warnings about teens and anti-depressants are enough (for me) to warrant waiting. Tough call. I agree w/ other posters about going natural if you can, continuing therapy and close monitoring. You know him better than anyone...trust that "momma's instinct"!. One other suggestion: has he had a full physical lately? I'd have his thyroid checked. Low thyroid function is not as common in boys as girls, but it is worth checking out as sometimes a low func. thyroid will cause symptoms of depression. Good luck and my prayers are with you and your son.

would consider it, but carefully. My teen son has been very depressed this year. Right now he seems better. I'd do it under careful supervision of a psych.

As for natural treatments, I take St. John's Wort myself and it works for minor depression and anxiety very well with no side effects.

We all take fish oil now as well.

I took them as a teen and they did wonders for me...I'd say literally saved my life. No weird side effects, such as suicidal thoughts, etc. Just an increase in my ability to cope, and I felt better enough to participate in therapy. Got better faster with them than I would have without them, IMO.

I'd say let him go for the evaluation with the doctor, and have a frank discussion (in front of child!) with him/her regarding any potential side effects such as the stuff that's been in the news regarding suicidal thoughts. If your concerns can be addressed, go for it. If not, try another route.

would consider it, but carefully.

:iagree:

I wish my parents had at least considered putting me on meds. They have helped tremendously as an adult. Who knows how helpful they might of been as a teenager.

But, there is a risk - at first - of more suicidal thoughts while the body balances everything out. It's something I think you need to discuss, weigh, and consider carefully with everyone involved.

My only concern would be to make sure you get a full blood panel to rule out any underlying condition--things like anemia, thyroid issues, vitamin D deficiency. It may be that IF there is an underlying issue like that, addressing that condition will lift the depression at least a little bit.

I speak from experience--learning of my anemia problems and taking supplemental iron changed my life.

they can be almost miraculous. FYI-SSRIs, the most widely used antidepressants, can increase impulsivity, so care should be used, particularly for boys. Consider Wellbutrin, if that is a concern, because it is not an SSRI and has no problems with increasing impulsivity, I don't think.

Hoping all turns out better for you and your son.

My 11yo has always had some anxiety. About 6 months ago, his anxiety became much worse, and turned into OCD. (I have OCD, so I know what it looks like.) The psychiatrist recommended Prozac, but I didn't want to use meds unless we had to.

I decided to try a naturopath first. She ordered the urine test for neurotransmitter levels, and a blood test for food sensitivities. After the results came back, she started ds on three different amino acid supplements. We're also doing an elimination diet. Within two weeks, he reported NO anxiety. He's doing really, well a month later.

Just thought I'd share our story. I'm really so happy that ds responded so well to the natural treatment. A friend of mine also is using natural treatment for her ADHD, and says she's doing much better.

Wendi

Lisa,

There are natural options. Some things to google:

5-htp (for increasing serotonin -- an alternative to the typical serotonin meds)

GABA (for decreasing anxiety and/or depression)

Zinc (this is a BIGGIE for teen boys. Zinc is depleted during puberty and during times of stress)

B vitamins (being low in B vitamins will affect serotonin, mineral uptake, etc., and make it harder to have healthy neurotransmitter levels)

SAMe (works on several important neurotransmitters)

St. John's Wort

Vitamin D (most people are too low in vitamin D, and low vitamin D can be related to depression)

Other things to google:

Orthomolecular treatment of depression

Carl Pfeiffer

Abram Hoffer

Obviously, your son won't need ALL of those -- he may do well with only one or two of them. Everyone's different, so I wanted to suggest supplements of various types.

My 12-y.o. dd is in counseling for ptsd/anxiety, and we have avoided meds (so far) by using natural supplements. My 9-y.o. son has been off ADHD meds for 2.5 years b/c of our use of supplements/vitamins.

HIH,

Lisa

I had never thought of thyroid and that could be it. I have had to have mine out because of nodule growth, but even before then I was on levothyroxine because of hypo-thyroidism.

He does need a sport's physical sometime before the end of this month and that would be a good time to bring up blood work and possible alternative solutions.