Menu

Looking for a secular article about Noah's ark

. . . why would a secular journal have anything about Noah's ark, which most non-religious types would assume is mythic in some sense?

For the same reason Mallory climbed Everest (or said he did). Also, for the fun of it. Imagine all those thousands of beetles!

<cut and paste>

The biologist J. S. B. Haldane liked to say that if biology had taught him anything about the nature of the Creator, it was that he had “an inordinate fondness for beetles.â€

You may be looking for something that doesn't exist . . . why would a secular journal have anything about Noah's ark, which most non-religious types would assume is mythic in some sense?

Well...I've read opinions here from people who *do* think that Noah's ark is mythic, but they substantiate those positions w/ claims about size vs. number of animals that seem to have come from somewhere.

I'm trying to find information from both perspectives, but while there are abundant Creationism sites, it's been harder to find a secular one. Yeah, maybe it's obvious *why* that's the case, lol, but I figured there were plenty of people here who could help reduce my search time. ;) :001_smile:

Well...I've read opinions here from people who *do* think that Noah's ark is mythic, but they substantiate those positions w/ claims about size vs. number of animals that seem to have come from somewhere.

I'm trying to find information from both perspectives, but while there are abundant Creationism sites, it's been harder to find a secular one. Yeah, maybe it's obvious *why* that's the case, lol, but I figured there were plenty of people here who could help reduce my search time. ;) :001_smile:

I always tell my kids it was the baby animals that were likely brought on board, not the giraffes you see with their heads poking out the top of the ark.

http://www.skepdic.com/noahsark.html

Basically, no boat could be built big enough to fit a pair of every kind of animal (and in many cases, seven pair). Genesis 6:14 indicates that the ark was around 450 feet long by 75 feet wide. We're talking at LEAST 16,000 species if you take a very general interpreation of "animal of every kind" (and how exactly did the animals all survive on the boat for 190 days without eating each other? wouldn't they need even more room to provide food for them?) -- this would necessitate that a) evolution is true (which most biblical literalists reject) and b) that animals would have to evolve extremely rapidly (this was estimated to be happen at 2000 BC, after all) from that base 16,000 after the flood to give us the 1.5 millions separate species we know today. Since we have the fossil record, we know that this did not happen, even if such a boat could have been built in the first place.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, if the world was entirely flooded due to rain, then there would virtually be no salt water seas left. Noah would need to build tanks in his boat for whales, dolphins, and all the salt water creatures that would have otherwise died. Unless God sent Captain Kirk back in time ala Star Trek 4...

Edited by Skadi

I read a very interesting book a while back about all the archaeological evidence in support of a catastrophic regional flood in Europe about 7,000 years ago. I believe it was this one. We are Christians but not Biblical literalists so I have no problem with the possibility of Noah's flood being a regional one rather than totally global.

http://www.skepdic.com/noahsark.html

Basically, no boat could be built big enough to fit a pair of every kind of animal (and in many cases, seven pair). Genesis 6:14 indicates that the ark was around 450 feet long by 75 feet wide. We're talking at LEAST 16,000 species if you take a very general interpreation of "animal of every kind" (and how exactly did the animals all survive on the boat for 190 days without eating each other? wouldn't they need even more room to provide food for them?) -- this would necessitate that a) evolution is true (which most biblical literalists reject) and b) that animals would have to evolve extremely rapidly (this was estimated to be happen at 2000 BC, after all) from that base 16,000 after the flood to give us the 1.5 millions separate species we know today. Since we have the fossil record, we know that this did not happen, even if such a boat could have been built in the first place.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention, if the world was entirely flooded due to rain, then there would virtually be no salt water seas left. Noah would need to build tanks in his boat for whales, dolphins, and all the salt water creatures that would have otherwise died. Unless God sent Captain Kirk back in time ala Star Trek 4...

VERY interesting--thank you!