Menu

"Why doesn't Mona Lisa have eyebrows?"

I just googled it. Apparently there is a man who used a high-resolution camera that has detected evidence of paint strokes indicating there were not only eyebrows but eyelashes as well. He says they just faded over time. I think I remembered this from an FLVS Art class the girls took a few years ago. Don't remember any info on a hairnet though. :D

I just googled it. Apparently there is a man who used a high-resolution camera that has detected evidence of paint strokes indicating there were not only eyebrows but eyelashes as well. He says they just faded over time. I think I remembered this from an FLVS Art class the girls took a few years ago. Don't remember any info on a hairnet though. :D

Well that gives me something to tell DS this a.m. RE: the "hairnet," if you look she has a line across her forehead. I believe that is was in fashion for ladies to wear headbands at that time so maybe she just had a really thin one. However, to a 9 year old, it's a hairnet. :D

According to my art history professor, very thin or non-existent eyebrows were fashionable on a lady of the upper class. Thick eyebrows were for peasants. If you look at other portraits of the period those ladies don't have the whole Brooke Shields thing going on either. Lady with an Ermine Headwear was a similar fashion statement. That's what he said anyway.

Oh rats....2cents beat me to it! But here is a link to an article about the Frenchman that did the scientific research.

As to the hairnet, it was the style of the day during the Renaissance. Apparently people thought it was attractive. :tongue_smilie:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

According to my art history professor, very thin or non-existent eyebrows were fashionable on a lady of the upper class. Thick eyebrows were for peasants. If you look at other portraits of the period those ladies don't have the whole Brooke Shields thing going on either. Lady with an Ermine Headwear was a similar fashion statement. That's what he said anyway.

:iagree: