Menu

memory work: The Lord's Prayer

I'm really curious to see the answer here. I'm not sure what age they'll be able to say it on their own, but we say it several times a day and this last week if I stop and don't say the last word of each line my two and a half year old will fill it in. She can't quite manage them all, she says "tresps" for trespass and "tempt" for temptation. I'm going to keep dropping words in each line and see how much she knows each day.

Well, my oldest learned it before she turned 2, and my second was saying it by herself before her 3rd birthday (she left out some words, but it was a speech issue, not a memory issue). I can't remember how it happened with my oldest, but with my 3-year-old, I just said it for her at bedtime every night. After awhile I would stop every few words to give her the opportunity to repeat after me. It was several months, maybe close to a year, before she said the whole thing alone.

My 7 yro is memorizing it in Latin right now.

I think 4-5?

Edited to say: My son didn't start talking until 2 and was not very understandable at 3, so it depends on the kid. I can't understand my 3 yro sometimes, either... My kids seem to take longer in the crockpot for some reason. lol!