Menu

Teachers Lounge! 2-14-2011

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!! @>----- (that's a rose on it's side, for all of you!)

What's for lunch today? Me and the kids: pigs in Pillsbury blankets ;) and carrot slices.

Doing anything special for Vday? We are going rollerskating with a bunch of other homeschool groups this afternoon. I actually woke myself up early, with help from my phone's alarm clock, to make breakfast this morning: waffles, strawberries, and syrup.

Anyone actually doing school today? Me: told my kids that other than Bible reading, handwriting, and read-alouds, and household chores, they didn't have any school today or tomorrow. My reasoning for this is: I just rec'd my order of IEW's teacher training (forgot the actual name) and I want to watch it all! :D

Talk to me! :bigear:

Lunch - leftover beans and hamhocks with hot peppers for me and peanut butter and jelly for the kids

Nothing special going on here for Valentine's day. We've just never made a big deal about it. Most of the time we just exchange cards. Since my birthday is really close, we've always just went out for it instead. :)

Yes - we did school today, ds is just finishing up reading and dd was done a while ago. I am spending the rest of the day planning out next year's schooling since I just got a few things in the mail over the weekend. :D

Don't you just love those homeschool curricula packages?:D

That's part of the reason my kids are getting off easy today and tomorrow.

And even though my recent pkgs are for THIS year, my 6.5yo is moving at blazing speed, so I may have to re-think what I was going to use for him next year!

Happy early Birthday, by the way!

Lunch - something easy and light. I had a very late breakfast.

Valentine's Day - we had our celebration yesterday. Dd9 organized the whole thing. We had a candlelit dinner with the fine china - spaghetti with heart-shaped pasta and salad. She passed out some chocolates for dessert. Then we had a tic-tac-toe tournament and a twister tournament! We passed out valentines cards to each of us and read them aloud. :001_wub:

School - not today because dd9 had a dental appointment this morning and is still under the effects of diazapam and nitrous oxide. Ds13 will need to type one paper (already written) into the computer.

@-,--

What's for lunch today? Tuna salad, popcorn, raw carrots, followed by Sweethearts candies. :)

Doing anything special for Vday? Kids awoke to cut out paper hearts throughout the house filled with jokes, trivia, and "I love you" in different languages. They had their own creations to share as well. Breakfast was chocolate pancakes and orange wedges. My oldest has a tween group late this afternoon, and we have a night full of basketball practice. My dh went to the bank and filled my gas tank this morning. Little things! :001_tt1:

Anyone actually doing school today? Yes, we have school today. All picture books I read are required to have "love" in them. Dd5 is GOOOOOD!

I woke up early and went to the barn to find a ewe had lambed. I spent the morning making her comfortable in a private stall with her new little baa and making sure that her milk was letting down and babe was eating...which he was.

Mucking out was not fun. The owner of the farm is apparently low on funds and didn't replenish her stock of sawdust nor buy pine shavings. She had filled the horse stalls with straw over the weekend and they were a disaster. It's her call for her horse, but I pay to have my horse boarded there and work in addition for use of the riding arena, etc. I was ticked. So, I've had to go for bedding today and will change out my horse's stall this afternoon. Nice way to begin Valentine's Day....grrr.

The kids had eaten breakfast by the time I got home. Two are not feeling well and since we are doing just fine getting school work accomplished this year, I chose not to push them today.

I made chicken stir fry with mushrooms, red pepper, celery, leeks, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and baby corns. Everyone ate it on a bed of pasta, except me. I only ate a little bit and no pasta. I've lost about 4 lbs in the last month and hope this trend will continue if my willpower maintains.

I'm making meatball subs for dinner (by request of dh and the 12 year old), big salads, and chocolate pie for supper along with a thing called "fluff" that the kids love but which is in reality not an actual food by my definition. Oh well....it's a holiday.

No get togethers are scheduled and some of the special things I planned for this afternoon will not happen because I have to take an hour out in the middle and go make up Lady's stall. I did put a beautiful tablecloth on the table, a runner, candlesticks, and set my china for tonight. So, the dining room does look festive and there will be small bags of candy for each child and dh. He'll eat and run back to his computer because the overseas team really screwed up big time, the fur hit the fan this afternoon because of it, and now they've thrown their hands up and announced they can't fix it. So guess who has to clean up their mess? He won't get any comp time for it either...that's the way his manager is.

Anyway, I'm trying to make the best of it. And on a really cheery note, it is nearly 40 degrees outside and everything is melting. It has that nasty muddy, slushy, half snow/half dirt/part dead grass look. But, it's been bitter cold for so long and I'm tired of the snow. It feels positively balmy out!

Faith

Lunch: Chicken broth with a small amount of rice. DS has a nasty cold (first one of this winter season so I'm NOT complaining) and that was his choice for lunch.

Nothing special today. It is DH's long day at work - first, the HS from 8-4 and then the university from 5-11.

We are doing school. I am pushing today as we leave for a cruise bright and (a little too) early on Friday and I want school to be DONE by Wednesday afternoon so I can clean the house on Thursday. DH is having to stay at home (nasty snow days = no winter break) and I want everything to be nice for his 'bachelor' days.

Don't you just love those homeschool curricula packages?:D

That's part of the reason my kids are getting off easy today and tomorrow.

And even though my recent pkgs are for THIS year, my 6.5yo is moving at blazing speed, so I may have to re-think what I was going to use for him next year!

Happy early Birthday, by the way!

I do love curricula packages in the mail - one of my favorite things! They are definitely a reason to do a few light days at school ;)

Oh, and thanks for the early birthday wishes!

Edited by BramFam

DH is sick, sick, sick. It affects all of us because he can't just stay in bed, he needs to complain and needs help for everything. I am not as compassionate as I should be.:glare: Probably because I know that if I get this flu (which I likely will as the headache has already started) he'll be back at work and no one will be able to help me. I guess it's good that I like to be left alone when sick, but the kids will be free-rangers!

For lunch I made a big batch of taco soup that I freeze in portions for me. Made broth with a little pasta for dh. DD made her and her brother a wrap with whatever she could find in the fridge.

We did minimal school. (Math, grammar, writing for dd and phonics and math for ds). I'm off now to take dh to the doc. I pray he tests positive for flu and can get Tamiflu and get better soon!