Menu

CNAs, nurses, a question for you!

I have gotten the cash saved up and am ready to go into the first hands-on level of my nursing training, my CNA license.

As I look at the available schools, I see they seem to be focused on the CNA as caregiver to the geriatric. Is this always the case? Of course, I do not mind the geriatric realm, but I was hoping to focus more on either general healthcare/hospital situations or pediatric care.

Should I look at the different schools for one that includes, but does not focus exclusively on, geriatric care, or is that the norm? Do I just go with it, do my time in a nursing home and then move on as I move through nursing courses? I hope to apply next January and begin in the fall of 2012 with the nursing courses.

We live near a hospital corridor and I hope to get a job at one of these facilities. However, the school websites seem very focused on their graduates staffing nursing homes.

What says the hive?

You may have answered this question elsewhere and if so I apologize. I'm wondering why you are trying to become a CNA prior to nursing school? As a nurse, I can tell you that it is not necessary. There are advantages but none that I feel are worth paying for. You will learn what you need in nursing school. If you really want to work in a hospital setting prior to nursing school there may be other jobs there that can be useful. Actually what I advise is to take any kind of job in the unit you want to work in upon graduating nursing school. You should have an easier time getting hired if the nurse manager knows and likes you.

To answer your question, CNAs are not just used with geriatric patients but it is the patient population that utilizes CNAs the most. You should be able to check the job postings of your area hospitals and see where the demand is besides nursing homes.

The hospital I work for has CNA's for all floors. I think they even offer the training, but I'm not sure on that. Wouldn't hurt to call the HR dept and ask about it.

Good idea, I can call the hospitals directly, I should have thought of that!

A CNA friend did tell me that once I get my license and go to work for a hospital, it is possible they will pay tuition for my continued education. Hoping to find a situation like that.

I got my license in Kansas as part of an abbreviated 3yr RN program. I do not recommend going that route. Much better to get the new "traditional" BSN.

Caveat...if you are going thru a community college YEAH!!! but the for profit school I was in was a joke!!!!

A CNA friend did tell me that once I get my license and go to work for a hospital, it is possible they will pay tuition for my continued education. Hoping to find a situation like that.

It's been a while since I finished nursing school, so I don't know what you can find now... but, I know some hospitals will pay for your school if you sign a contract with them to work for them when you finish. Some hospitals will also train you for CNA work (without the class) and after your first several weeks of nursing school you can start working as a CNA.

Sorry, hellen, I missed your post earlier, perhaps we were posting at the same time?

Anyway, our local CC, the least expensive route to nursing around here (and highly reputable, actually), requires that one hold a CNA prior to being accepted into the nursing program.

My dh believes I should just go ahead and enter into the accelerated BSN program, but without financial aid I could not afford it. I believe that would not require a prior CNA.

Biggest reason is that I need to start bringing in some income. We'll have some kids in private school next year.

I amgoing to do more research, I just wanted to ask about the geriatric thing. Thanks for your lengthy reply!

I was a CNA that worked adult med/surg in the hospital as well as on other floors part time. I think it's a great idea to get your CNA first. Especially as that way you get a real view of healthcare so if you decide it's not your thing, it's not 4 years of college wasted. I know nursing homes are always recruiting CNAs but I never worked at one outside of my training. Too depressing with how many people were just abandoned by their families. :(

Sorry, hellen, I missed your post earlier, perhaps we were posting at the same time?

Anyway, our local CC, the least expensive route to nursing around here (and highly reputable, actually), requires that one hold a CNA prior to being accepted into the nursing program.

My dh believes I should just go ahead and enter into the accelerated BSN program, but without financial aid I could not afford it. I believe that would not require a prior CNA.

Biggest reason is that I need to start bringing in some income. We'll have some kids in private school next year.

I amgoing to do more research, I just wanted to ask about the geriatric thing. Thanks for your lengthy reply!

Many years ago, I was a CNA. I began work at a nursing home, where they gave the training and certification on site in classes while you were working. It was not very complex training at all. I learned to take blood pressure and safely transfer people from a wheelchair to a bed, for example. If you are going to work some, you might find out if employers provide on the job CNA training/certification.

Another potential alternative for CNA class funding is your local job agency. Locally we have a government job agency that will give grants for CNA training. I know unemployed people use this agency but the grants may be available to more than just unemployed workers. I think the agency services more than just unemployed workers as well.

The hospital I work for has two programs. One is tuition reimbursement and the stipulations are that you maintain a C average and the courses you take have to somehow enrich your job or be towards a position the hospital has (even if there are no openings in that position currently). The other program is a stipend program and I believe you have to work for the hospital a year before being able to apply. If accepted, you can take an unpaid leave to get the education and then commit to working for (I think) two years after, depending on how big the stipend was.