Menu

Which one? Little Passports or Top Secret

hmschooln

I had both, starting when my daughter was 4. Both were over her head at that time, but I'm renewing both subscriptions now that she's 6 and can read these things and get into them more.

Top Secret Adventures will have more to them. You start with a puzzle, then you get a pamphlet to read. It has more meat to it, and your children will probably learn more.

Little Passports is more unique and you get a suitcase to hold all your country adventures. You'll get something unique each time - such as an Egyptian artifact to chisel out, or a stuffed animal tiger. That made it quite memorable for my daughter. You'll also get a letter and some kind of word puzzle. There is also a small online component.

I'd take advantage of Little Passports on sale at the HSBC this month. If you wanted to just choose one, I am not sure which one to suggest. I can post pictures of sample kits we get from each if you'd like.

I had both, starting when my daughter was 4. Both were over her head at that time, but I'm renewing both subscriptions now that she's 6 and can read these things and get into them more.

Top Secret Adventures will have more to them. You start with a puzzle, then you get a pamphlet to read. It has more meat to it, and your children will probably learn more.

Little Passports is more unique and you get a suitcase to hold all your country adventures. You'll get something unique each time - such as an Egyptian artifact to chisel out, or a stuffed animal tiger. That made it quite memorable for my daughter. You'll also get a letter and some kind of word puzzle. There is also a small online component.

I'd take advantage of Little Passports on sale at the HSBC this month. If you wanted to just choose one, I am not sure which one to suggest. I can post pictures of sample kits we get from each if you'd like.

Thanks. That would be great if you could post the samples.:001_smile: I really like the look of Little Passports and think they would get a kick out of the little trinkets each month. I haven't been able to get much of a feel for the Top Secret Adventures off the website or which countries they do, wish they had better samples of theirs.

Thanks. That would be great if you could post the samples.:001_smile: I really like the look of Little Passports and think they would get a kick out of the little trinkets each month. I haven't been able to get much of a feel for the Top Secret Adventures off the website or which countries they do, wish they had better samples of theirs.

Did you look at the Detective Preview?

I just did Top Secret with my dd5 and we had a great time. She is not reading very much yet so I had to read all of it to her but that was not a problem for me. You start with a 37 piece puzzle and then solve the games in book. My daughter was able to do some of the games and some I had to really help her with. She really liked it and begged to do it everyday until we finished it, however I do not plan to continue it at this time because I think she will get so much more out of it when she is 7 or older. She did learn some nice things from it and she notices all the time now when she hears anything about Greece or Greek. We got the first one for only shipping cost so it was nice to be able to check it out for such a low cost. Less than $4.

We are doing Top Secret - Kenya today. It is obvious that you get more bang for your buck with Top Secret. Think hours of educational fun, rather than minutes with Little Passport. We've been working on reading, math, geography, language arts, etc... We're only halfway through, so it's taking a while.

Four years old is too young for Top Secret. That's when we started getting Top Secret and I got 5 packages before stopping the service. 6 years is even pushing it. I'd say their suggestion of 7-12 years (for the average child) is about right. My daughter is 6, and can read, but even so, I'm helping her in some parts, as there's a lot of reading involved, especially if you want to read the whole guide book. The guide book is a full-color, very informative, actual book that's included! The word and math problems are fine for her so far, and she's having a total blast. But if you want to make the most of it, you'd probably want your child to be able to read on their own and do such puzzles.

Anyway, I'll post my review as promised, with thorough pictures later today. I had no clue this package would contain hours of fun.

Tomorrow I'll do a review of Little Passports. It is much more simpler. But for some of us, supporting a small, family-owned business is worth more than giving our money to big companies. So that's something to keep in mind. :)

Edited by Satori

We haven't used Top Secret Adventures. I looked at the detective preview and I'm curious about the villians. Why are there villians? Do they commit crimes and that's what you are solving? I didn't have too much time to look at the website, so I'm wondering what exactly are you solving each month (a crime? or finding a particular country??)? Also, how much does it cost? I couldn't find that info in the few minutes I was looking at the website. We do have Little Passports (I got ours on eBay). We've only gotten the first package with the suitcase. Dd really likes it and is *constantly* asking when her next package is coming (that's the hardest part....waiting an entire month!). I don't really know how I feel about it yet....I'm not overly impressed, but maybe that will change. As I said in a previous thread about Little Passports, I don't care for the map because the oceans (all water) are cream colored and not blue. Antarctica is blue. Go figure. It confused my dd because she thought the blue Antarctica was an ocean. That's really my only negative thoughts about the program....so far.

Yes, it's kinda like Clue, where you need to solve 1)Who did it? 2)Where did they do it? 3) What item was stolen?

Top Secret Adventures (after the first free package) costs $13.95 plus $3.45 for shipping and handling every 5 weeks.

In one of my emails to Little Passports, they seemed ready to ship their entire available countries at once, but when I asked how much it would be, then they mentioned their default plan of sending out monthly. So for those of you who would want them all at once, I'm still trying to figure out if they can do that, despite multiple emails.

Yes, it's kinda like Clue, where you need to solve 1)Who did it? 2)Where did they do it? 3) What item was stolen?

Top Secret Adventures (after the first free package) costs $13.95 plus $3.45 for shipping and handling every 5 weeks.

In one of my emails to Little Passports, they seemed ready to ship their entire available countries at once, but when I asked how much it would be, then they mentioned their default plan of sending out monthly. So for those of you who would want them all at once, I'm still trying to figure out if they can do that, despite multiple emails.

I see. Thank you for explaining about the Top Secret Adventures. Sounds like fun, but it does seem a little pricey though. I think it comes to about $8 a month in the package I got for LP.

You should also think of it in terms of knowledge gained and time each package offers. In that way, then you receive optimal content per dollar with Top Secret. I'm learning so much today about Kenya. I don't learn nearly as much with Little Passports, but I do enjoy their service too.

You should also think of it in terms of knowledge gained and time each package offers. In that way, then you receive optimal content per dollar with Top Secret. I'm learning so much today about Kenya. I don't learn nearly as much with Little Passports, but I do enjoy their service too.

That's true. I will probably consider Top Secret after we finish Little Passports.

We just did Top Secret Adventure for China.

I purchased off ebay because I wanted to try before I subscribed.

I posted on my blog. My boys are 8 and 10. They really enjoyed it and were asking again today if we could order more. I paced them and only let them do a clue for each portion each day to stretch it out to match our geography study. They shared it. The others have described it well, an actual puzzle to start and then working through the Highlights book of mazes, etc., with an actual Guide Book to look up the facts, etc., on the country. It came in a handy file.

Do the countries covered in Top Secret Adventures come in a specific order like Little Passports? Does anyone know where I might find the list of countries covered? I didn't see it on the website anywhere.

I want to use one of these programs for our next school year as a jumping off point for geography. I would love to be able to gather coordinating materials for the country that we will be studying each month ahead of time. A list of contries covered and in what order would be oh-so-helpful!

Thanks for all the great info on these programs! :001_smile:

Just talked to Highlights lady. They are sooo nice! They're sending me free everything I paid for, even though I lost a few packages. She also told me the 25 countries they send out. This is actually a list of 26 countries, as there is one country that they run out of sometimes, but they don't charge of course.

1. Japan (with welcome kit)
  2. Australia
  3. Mexico
  4. Kenya
  5. France
  6. Great Britain
  7. Egypt
  8. Brazil
  9. China
  10. Italy
  11. Spain
  12. India
  13. Korea
  14. Argentina
  15. Germany
  16. Canada
  17. Russia
  18. Peru
  19. South Africa
  20. Greece
  21. Costa Rica
  22. Sweden
  23. Thailand
  24. New Zealand
  25. Ireland
  26. Ecuador

how well would these work with 2 kids - would I need to purchase two copies?

We did China with 1 copy. My boys shared but they are close in age and it was not a big deal to take turns, etc. They would have devoured it if I had not paced them though and mediated who had the next turn.

Angela- Thank you so much for the list of countries.

I promised a review with photos, so here it is! We had a great time in Kenya today, our very first adventure. :)

Top Secret Adventures review

Thank you SO much for this review :) I saw it in my reader a little bit ago and had to come over and comment! I just ordered the starter set since we are planning to be 'heading' to Japan next! It works out perfectly that Japan is the intro kit!! We will give it a try and see how we like it. The other countries are out of order (from my plan anyway) but we can always 'revisit' when our kits come in each month. I am SO excited to get our Japan kit now!!

I have thought about Little Passports over and over, but really wanted something with more 'meat' to it and this is PERFECT b/c DS loves being a detective (he adores playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego!)

I promised a review with photos, so here it is! We had a great time in Kenya today, our very first adventure. :)

Top Secret Adventures review

Thanks for posting this. It was very helpful to get an idea of what it's like. I think it looks great and will definitely get it after Little Passports. I think we'll finish LP first, since my daughter isn't a strong reader yet anyway. I know she'd love it....because she is obsessed with spy/detective stuff.

Thanks for all the help. Decided that Top Secret was the way to go. Even though I love the idea of Little Passports(the little trinkets, suit case, letters, etc) I realized educationally they'd probably get more out of Top Secret. Thanks again the dc are excited to get the first one.:D

Thanks! I just signed the kiddos up for Top Secret Adventures.

Just a note - if you call and ask they will let you decide on the length of time between shipments up to 90 days in between. We've done club programs before where we've had the next one come before we had gotten into the previous one, so I was glad to set mine to come 60 days apart instead of 5 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got our kit today and they sent us Australia, not Japan :( I am LOVING the look of the kit and can't wait to jump in, I was just hoping for Japan first since I had prepped for it already :( Oh well!! That's definitely the ONLY negative I would have about it thus far b/c it really looks AWESOME!!

I just wonder if the rest of the countries are actually in the order listed below or if it's just random? :confused:

Just talked to Highlights lady. They are sooo nice! They're sending me free everything I paid for, even though I lost a few packages. She also told me the 25 countries they send out. This is actually a list of 26 countries, as there is one country that they run out of sometimes, but they don't charge of course.

1. Japan (with welcome kit)
  2. Australia
  3. Mexico
  4. Kenya
  5. France
  6. Great Britain
  7. Egypt
  8. Brazil
  9. China
  10. Italy
  11. Spain
  12. India
  13. Korea
  14. Argentina
  15. Germany
  16. Canada
  17. Russia
  18. Peru
  19. South Africa
  20. Greece
  21. Costa Rica
  22. Sweden
  23. Thailand
  24. New Zealand
  25. Ireland
  26. Ecuador

They re-sent us (free!) the first two kits since I had lost them, and we got both Australia and Japan at the same time. We just got them this week. The lady I talked to told me Japan was the starter kit. She also mentioned that sometimes they have to replace/switch in a country if they are low... So I'm not sure I would go by that list 100%. Sorry!

They re-sent us (free!) the first two kits since I had lost them, and we got both Australia and Japan at the same time. We just got them this week. The lady I talked to told me Japan was the starter kit. She also mentioned that sometimes they have to replace/switch in a country if they are low... So I'm not sure I would go by that list 100%. Sorry!

Oh no...no worries on your part! I should have actually just waited until I actually GOT it anyway, lol, but I was a little over-excited to be all prepped ahead of time, lol :lol:

So, from your understanding from her, in 'general', that is the order that they would be coming in? (obviously room for changes b/c of low stock, etc) I think we will definitely be continuing the set b/c it looks really great!! (online it looked pretty awesome, but it's even better in person :) )

We just got our kit today and they sent us Australia, not Japan :( I am LOVING the look of the kit and can't wait to jump in, I was just hoping for Japan first since I had prepped for it already :( Oh well!! That's definitely the ONLY negative I would have about it thus far b/c it really looks AWESOME!!

I just wonder if the rest of the countries are actually in the order listed below or if it's just random? :confused:

Hmm. I wonder which one I'll get first, hoping it's Japan I jsut checked out an armful of books, LOL:001_smile: The lady I talked to on the phone gave me a choice on which country to get first between Japan, Australia nd one other but I forget which. :confused:

Just a word of caution on the Top Secrets: If you want to truly make this a geographic learning experience, make sure that your kids take the time to read carefully the "story" that goes along with each page. After doing a few of the countries, my 8-year-old had figured out the pattern to the games, and I had to insist that she slow down and read the country's information. You can skip through the games pretty quickly once you know the routine. But she loved them!

We also enjoyed the Highlights kits for the individual states. They're a little easier and use a different format.

We got Australia as the sample, requested not to get Mexico as we already owned it, got Japan second, and New Zealand third (last week). So no, that isn't a set order :)

• 1 month later...

I realize that this thread is on the older side, but I was wondering...

Does anyone know the title of the Top Secret Adventure for Canada?

Also, I found out that there is another country - Israel "The Jam in Jerusalem" Case # 56570 (in case that helps anyone trying to keep a list).