Menu

I miss homeschooling.

Did I really just type that? Me, who was D-O-N-E just 6 months ago?

I do miss it. I've had most of the dc home with me over the past week due to illness and I am glad to have them, sick or not. Then, I get these small thoughts creeping in about how maybe we *could* homeschool again...

I don't think it is possible at this time. I think everyone in my life would have an absolute heart attack if I went back to it (except dh, who didn't want them to go to school to start with.) At the same time, we have "fixed" so many of the things that were wrong. My 12yo still doesn't do his work, even at school. He does seem happier at school, though.

The thing is, the schools aren't very good where we are moving. I *know* I can do better than they do! There are alot of homeschoolers in the area and a lot more things to do.

At the same time, I remember how absolutely stressed I was when I put them in school (it was right after the 9yo's breakdown and just before he was medicated.) What if I can't hack it?

Maybe this summer we'll have a good summer and then just never go back to school.......:lol:

How long did it take you to get used to them being in school? Dd12 was in school for a few months each school year through 5th grade, though she stayed for the entire 3rd grade year. (awesome teacher) I never got used to it. I always felt like she should be home. Sometimes she talks about public high school. I just can't imagine it. I'll pull the "mom" card to stay homeschooling as long as it continues working.

But my hands are full right now! I'm in school full-time AND need to work (unpaid) 10 hours a week for an education practicum. I feel overwhelmed to be honest. Did I just say that out loud? Don't let DH hear that!

How long did it take you to get used to them being in school? Dd12 was in school for a few months each school year through 5th grade, though she stayed for the entire 3rd grade year. (awesome teacher) I never got used to it. I always felt like she should be home. Sometimes she talks about public high school. I just can't imagine it. I'll pull the "mom" card to stay homeschooling as long as it continues working.

But my hands are full right now! I'm in school full-time AND need to work (unpaid) 10 hours a week for an education practicum. I feel overwhelmed to be honest. Did I just say that out loud? Don't let DH hear that!

I was okay with 2 of them in school within a couple of days. My 9yo had a longer adjustment period and I felt so bad for him. He's adjusted, though, and seems to be fine (though he would tell you he would rather be homeschooled.)

At the same time, I didn't like being the be-all, end-all of their education. I would have loved something like Classical Conversations or an academic co-op. I put them in school so that the two with special needs could get services. They really aren't getting much, though! They go to school all day, then come home to do homework and reading at night - it seems that we are so busy with the school that we never get to be a family.

Just wandering thoughts, I guess. I wonder what dh would say if I told him what I was thinking?:lol:

Only 2 of mine are in school but I do miss having all of them home. I put my 3 yo in for special ed services and he's only gone a little over 3 hours a day but we can rarely go do anything during the day anymore because ds gets picked up at 12:45. I miss the freedom of getting to do what we want.

My oldest might come home next year but my 10 yo is begging to go. I'm tempted to just say everyone will homeschool next year except possibly the 3 yo. I love his Pre-K teacher (he'd stay with her for the next 2.5 years) and while I thought he'd be getting more one on one services it's been a good transition for him.

:grouphug::grouphug:

I have nothing to add.

Hugs work just fine, LG.

I'm not sure that my thoughts about this will last - homeschooling was very hard for us! The sheer number of dc, the multiple learning issues from various dc, the feelings of being overwhelmed - I don't know that all of this wouldn't come back.

As I think about and plan all the "afterschooling" it makes me really consider what benefits we are getting from school. I don't really have all this free time I didn't have before!:lol: The house is cleaner, I lost 60 pounds....really that is it. I still have to do homework with 4 of them and 3 of those need accomodations of some sort.

I think I will just keep this in the back of my mind and see where we end up at the end of the summer. At this point I don't even know where we will be living then (just the general area.) I think we will just go with the flow and see where it takes us.

I totally understand how you feel. My boys went to public school until we moved to Durham, NC. They attended for about two weeks before I couldn't take anymore. They would get on the bus @ 7:45 and wouldn't get off the bus until 4:50. Once you tacked in homework, I was more stressed out than when we were homeschooling. It was ridiculous.

I have one with special needs issues as well. He has dyslexia and learning delays and he was denied service b/c his issues weren't "bad enough". It was a very frustrating process.

I hope you find peace with your decision either way. I know its difficult. :grouphug:

You'll never know til you ask him. :grouphug:

I've followed your 9yo's trials on the SN board, so I guess I'm not surprised to see you say that p.s. is not the answer you'd hoped it would be. There's no shame in admitting you made a wrong choice, so long as you are willing to do something about it. That said, there's big adjustments to be made with a major changes, so you all may still be in that adjustment period. After all, you don't know if something's going to work until you try it, right? If p.s. isn't the answer for your family, at least now you know that and don't spend your days thinking about how much better off they'd be in school. The grass isn't always greener on the playground.

The big issues I have had with the 9yo are taken care of now - medicated he is a very, very different child than the one who sent me over the edge last September. He isn't really getting much in the way of services at school, just 90 minutes of of pull-out reading instruction. His phonetic skills aren't any better, but stimulants made it so he can remember sight words. I am still having to teach him math at home and trying to figure out whether to use Wilson or Barton for true remediation.

My 8yo loves school and hates it all at the same time. If we did go back to homeschooling, he would have to get WAY more social time than he did in the past. My 6yo is doing fine, but she isn't the social butterfly I thought she would be - she's more like her Mama.;) My 12yo isn't doing anymore in school than he did at home. I still spend quite a bit of hand holding time with him because he just isn't keeping up with the details of school. He won't get much of any services because his test results are so "off" that they are unusable (the ranges in his IQ subtests are from 5 to 13 and some were affected by the LDs we were trying to diagnose!)

I don't see the decision in September as the *wrong* decision because it was the right thing for the time and situation. Where we were then was not good for anyone. I needed this "break" to regroup, deal with some of the issues, and move on. Anyway, they will stay in school at least until we move, so I am not going to approach dh yet (though I believe his answer will be to homeschool.)

Lately I have been missing it too. But they are really loving school, and overall (aside from my issues with institutional systems) I am happy with it. I do miss all the things we used to do though. It crosses my mind that maybe we will go back next year, but that will also mean me having to take less college courses again and I don't know if I am willing to do that. I really enjoy being back in a classroom and having discussions and learning and stretching intellectually.

Lately I have been missing it too. But they are really loving school, and overall (aside from my issues with institutional systems) I am happy with it. I do miss all the things we used to do though. It crosses my mind that maybe we will go back next year, but that will also mean me having to take less college courses again and I don't know if I am willing to do that. I really enjoy being back in a classroom and having discussions and learning and stretching intellectually.

If we did decide to go back to it, I would make SURE to include time in my schedule for just me. Dh's new job has very predictable hours (unless it snows/ices which doesn't happen that often.) He works 7-3:30 Monday-Friday, so I will be able to have time to myself, even if it is to get a PT job.

I *am* happy with the schools here, but we won't be here anymore. Not only that, but in our new location, they would go to school from 9-3:30. Then, we would have to do ST, OT, and tutoring afterschool. We'll probably let some of them play sports if they want. Add that in with dinner, homework, etc. and we have nothing left for our family!

Maybe I just feel better knowing that it isn't me. The 8yo's teacher has been teaching for almost 30 years. She has taught special ed, resource, high school, and now first grade (among others.) She hasn't been able to teach him to read either.:tongue_smilie: My 9yo's teacher has struggled with the same things I have with him. He *is* starting to read, but only sight words - his phonemic awareness isn't increasing much (*he* feels better, though, knowing he can read some.) Confidence that you aren't ruining them can be a powerful thing.

I despise that Durham schools go from 9 - 3:30....mine didn't get off the bus until almost 5 p.m. I hated it. I also have one with trouble learning to read.......his teacher told me I was "incapable and unqualified" to teach my now 9-year-old son to read. Well so was she after trying for a year. I, on the other hand, have made leaps and bounds with him. He has learned to read phonetically....which his teacher also said he would never be able to do, and is doing much better. He still isn't up to grade level yet, but he is doing much better in all subjects, and is showing interest in books and school in general. He used to cry every morning and hated school. Now he is excited. Good luck in decision making....I know its tough.

Andrea

I *am* happy with the schools here, but we won't be here anymore. Not only that, but in our new location, they would go to school from 9-3:30. Then, we would have to do ST, OT, and tutoring afterschool. We'll probably let some of them play sports if they want. Add that in with dinner, homework, etc. and we have nothing left for our family!

Maybe I just feel better knowing that it isn't me. The 8yo's teacher has been teaching for almost 30 years. She has taught special ed, resource, high school, and now first grade (among others.) She hasn't been able to teach him to read either.:tongue_smilie: My 9yo's teacher has struggled with the same things I have with him. He *is* starting to read, but only sight words - his phonemic awareness isn't increasing much (*he* feels better, though, knowing he can read some.) Confidence that you aren't ruining them can be a powerful thing.

Your husband does have a nice schedule!

Mine is typically gone from 8:30 am till 9-11 pm during the week and from 7am-5pm on Saturdays.

His is a physical, manual labor type of job, so that is the reason for the hours (especially in the south in the summer!) It will allow him to go to school, me to work, etc. The job he just left had the same hours, but OT was mandatory and sporadic - he might not know he had to work late until the day he went in or the Friday before a weekend with 12 hour shifts.:glare:

However, the pay is lower than many other jobs for the same reasons, so it is much better to have predictable hours that I can work around. It also leaves the weekends free to do side work, which he is doing already.

So, I mentioned this to dh a little while ago and he said:

"Really?!?! Do you mean that? You really want to homeschool again?!?!"

He was *excited* by the thought! I told him not to say anything to anyone in the family because I didn't want to deal with the fallout yet. He said we could discuss it some more and that we didn't need to rush into it. I told him that I didn't plan to start again at least until we moved. So, we'll see....