Menu

Art for upper elementary?

happypamama

We're going to use Meet The Masters next year for 6th grade. It is PARTLY appreciation/history but it IS also actually creating different styles of art, it's like a multi-media presentation thing and it looks great.

It was also recently available for half price at homeschoolbuyersco-op.org and might still be, I think I paid $44 or so instead of $90 (and I'm pretty sure I'll be able to stretch it out into a two year curriculum).

Wow, lots of great suggestions -- thanks! I did not know Blick had so many great ideas just on their site; since it's free, I think I'll start from there and maybe the Geography through Art book. I like the look of some of the more expensive programs too -- might have to wait a bit on those, or discuss them with the grandparents.

It is so nice having such a great resource at hand!

I'm learning about Waldorf art programs right now. I bought a form drawing DVD that I haven't watched all of yet and want the block crayon DVD. They do a lot of wet on wet watercolor painting that looks interesting. In upper elementary they do all sorts of geometrical art.

In the meantime I've been doing mini watercolor paintings with the Watercolor Calendar. And cutting Kirigami again from a box of calendar pages.

The scholastic $1.00 sale has 11 workbooks that cover each month of the school year and has lots of quick print, color, cut and paste crafts. I'm actually going to do a few of them.

I have been dabbling in so much and not really making any progress. My new plan is to structure art around the seasons and holidays and have really small goals. Sometimes just drawing a holiday inspired form drawing as a border around the math paper. Or making big hearts on the paper and then completing the math problems inside the hearts, as an example for Valentines day.