Menu

I'm going to have to buy a new all-in-one/multi-function printer soon...

...to replace my ailing HP OfficeJet 7310. The 7310 has a lot of features that I like, including an automatic document feeder (ADF), but one thing I do not like is the expense of the ink cartridges. I'm interested in the printers that use inexpensive ink cartridges. Also, I want my next copier/printer to have separate ink cartridges for each color so that I can replace the cartridge of each color as it runs out, rather than replacing the whole cartridge when one color is used up. Got any recommendations for me?

ETA: Any all-in-one I buy MUST be able to do 2-sided printing, and it must be capable of wireless networking, because we all use our laptops to print from various locations throughout the house. My 7310 can do these things, and I'm spoiled!

Edited by ereks mom

We have the Canon MP 620. We got it free when we bought a computer. It prints well, has separate ink cartridges, and is wireless (my favorite of all its features). The ink replacements are less than our old HP printer, but still pretty pricey. I tend to only buy Canon brand cartridges because I think they work better. I've tried the cheaper 'off' brands and they were terrible. The Canon ones are around $55 for the whole set at Costco. I recycle the used inks at Staples to get Rewards Credits that I can use later in the year for certain school supplies that I only can find locally there.

If we ever need to buy a printer and had the extra $$, I would probably invest in a color laser printer. This is what we have, though, and besides the costs in ink, I am satisfied with its performance for all three functions (printer, copier, and scanner).

I had an HP that I grew "out of love" with very quickly. We still have it, but I loathe it. It had so many issues and the ink was expensive and didn't last long at all. I read a bunch of reviews and finally settled on the Epson Artisan 810. I love it. The research I've done suggests that Epson ink is cheaper and better than HP ink. As is Canon. The Artisan does everything that my HP did and more! The only thing it doesn't do is duplexing (I think), although it might. It does a lot! I think if you check sales, you can get it for under $200. We got it when we got our MacBook directly from Apple b/c they were running a sale on printers when you bought a Mac. Forgot to add that it is wireless (love it!) and uses separate ink cart. for color and black.

Edited by Sue G in PA

I was convinced by a salesman at Fry's Electronics to buy a Lexmark Impact 305s, and have come to the conclusion that I hate it. Worse electronic purchase I've ever made!! Sucks up ink like there is no tomorrow and there are no quality control settings on printing -- which I hate the most!

Stay away from this one whatever you do.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I was convinced by a salesman at Fry's Electronics to buy a Lexmark Impact 305s, and have come to the conclusion that I hate it. Worse electronic purchase I've ever made!! Sucks up ink like there is no tomorrow and there are no quality control settings on printing -- which I hate the most!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, this is my favorite feature. I print most everything on the "draft" option which saves a ton of ink/money and the copy/copies print so fast that way!

Edited by JENinOR

I had an HP that I grew "out of love" with very quickly. We still have it, but I loathe it. It had so many issues and the ink was expensive and didn't last long at all. I read a bunch of reviews and finally settled on the Epson Artisan 810. I love it. The research I've done suggests that Epson ink is cheaper and better than HP ink. As is Canon. The Artisan does everything that my HP did and more! The only thing it doesn't do is duplexing (I think), although it might. It does a lot! I think if you check sales, you can get it for under $200. We got it when we got our MacBook directly from Apple b/c they were running a sale on printers when you bought a Mac. Forgot to add that it is wireless (love it!) and uses separate ink cart. for color and black.

I've been reading the reviews on this one, and I really like it! It's a bit more expensive than the HP I had pretty much decided on, but it sounds like it might be just right for us as far as features go.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I was looking at the Lexmark and really wanted it. I hear that the black ink is super cheap, but not the color. I use both so that wouldn't help. I would love being able to print on both sides though.