Menu

So I've Made it to the 2nd Round of Jeopardy Tryouts...

...by passing the online quiz. This means I have to go to Chicago, on my own dime (at the specific time and place they dictate).

Then, should I make it to the third round, they can call me to come out to L.A., again on my own dime, but then they might not even put me on the show. The "callback" to L.A. is an invitation, not a commitment. They decide who they want on the show based on the pool of contestants that are available that day.

Considering this could get quite expensive, should I even bother?

...by passing the online quiz. This means I have to go to Chicago, on my own dime (at the specific time and place they dictate).

Then, should I make it to the third round, they can call me to come out to L.A., again on my own dime, but then they might not even put me on the show. The "callback" to L.A. is an invitation, not a commitment. They decide who they want on the show based on the pool of contestants that are available that day.

If it won't be a hardship for your family, I think it would be fun to keep going. You know we'd all be routing for you!

I would. I am not really Jeopardy material, I'm more Wheel of Fortune.:lol:

We'll root for you if you go!:D

My mother has gone through the process a couple of times and has had so much fun (even though she has yet to have the chance to be on the show). As someone else said, the try-out process is really, really hard. And even if you make it through, your name won't necessarily come up to get to go to LA (much less be on the show), but... It would be so cool! :)

(Actually, I have another friend from high school who made it onto the show. Unfortunately she didn't win, and she hated being in LA -- too bad, 'cause I *still* miss living there!) :)

How exciting! If I could afford it, I'd do it. Do you live far from Chicago? Maybe we could help you with some inexpensive ideas of places to stay if you come here.

Ooh, that would be great! The tryouts are at the downtown Westin Hotel.

I don't live too far from Chicago. I'm in the U.P. of Michigan, so I am remote to virtually every major metropolitan area in the U.S., but Chicago is the closest of those.

Our little airport has daily commuter flights to Chicago; a ticket is about $300. So we could swing that, even if I had to stay a night in a hotel.

Getting out to L.A., on the other hand, probably would be a financial hardship. I know that my family would be very supportive, and probably lend me (or even give me outright) at least some of the money to go. But I am frugal by nature, and the thought of spending good $$$ on a plane ticket (that may turn out to be utterly pointless) just kind of sticks in my craw.

But, if the second round tryouts are really hard, what the heck! In a way, that makes me want to go, because I can afford a little Chicago get-away. It's the L.A. leg of the journey that has me worried.

I got the mental_floss and College Quiz Bowl books to study. If anybody knows of good trivia books, let me know!