Menu

How much would you charge...

I would ask a local daycare provider who does it out of her house. It seems like you should be charging daycare rates, not babysitting rates. Also, I don't know what the rules/laws are where you are, but here you're not suppose to have more than a certain many of kids, especially with an under-2 y/o. My friend charged extra for kids under one because she had to watch less kids and they need more attention.

I have a question (because I really have no idea). Are you allowed to watch another parent's kids in Texas without being registered in some way? Someone in my neighborhood got in trouble for this when I lived in NC before. Some other neighbor turned her in (eta: but, I think she was taking care of kids from more than one family or something?).

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Unless you know that the mother is going to be very prompt in picking up I would charge by the hr. It never worked for me to charge by the day.

I agree that you need to find the going rate for your area.

This is something to keep in mind.

When I did in-home daycare/babysitting, we had agreed upon hours and days, and I charged a set fee/week. I would also threaten to charge extra if they exceeded the previously agreed upon hours without prior notice.

For example, if they say they want you to watch their children from 7:30am to 5pm, do NOT allow them to start dropping their kids off at 7:15. If they do, charge them extra. In any other job, you would not be expected to show up at work early with only seconds of notice.

Also, I always needed that extra 15 minutes in the morning to do last minute things: throw in laundry, brush my teeth, finish breakfast, vacuum. If the kids arrive unexpectedly early, you cannot do these things...and you will not be paid for the extra time you are with their kids.

Likewise, make it clear that pickup time means that they cannot be late. They are getting paid if they choose to work an extra 20 minutes....you are not. Likewise, it is unfair to your family to tell them, "We'll eat in 15 minutes (5pm) when the babysitting kids go home,"....and have that become 5:35pm.

Also, payment in ADVANCE. Ask me how I know. (Still waiting on $1190+ in arrears from one gal a year ago.)

Anything 4 hours or more: $40.00 per day with a minimum of two days a week

Under 4 hours: Flat $20.00 rate

This is based on my childcare hours of 6:45 AM till 5:30 PM, so make sure you are clear on the times that the child will be in your care.

*Oh, and I totally agree with being paid in advance. This is very good advice.

You may also want to have some policies that you write up and have them agree to... (what do the parents supply? Formula, diapers, etc.... , what to do if the child is sick, time off, etc... )

Edited by Joyfullyblessed