Menu

Singapore Math: Best place to purchase?

Mommyfaithe

I buy from Singapore Math.

It seems that they have some things cheaper than Rainbow. It was easier for me just to buy all the math at one place rather than mixing between which had a cheaper part of the program, but that would be another way to go.

(And I really like the standards edition... and I use a few other supplemental books that are only at Singapore math.)

I usually order from RR but only when I've got $150 worth on my order so shipping is free. Still takes WAY longer than I really think it should but I guess you get what you pay for?!! ;) Everything always arrives in great shape though. :)

ETA: We use the US Edition. :)

Edited by rootsnwings

It is just me loosing my mind or is it true? I am looking in the Singapore math site and the Home Instructor's guide goes for $47.00 and at Rainbow Resources goes for $16.50. Seems like too much price difference for the same thing. Am I loosing my mind?

I think you must be confusing the "Teacher's Guide" with the HIG (Home Instructors Guide). They are different books.

Bill

What is the difference Bill? Excuse the ignorance, I haven't used the program yet. Do I need both?

I know very little about the Teacher's Guides. From what I understand (and I appreciate corrections by those who may know better if I have anything wrong) the Teacher's Guides were produced in Singapore for classroom teachers and are fairly expensive.

The HIGs were written by Jenny (Jeniffer Hoerst) who runs the forum at singaporemath. Here in the USA. The HIGs are written specifically for parents who homeschool or after school their children.

There are HIGs for the US Edition series, and also for most (almost all now?) of the Standards Edition series. The author and most parents seem to agree the SE HIGs are a big improvement over the earlier US Edition HIGs.

I have never seen the Teacher's Guides. I think very few parents use them due to the cost, but the few comments I remember about them by people using them were positive. And there was a period when the roll-out of the SE HIGs was lagging behind the release of the Textbooks and Workbooks (and I'm not sure if the Level 6 HIGs are out yet) when one could only get the Teacher's Guides (if one wanted a teaching text).

Bottom line? Most parents (who use any kind of teachers book) tend to get the HIGs.

Bill