Menu

Help! What to give/do for stomach cramps from stomach virus?

I need some fast help for DD8, who's in her bed crying from stomach cramp pain :( She seems to have a tummy bug--throwing up yesterday morning, low-grade fever (in the 99-100 range) that comes and goes, diarrhea yesterday. Now she has diarrhea again, and is crying from the pain of the stomach cramps. What can I give her to ease the pain? Will Pepto do the job? A hot water bottle? Something else?

TIA!!!

Ginger is supposed to help settle the tummy. Celestial Seasonings makes a ginger tea (I think). I have seen it at the store at any rate.

Fluids will help too, the Gatorade has the electrolytes in it. If not Gatorade then Pedialyte or Propel will do it as well. They all have electrolytes.

:grouphug:

Does anyone else have a tummy bug? Just wondering as our pastor's son had the same symptoms and his ended up being a ruptured appendix. If it could possibly be appendix, treatment sooner than better is called for.

I need some fast help for DD8, who's in her bed crying from stomach cramp pain :( She seems to have a tummy bug--throwing up yesterday morning, low-grade fever (in the 99-100 range) that comes and goes, diarrhea yesterday. Now she has diarrhea again, and is crying from the pain of the stomach cramps. What can I give her to ease the pain? Will Pepto do the job? A hot water bottle? Something else?

TIA!!!

Does anyone else have a tummy bug? Just wondering as our pastor's son had the same symptoms and his ended up being a ruptured appendix. If it could possibly be appendix, treatment sooner than better is called for.

Ha! Actually, yes. I did think of the appendix thing when she seemed to be in the most pain, but as I was typing a response to Melissa in St. Louis (when hers was the only response), DD5 threw up all over the hallway and has been barfing for the last several hours :(

I did see that Pepto was not for young kids, so DH stopped and bought the Maalox on the way home. Of course, by the time he got here, DD8 had gotten sucked into the Wizards of Waverly Place on Netflix and wasn't complaining anymore, and they both fell asleep shortly thereafter! I didn't know about the dehydration element, so I'll work on that tomorrow for both of them. I did think of Imodium too, but wasn't sure about the age range. I'll call the ped tomorrow if we have more problems.

Thank you all! It's been a whirlwind of a night :willy_nilly: Now I need to post a thread about how to get the barf smell out of plush carpeting :glare: and count the minutes until I start puking too :crying:

I always try the natural remedies first and what has worked like a charm for us is Grapefruit Seed Extract. I make sure I give it in a glass of water, only 2-3 drops because it's quite potent. It does have a tendency to sink to the bottom because it's heavier than water though. And, of course, it tastes awful!

I'm glad to hear your dd is feeling better! :001_smile: