Menu

Is it safe to give my 17yo dd these vaccines?

It is the Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and acellular pertussis) and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, which would be given on the same day. This is a new requirement as dd's public high school for 12th grade students. I can opt out of her getting them at school and get them done privately, or of course sign a waiver.

My dd got the typical vaccines as a youngster, but one-by-one for the most part and considerably later for all of them. I am anti- giving tons of vaccines at a time to young children, but I do believe in immunizing one at a time.

I know that we want to have dd immunized against meningitis before she goes to college, but I thought that was going to be it.

Any advice?

It is the Tdap (tetanus, diptheria and acellular pertussis) and the varicella (chickenpox) vaccine, which would be given on the same day. This is a new requirement as dd's public high school for 12th grade students. I can opt out of her getting them at school and get them done privately, or of course sign a waiver.

My dd got the typical vaccines as a youngster, but one-by-one for the most part and considerably later for all of them. I am anti- giving tons of vaccines at a time to young children, but I do believe in immunizing one at a time.

I know that we want to have dd immunized against meningitis before she goes to college, but I thought that was going to be it.

Any advice?

Do you have time before the next school year to get them several weeks apart?

Any advice?

Did she not have chicken pox? Because if she did, she could simply get a titer to verify immunity.

my kids' immunization chart shows only tetanus/diptheria after age 4-6yo. :confused:

Actually, in the last few years it's been a problem with teens getting pertussis. Two of our homeschooling friends (who were young teens) were hospitalized with pertussis last year.

eta: I think that's why they've changed the recommendation.

She had chicken pox when she was 5. Maybe I will have her get the Tdap at school and take her to the doctor for the chicken pox titer. That sounds safer to me. Thanks, ladies!

If she's never had issues with vaccinations, this sounds like a good plan to me (one vaccine at a time, and doing a titer before doing the other to see if it's necessary).

FWIW, it's not a great idea to give Tylenol to a kid having a vaccination. Tylenol depletes glutathione, the liver's "detox" weapon. If you give Tylenol on the same day you give the vaccine, you're depleting the body's glutathione when it's needed most.

HIH,

Lisa

I had pertussis this past fall--IT WAS HORRIBLE! If a college student were to get this they would have to drop out of that semester. It is now one of the 'required' boosters for teens.

If your dd had chiken pox at age 5 all you should have to do is to declare 'aquired' immunity and give the aprox. date she had it.