Menu

Dr. Recommends: Sugar busters for kids?

My child is 5 and in the 60% for height and 90% for weight. My doctor suggested that I have him have a whole grain, high protein, lower glycemic carb diet: Sugar Busters:

1. No juice...just roaring waters and sobe lifewater.

2. Dessert only 2 times a week. No candy or cookies. Use sugar free jello or sugar free pudding with cool whip. REAL FOOD?

3. Whole grains: popcorn, WG bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta, loads of high fiber fruits and veggies.

4. No white carbs

Both of my kid's are on the heavier side. They have small waists but broader shoulders and legs. My 5 year old is involved in soccer and swim classes. I am a careful parent (1- 4 oz juice a day, whole grains with some white foods, dessert but not everyday). Have you ever experienced this? Did they thin out? What do you suggest?

I think it sounds like an excellent plan (not that I'm ready to do that here! as much as I'd like to). Instead of the "fake" desserts, however, I'd probably rather do fruit (might be too much sugar for Sugar Busters?).

I know families who have had success with the no-white-foods concept though.

I don't think you'll miss juice. We're not exactly healthy eaters over here, and I never buy juice.

That is what we are attempting with one of our kids. He is prediabetic or more scientifically as dr's dx is Impaired Glucose Tolerance. High protien, low carb diet. Sort of like the low carb diet that my hubby and I are on but he gets to have a bit more grains than we do.

Dr (endo) told us High protien and low carb but with few whole wheat (not much!!). Cut out sugar and even artificial sweetners. I never buy juice here at our house. We have tea and the kids love tea and water. We do have an occasional coke but not much (probably on average one day aweek)

Holly

I think the dr.'s advice sounds good and I would try to follow it (except for the 'sugar free' dessert stuff - I refuse to use artificial sweeteners and wouldn't feed them to my kids. Instead, do berries with an oat topping for dessert or other healthier, whole-food dessert options).

I would cut out the juice for beverages altogether and use water for thirst quenching. Some milk at meals is fine. I would seriously examine the amount of sugar in the everyday diet (including carbs and ingredients in foods like peanut butter, jelly, dressings, boxed foods, etc...). I would up protein-rich snacks and reduce carb-based snacks.

I would make small changes eta time. My son is in the 99% for height and weight. He had been this way since his first checkup.

My kids only eat whole wheat bread because that is all they have ever been given. They rarely eat bread though. There are so many tasty pastas that are wheat mixes. We also eat a mostly vegetarian diet. Kids do not need juice everyday. Get the kids cute water bottles. Begun exercising as a family.

Baby steps. The whole family will benefit.

I would cut out the juice for beverages altogether and use water for thirst quenching. Some milk at meals is fine.

I agree about the juice. It's empty calories. If you give your kids juice because you think it's a good fruit replacement, it's really not. The juice is lacking the qualities in the actual fruit. Eating an orange is much better for you than drinking orange juice.

I would not use sugar free desserts. I don't eat, or serve my family artificial sweeteners. Every one of them has its own issues. I would rather serve a homemade dessert with real sugar, have fruit for dessert, have smaller portions or have dessert less often.

We live a low sugar and lifestyle in our house. All of our foods are homemade so there is no sugar in anything unless I put it there. We also are careful with the refined/no white foods concept.

If I were you, I would keep an eye on the kids portions sizes and what they eat. Most people eat larger portions than is necessary. Fresh fruits and veggies make good snacks. Make sure they get enough protein. Think about their calorie intake versus their activity level. I have one child that asks for food every time she's bored.

I disagree with the Doctor's recommendation for Sobe Lifewater and Roarin' Waters. They both have junk in them including sweeteners. If the kids are thirsty, let them drink water. Plain water.

You can cut out a lot of excess calories per day by cutting out sweetened beverages. Read the labels on your foods. I can guarantee you are taking in more "sugars" than you are think you are if you are buying processed foods and beverages.

My child is 5 and in the 60% for height and 90% for weight. My doctor suggested that I have him have a whole grain, high protein, lower glycemic carb diet: Sugar Busters:

1. No juice...just roaring waters and sobe lifewater.

2. Dessert only 2 times a week. No candy or cookies. Use sugar free jello or sugar free pudding with cool whip. REAL FOOD?

3. Whole grains: popcorn, WG bread, brown rice, whole grain pasta, loads of high fiber fruits and veggies.

4. No white carbs

Both of my kid's are on the heavier side. They have small waists but broader shoulders and legs. My 5 year old is involved in soccer and swim classes. I am a careful parent (1- 4 oz juice a day, whole grains with some white foods, dessert but not everyday). Have you ever experienced this? Did they thin out? What do you suggest?

My dc aren't overweight (genetically, closer to underweight but healthy) and they eat like this all the time. It isn't in the interest of weight control but just being healthy and taught healthy habits. We do have other health problems that crop up in our family later on (cholesterol, cancer, and heart disease) so we all try to eat in a healthy manner.

The biggest difference for us is that I don't give my dc anything sugar-free. I don't have any idea what artificial sweeteners do to little bodies. They do get sweets occasionally bit it's the real thing. Mostly, they eat A LOT of fruit.

I'm all for lower-sugar eating (well, except for the fake foods... blech). We're also in the process of eating more raw veggies (my kids will eat salad, I'm just gradually increasing the amount and frequency of the salads, as well as what veggies are in them).

But, we are doing this as a family.

As a side note, my oldest son is 60th percentile for height and 85th for weight. He always has been... he is rock-solid. He wore slims (or adjustable waist pants cinched all the way in) when he was younger. He used to have a little belly-fat (not a lot, and nothing swimming didn't cure), but I'd be giving our doctor the evil eye if they told me to put already thin son on a diet.

How many calories are kids supposed to get every day? I know adults it is 1200-1800 when dieting. :confused:

Comparing calories and carbs is like comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't worry about calories at this point.

In addition to the other advice given, look at starchy foods too--basically carbs can be broken up into 2 groups--starches and sugars (starches turn to sugar in the body anyway, but are easily overlooked by people who are dieting). Potatoes, for example, have lots of starch, but often dieters look at a baked potato as a good choice. Corn is also starchy.

Should I have his body fat checked to make sure he is overweight? He is 5. If you met my kid and I told you that they consider him overweight, you would laugh. He looks fit but more of a football players build (broad shoulders, see the muscles in his tummy etc)

A dr told me my dd was overweight at age 3. She was 50th for height and 75th for weight. Dd had abdominal muscle definition and a deltoid cut. I told dr to pick her up... dr said, "Wow, she's solid!" I switched doctors.

Just pinch body fat- I would think 1/2 inch would be normal on kids (not sure though, maybe look it up.) Always good to lower sugar intake, though- and eat natural foods.

How many calories are kids supposed to get every day? I know adults it is 1200-1800 when dieting. :confused:

Don't worry about calories too much at this point. 100 calories of chocolate chip cookies does not equal 100 calories of apple with skin on it. I'd suggest concentrating on learning more about nutrition. You could start with something like Dr. Oz's book You on a Diet. His TV show is also good; I watch with my son sometimes. Dr. Oz keeps it light-hearted but informative.

Give yourself time to learn more and then experiment with what works for your family. Good luck!