Menu

Just one food diet?

Have you ever done a diet of just one food? I read this yesterday, and am intrigued by it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11864290

I remember my mom saying that she just ate apples for 10 days once. She said she felt really good on it.

If you have any experience with a one-food diet, please share.

Perhaps for a very short period of time like a "fast". But, it is unhealthy to NOT eat from "the food groups". The food pyramid provides a wide range of nutrients: vitamins, minerals, etc.

I am on a very limited diet due to some digestive issues and I can tell you it is driving me crazy! My diet is for 6-8 weeks, and that is what is keeping me going---knowing it is going to end! I can't imagine feeling good on only one food. And the boredom, oh the boredom!

I am on a very limited diet due to some digestive issues and I can tell you it is driving me crazy! My diet is for 6-8 weeks, and that is what is keeping me going---knowing it is going to end! I can't imagine feeling good on only one food. And the boredom, oh the boredom!

Boredom is an understatement! I'd call it Food Psychosis!

Rosie

When I was in high school, I was anorexic and lived on a diet of nearly nothing but white hamburger buns for quite some time, with the occasional iceberg lettuce salad thrown in. It didn't go well. It's much better to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables than to try different eating fads. There is no one food that provides everything your body needs.

Okay, I didn't mean ice cream or white hamburger buns or supplements, lol. The article is about potatoes, and my mom did the apple "fast", lol. And I didn't mean this forever, but just for a limited time, like my mom's ten days or the guy in the article's 60 days. I'm just intrigued by the idea.

I'm guessing no one has done this before with whole foods. That's fine; I was just wondering if anyone had, and what their experience was. Thanks for sharing.

It's much better to eat a variety of fruits and vegetables than to try different eating fads. There is no one food that provides everything your body needs.

I wonder how few foods a bod could manage on. I daresay I'd do pretty well on mung beans, quinoa and baby spinach. I'd die of boredom, but that aside, those three foods would probably leave me no worse than I am now.

Rosie

Many people do mono diets, as they are called, for health reasons. Or spiritual reasons.

Yogis in the Himalayas are known to have lived for years on just fresh milk. (not pasteurised and homogenised though:) )

And many people go on mono diets of oranges, or grapes, or juices. It gives the digestive system a real break from its job and basically has similar benefits to fasting, and is generally considered a type of fast. Generally one chooses a raw food, and often its a fruit, or perhaps a vegetable juice (many people have fasted on carrot juice).

It is not meant to be done forever (except perhaps for a yogi). It is a short term thing and many people find they feel great on it. Of course in the long term one needs more nutrition, but in the short term, the break from all that digesting of various foods is good for the system and can be a kick start for weight loss too.

If you google monodiet or mono diet you will find a lot of good information.