Menu

spelling program for this type of kid

shinyhappypeople

She just spelled celebrating "seubrading" and chinese "cieas"

Even though she pronounces the words correctly and can read them (when someone else writes them), she forgets to write ALL the sounds when she has to write them.

So, All About Spelling, Sequential Spelling or something else?

ETA: She's 7-1/2, 2nd grade, reading solidly at grade level.

I would say AAS, because she may need the phonics. It may help it click for her that c and h together make the ch sound (for example). She can know it to read, but may need to hear the rules for spelling.

I think the rules would really help her understand why words are spelled the way they are, so she wouldn't blank out when asked to spell.

HTH!

Before you invest in a new spelling program, you can just work with her on breaking words down into syllables and then into sounds. Make sure she can clap the syllables, and then work with her on being able to identify the sounds in each syllable. If she struggles, use tokens for the number of sounds and show her how to pull down one token for each sound. I think the Barton program has a video demonstration of this on their website. Once she can do that fluently, choose a spelling program that has a style you think will work with her.

My son has the same issue and no matter which spelling program we do, we would still have to work on that fundamental step. ANY word he has to spell, I cue him to break it into syllables and then determine the sounds. It goes against his nature and is hard work, but so, so important.

AAS starts out teaching a huge chunk of phonograms, then has the child work on listening to each phonogram in a word, pulling tokens down as they say each one. This really helped my son slow down and think about a word before spelling it.

I highly recommend it. We're almost through level 1 with my first grader, and I've seen such a difference in such a short time - now that he knows to listen for those phonograms and also knows a little more of the phonics rules.

My DD is 6.5 and still does that sometimes. I think anything that teaches them to listen for all of the sounds before they start writing would work, so that would include All About Spelling, Phonics Road, Spell to Write and Read, The Writing Road to Reading, and probably 25 others that I don't know about, lol. I know with my dd it's usually just an issue of not thinking it through first. Of course, at her age she still misspells lots of words even when she does think it through, but at least she gets something that makes sense when she slows down and thinks about it. (We use Phonics Road.)

My DD is 6.5 and still does that sometimes. I think anything that teaches them to listen for all of the sounds before they start writing would work, so that would include All About Spelling, Phonics Road, Spell to Write and Read, The Writing Road to Reading, and probably 25 others that I don't know about, lol. I know with my dd it's usually just an issue of not thinking it through first. Of course, at her age she still misspells lots of words even when she does think it through, but at least she gets something that makes sense when she slows down and thinks about it. (We use Phonics Road.)
:iagree: We love PR, but the others mentioned here are great!

She just spelled celebrating "seubrading" and chinese "cieas"

Even though she pronounces the words correctly and can read them (when someone else writes them), she forgets to write ALL the sounds when she has to write them.

So, All About Spelling, Sequential Spelling or something else?

ETA: She's 7-1/2, 2nd grade, reading solidly at grade level.

Actually that sounds like a problem hearing all the sounds in the word. I would look at doing LiPS (my first choice, but not cheap) or Earobics. Something that works hearing the sounds.

My 3rd dd couldn't hear the difference between short i and short e, nor did she hear both sounds in blends. LiPS taught her to hear the difference.

Until you deal with that root issue of hearing sounds, you probably won't find success with any spelling program. AAS would help her build visual memory of words, and teach her the rules, so it would help, but it won't fix the root problem.

Heather