Menu

Talk to me about LLATL

Whereneverever

Or some other LA program. I think I really want something all in one. I've also looked at Writing Tales, but I'm nervous about it only having two levels.

DD is finishing R&S English 2 and Spelling 2. We're not doing a reading/lit program, but I think we'd like one. She's currently reading The Last Battle from Narnia.

Would something like LLATL be good? I was looking at the Yellow Level. Or maybe Orange.

Any other ideas?:bigear:

Edited by theretohere

I really like LLATL. Have you checked out the http://www.commonsensepress.com/covers.htm web site to look at and try the samples? You will likely need to find the correct level to match your dd reading level.

I've been poking around looking and I'm a little unsure- what's more important, matching reading level or writing level?

You are going to have to work that answer out based on your student. Instruction level isn't working at their absolute top or bottom skill, and finding a balance can take effort.

Look at the book list and the sample lessons and then you may need to print and try before you purchase.

I've been poking around looking and I'm a little unsure- what's more important, matching reading level or writing level?

Greetings!

First year homeschooling, here, to a 4th and 3rd grader. I got Orange for grade 4 and Yellow for 3rd. At first I thought this was the neatest book. Then it seemed reaaally easy for them. However, when it came time to test, they did awful in grammar! My son finally turned to me and told me that they don't explain it and that they spend like on day on a certain part of speech (or other grammar topic). It's true. I paid more attention and realized the grammar was a bit weak. It does have creative elements, and I think there is probably sufficient writing and copywork.

Last week I ended up buying FLL 3 for both kids and they LOVE how the information is presented and followed up. And so am I, honestly. It feels more like education than LLATL did.

However... since I already have LLATL, I will from now on just pick the neat parts and do those. We'll not even go through any grammar or spelling or writing in LLATL (that sounds kind of pathetic, I know, but we're covering those topics from other books). I'll use it for the "Literature Links" and other intersting things like my 4th grader's Research Unit. Those can be useful for us, for sure.

I felt the levels were too easy for the grade level. Maybe that's b/c the school district my kids were in before h/s was good. Maybe LLATL is a little on the easy side. Those are my thoughts and my experience. I started to question LLATL back in the fall, and finally in January just had to move on for some real meaty grammar and writing.

Greetings!

First year homeschooling, here, to a 4th and 3rd grader. I got Orange for grade 4 and Yellow for 3rd. At first I thought this was the neatest book. Then it seemed reaaally easy for them. However, when it came time to test, they did awful in grammar! My son finally turned to me and told me that they don't explain it and that they spend like on day on a certain part of speech (or other grammar topic). It's true. I paid more attention and realized the grammar was a bit weak. It does have creative elements, and I think there is probably sufficient writing and copywork.

Last week I ended up buying FLL 3 for both kids and they LOVE how the information is presented and followed up. And so am I, honestly. It feels more like education than LLATL did.

However... since I already have LLATL, I will from now on just pick the neat parts and do those. We'll not even go through any grammar or spelling or writing in LLATL (that sounds kind of pathetic, I know, but we're covering those topics from other books). I'll use it for the "Literature Links" and other intersting things like my 4th grader's Research Unit. Those can be useful for us, for sure.

I felt the levels were too easy for the grade level. Maybe that's b/c the school district my kids were in before h/s was good. Maybe LLATL is a little on the easy side. Those are my thoughts and my experience. I started to question LLATL back in the fall, and finally in January just had to move on for some real meaty grammar and writing.

Interesting- thanks! We started with FLL and my DD was really bored by it, so if this is less grammar and slower moving then that's not really a great solution for us.:tongue_smilie:

Any other suggestions?

I tried LLATL in 3rd grade because I wanted to take our homeschool in a more nontraditional direction. By Christmas break, I knew we had to switch. I wound up choosing BJU for the rest of 3rd and 4th. It greatly brought up dd's language arts skills on her tests.

Honestly, I've not found an all in one program I like. You might consider Total Language Plus. I only used it for 2 books a few years ago.

I tried LLATL in 3rd grade because I wanted to take our homeschool in a more nontraditional direction. By Christmas break, I knew we had to switch. I wound up choosing BJU for the rest of 3rd and 4th. It greatly brought up dd's language arts skills on her tests.

Honestly, I've not found an all in one program I like. You might consider Total Language Plus. I only used it for 2 books a few years ago.

I keep really wanting an all in one program, and not finding one.

I'm starting to feel like I'll be piecing next year together, as well. :glare:

Thanks!

I really wanted to like LLATL. I wanted to like it so much that I bought it 2 times and then sold it....2 TIMES! It just did not work for us. It was too...um..jumpy? It just jumps around without making any sense to me. There was not enough review of grammar topics. And before I even bought it I was told that I would need to supplement spelling and grammar since LLATL was so light on these topics. That should have been a red flag.

I have decided that there is no such thing as a complete language arts program out there that is really complete. :)

Amanda

http://teachthemdiligently-amanda.blogspot.com/

I really wanted to like LLATL. I wanted to like it so much that I bought it 2 times and then sold it....2 TIMES! It just did not work for us. It was too...um..jumpy? It just jumps around without making any sense to me. There was not enough review of grammar topics. And before I even bought it I was told that I would need to supplement spelling and grammar since LLATL was so light on these topics. That should have been a red flag.

I have decided that there is no such thing as a complete language arts program out there that is really complete. :)

Amanda

http://teachthemdiligently-amanda.blogspot.com/

I really appreciate the reinforcement- it's helping me feel like I'm making the right decision.

I really don't want something too light on grammar!

I use it and like it. I prefer it to Sonlight that we struggled to keep up with. I find it's really easy to adapt and it makes it flexible for me. I usually check out some of the books that are used for the dictation passages for extra reading and we do Spelling Power in addition to LLATL. That has worked well for us. I like that it has dictation and a lot of creative type writing, which is what my dd is strong in. It plays to her strengths and my dd has really turned out some top notch writing assignments using LLATL. Last year (7th grade) we did a great deal of sentence diagramming that got very complex. I didn't find it light in grammar at all. Hope this helps. :)

We like LLATL here :D I like the copywork/dictation and for us the grammar is just fine. My dd is using the purple book and also does ILL.

My ds is using the tan book. He was using Saxon Grammar to go along with it but stopped a few weeks ago (we added in Greek).

Next year we won't use LLATL though :( . The two older kiddos using LLATL this year will use Bob Jones dvds next year.