Menu

Holling C. Holling books, like them?

Another Lynn

DS and I have read Paddle to the Sea, Tree in the Trail, and Seabird. I'll admit it took me a couple pages to get "into them." DS loved them. This year we're reading Minn of the Mississippi. DS likes it fine. I can't stand it! I think I really just don't like the way he writes. Am I the only one? What am I missing?

I can understánd what you mean. I think they do appeal to a certain type of person. Our two absolutely loved them. I read them aloud to them. I wasn't keen at all on Seabird and Tree in the Trail. I have to say though our children still talk about Pagoo. They have a really special affection for hermit crabs to this day even though it is a few years since we read the book. They carved their own 'Paddle to the Sea' and set it sailing down a river in the Welsh Hills hoping to catch up with it in the Irish Sea.

These books really caught their imaginations. I kept, doggedly, reading them to the end because I knew they were enjoying them so much. I was amazed how much they loved them. I am sure I would have found them dull as a child but, well, there you go. :rolleyes:

Are you doing the Beautiful Feet Geography Guide and Map Pack along with the books? That added a lot to the books *for me*. Also, I enjoyed the first 3 (more story-like) books of "Paddle...", "Tree..." and "Seabird", but had a hard time with "Minn..." (more research-paper-like). Guess which one was the favorite of my 2 boys?!! Yep -- "Minn"!. (LOL!)

If you kids are enjoying them and getting a lot out of them -- persevere! Maybe try the BF guide to spice it up for you. Maybe alternate you readings: a Holling book, then something else more appealing to you. But, really, if they're enjoying and learning -- isn't homeschooling about the kids and their education, and having some quality family time reading together? : )

Warmest regards, Lori D.

We are reading Paddle to the Sea the second time around. We love this book. We have read Tree in the Trail. I didn't like that one as much. We have also started Seabird, so far so good. We are a hands on kind of family. We make a mini unit study out of these books so I think this makes it fun for the kids. When we first started Paddle, we made him out clay then painted him. My kids enjoy doing these kind of projects so this might be what adds to the enjoyment.

Julia

mom of 3 (8,7,5)

We have read Tree in the Trail at least a dozen times. My dc loved it. The large cottonwood tree in the backyard and our proximity to the Santa Fe Trail might be related to this love. :-) We are reading Paddle to the Sea and they are enjoying it immensely. We just read one page a night and not more than a few a week. It is always a read aloud only.

If you kids are enjoying them and getting a lot out of them -- persevere! Maybe try the BF guide to spice it up for you. Maybe alternate you readings: a Holling book, then something else more appealing to you. But, really, if they're enjoying and learning -- isn't homeschooling about the kids and their education, and having some quality family time reading together? : )

Warmest regards, Lori D.

LOL, that is the general idea, but sometimes I put my preferences and conveniences first :) Seriously, I do plan to persevere through it, but I will be SO glad when we're through!

Thanks all for the responses! Maybe it will grow on me - I did eventually like the others (oh, yeah, and Pagoo too).

Well, I think the syntax is more what you used to see in turn of the century books. Sentences can get pretty convulated. Thornton Burgess can be the same. All in all, however, I think more complex syntax is actually good mental work for the brain!

I do like these books and my guys love the illustrations. I've used the BF geography studies with them. Don't like the one for Seabird, but the rest are fine.

Regena