Menu

Wanna give me your feedback? :)

Posted this on my blog today:

http://nancextoo.livejournal.com/175611.html

(Kind of an 'article' about what a homeschooler "does" every day).

Would enjoy feedback... (and would also like to know if you guys can see all the pictures, as opposed to big blank spaces or blank white boxes, as I made it pretty picture intensive).

Thanks! :)

Great post! I had no trouble seeing the pictures through Safari (Mac). We use OM also. My dd doesn't enjoy the projects the way your dd seems to. :confused: It looks like you did a lot of fun things that month.

Really? That's too bad, OM has so many great projects! Is she more into reading/writing as opposed to the hands on/crafty stuff? Thanks for your feedback and letting me know about the pictures showing up okay with your browser!

I LOVE your post! How do you come up with so many awesome ideas?

LOL well a lot of them aren't really mine. A lot of them are directly from the Oak Meadow curriculum (like the candlemaking, the biome observation, furnishing the president's mansion, the homemade ink, the word collage, etc.

Some are things I've heard about here (the book challenge, times tales, etc).

Some things I just come across online (the cupcake ideas, the peace dove which was from Enchanted Learning, the printable "Let's Play" kits)

Some are ideas my kids come up with and we just go with. And every once in a while, I get a little creative, too. :)

Nancy, I loved your blog! I linked it to a friend of mine who has 2 gifted kids and is considering starting homeschooling next year. I thought it would be a great intro into "what is homeschooling like".

I do Oak Meadow too, but I guess I follow it more strictly (and not as fun!). Do you still do all the "assignments" in OM, or do you cut some of them to make more room for the other fun stuff? If we do all the "assignments" we don't have that much time left. (But DD11 is a very slow mover who needs lots of prodding to finish work...)

Like it, Nance. Good job! Really though you put me to shame....;) You seem to accomplish more in your homeschooling day than I do in mine!

Like you, I've been teaching my almost 12 yo dd life skills. I feel it's so important for her to learn how to: plant a garden, weed a garden, rake the lawn, use washer/dryer, etc, etc.

Nancy, I loved your blog! I linked it to a friend of mine who has 2 gifted kids and is considering starting homeschooling next year. I thought it would be a great intro into "what is homeschooling like".

I do Oak Meadow too, but I guess I follow it more strictly (and not as fun!). Do you still do all the "assignments" in OM, or do you cut some of them to make more room for the other fun stuff? If we do all the "assignments" we don't have that much time left. (But DD11 is a very slow mover who needs lots of prodding to finish work...)

Hi, we do almost all of the assignments. Every once in a while we skip or modify something but for the most part, we follow it. Sometimes I let her writing assignments be a bit shorter than what they ask for. And we don't necessarily do every single "extra credit" assignment- we pick and choose which ones sound the most fun. I also sit with my daughter and give her some handholding as needed to keep her focused on the things she might be slowest with or need the most help with, and the things I know she's good at doing independently I leave her alone to do (but still check on her regularly to see how it's going.

Are you doing 5th grade or 6th? Maybe 6th is more time consuming than 5th? I'm not sure.

Anyway, we do try to make the fun hands on stuff a priority!

Like it, Nance. Good job! Really though you put me to shame....;) You seem to accomplish more in your homeschooling day than I do in mine!

Like you, I've been teaching my almost 12 yo dd life skills. I feel it's so important for her to learn how to: plant a garden, weed a garden, rake the lawn, use washer/dryer, etc, etc.

Yes I agree, that stuff is definitely just as important as "school stuff!"

And lol I do feel like we accomplish a lot- but I also feel like I don't spend anywhere near as much time on it as a lot of people here do. It still feels thorough to me though! :)

We're doing 6th. It's really heavy on writing assignments (but I've heard that about all OM levels). The writing seems to take my DD a long time! I see you are using other things besides OM. Do you use OM science and SS, and then TT for math?

Maybe you just have more energy than me! :001_smile:

ETA, I just realized I called you Nancy but its Nance. Sorry!

Edited by coloradoperkins

We're doing 6th. It's really heavy on writing assignments (but I've heard that about all OM levels). The writing seems to take my DD a long time! I see you are using other things besides OM. Do you use OM science and SS, and then TT for math?

Maybe you just have more energy than me! :001_smile:

ETA, I just realized I called you Nancy but its Nance. Sorry!

Lol it's ok, nance is short for Nancy anyway.

I use OM English/History and Science and TT for math, yes. This is because I have older used versions of OM and in the version I have, they didn't used to have their own math curriculum from 5th grade on. They recommended Saxon! Blech! :) so after some research I opted for TT instead.