Menu

BJU high school science

We are using BJU Life Science with DVDs in 7th grade. I love them. I really love the way the entire lesson plans are organized for the teacher. It IS expensive, but I have NO problems with the teacher side of it. My dd, however, isn't crazy about this science. One disadvantage for us has been the time it takes to watch the DVD and then do the study/assignment that comes afterwards.

Ok, with that background, I'm researching high school science. I have a few questions about BJU high school science:

• Are the other sciences (physical, bio, chem, physics) as interesting and engaging as life science has been?
  • Are they AP classes or just prep for AP?
  • If you use the DVDs, are they as well-organized as our Life Science is?
  • How math intensive are they?
  • How time intensive are they? (student and teacher)
  • Do they have labs?

I would NEVER attempt to teach these classes without the DVD. I would consider continuing BJU science into high school and not change curriculum if dd would go along with this. I don't think she would.

What other science is as well organized as BJU and rigorous enough that it would prep for someone interested in becoming a vet? I need to be able to put science on and let dd just do it. I can monitor, of course, but I don't want to have to TEACH.

This is what I know.... LOL

I am one who has to dot every I and cross every T. So, with BJU, I had all of the keys, forms, etc. all spread out on the kitchen table. It was a lot to keep up with. I know others who use BJU and just let their kids handle it (I don't know the details of that, though). It does teach. There are teachers and classes that are better than others. We did physics, the teacher is very nice and knowledgable, but older and scattered and forgetful. That was hard for us to handle because the precalculus class was the same way (different teacher)..... so some days no homework, and then it seemed both of those classes did catch up and slammed ds with homework on the same days, oh, and just do the lab while you are at it (and the lab assumed four people doing it, so ds and I had to be lab partners..). The supply list for the physics labs was several hundred dollars, good thing my friend loaned me her supplies, still I had to purchase a good bit. Mrs. Vick is one of BJU's best teachers, I think she does the Life and Space & Earth sciences. I have heard good things about both of those. I know a few die hard BJU people say they didn't care for physical, but the same teacher does chemistry and everyone seems to like that course. My friend did the biology and said it was very good.

My opinion is that BJU sciences are quite rigorous. They also require real science lab type of experiments, which means a very expensive lab supply list (balance scale, microscope, etc.). The labs need to be done at home, not just watched on the dvd (physics helped with setting up but didn't do many in the class). Both of my dc are more liberal arts bent, and it would have been too much for them. We bailed out of the physics at 8 weeks, and went over to Apologia, which was more self study friendly. I am 100% Apologia now, especially with Virtual Homeschool Group to doing the classes.

This is what I know.... LOL

I am one who has to dot every I and cross every T. So, with BJU, I had all of the keys, forms, etc. all spread out on the kitchen table. It was a lot to keep up with. I know others who use BJU and just let their kids handle it (I don't know the details of that, though). It does teach. There are teachers and classes that are better than others. We did physics, the teacher is very nice and knowledgable, but older and scattered and forgetful. That was hard for us to handle because the precalculus class was the same way (different teacher)..... so some days no homework, and then it seemed both of those classes did catch up and slammed ds with homework on the same days, oh, and just do the lab while you are at it (and the lab assumed four people doing it, so ds and I had to be lab partners..). The supply list for the physics labs was several hundred dollars, good thing my friend loaned me her supplies, still I had to purchase a good bit. Mrs. Vick is one of BJU's best teachers, I think she does the Life and Space & Earth sciences. I have heard good things about both of those. I know a few die hard BJU people say they didn't care for physical, but the same teacher does chemistry and everyone seems to like that course. My friend did the biology and said it was very good.

My opinion is that BJU sciences are quite rigorous. They also require real science lab type of experiments, which means a very expensive lab supply list (balance scale, microscope, etc.). The labs need to be done at home, not just watched on the dvd (physics helped with setting up but didn't do many in the class). Both of my dc are more liberal arts bent, and it would have been too much for them. We bailed out of the physics at 8 weeks, and went over to Apologia, which was more self study friendly. I am 100% Apologia now, especially with Virtual Homeschool Group to doing the classes.

Thanks, Susan. It's the biology that I'm most interested in. Since we've done BJU Life Science it kind of makes since to use their biology to follow up.

Anyone else????

With the input of some of you, I also like the look of using Hippocampus with a text and also the Campbell Concepts and Connections with the on-line schedule. Again, I'm looking for great science classes with low teacher intensity.:D

I REALLY don't know if we can handle AP biology..... After BJU Life Science, would you suggest a "regular" college-prep biology or AP??? DD is making high Bs and low As in Life Science.

A couple of years ago I had two doing BJU Life Science with Mrs. Vick, who is an excellent teacher, and one doing BJU Biology with the DVD's. Textbook wise the Biology book just goes into much more depth than the Life Science textbook does.

On the other hand, while I know that there are people that like the BJU Biology teacher we didn't care for her. It was probably a combination of the way the high school math/science courses were recorded (BJLink) and the teacher. I won't use it again. I might use the textbook, but I won't use the DVD's. I'm actually my options, as my next two will be taking Biology in the fall.

This year I've used BJU Physical Science with two of them and BJU Physics with the oldest. I've learned a lot of science this year, but I don't want to work that hard next year!!!

Yvonne in NE

I've always felt BJU high school science was more college-like. The A Beka rep even told me he agreed with me. I'm sure there are those who would disagree with me, but I think Life Science is plenty for biology (if you are not going to be a science major in college). I just wouldn't call it Life Science. We did Space and Earth for high school (w/o dvds), that book compared exactly less the Christian parts to the text the local high school uses. We also did Apologia physical, biology, chemistry, and physics (didn't do BJU Biology or Life Science).

A couple of years ago I had two doing BJU Life Science with Mrs. Vick, who is an excellent teacher, and one doing BJU Biology with the DVD's. Textbook wise the Biology book just goes into much more depth than the Life Science textbook does.

On the other hand, while I know that there are people that like the BJU Biology teacher we didn't care for her. It was probably a combination of the way the high school math/science courses were recorded (BJLink) and the teacher. I won't use it again. I might use the textbook, but I won't use the DVD's. I'm actually my options, as my next two will be taking Biology in the fall.

This year I've used BJU Physical Science with two of them and BJU Physics with the oldest. I've learned a lot of science this year, but I don't want to work that hard next year!!!

Yvonne in NE

Thanks, Yvonne. I don't know what BJLink is. (This sounds like the old Homesat videos that I've heard of. Lots of people recorded them on VHS to rewatch later. )Would you explain it to me? Also, I'd love to understand why you won't use the DVDs. Is the organization different between Life Science and Biology?

We used BJU Life Science and Earth & Space Science for junior high. We are using BJU Biology with the DIVE DVDs this year. For us, it has been the perfect middle ground between all the time spent watching the BJU DVDs on the one hand and going it alone on the other hand. Just the more complex concepts are highlighted in the video lectures, plus there is a video of every lab.

I'm trying to reconcile your dd not liking science, but wanting to be a vet. That might be hard. :D None of my business, but before I chose a science path for high school, I would talk this out with her.

BJU is rigorous, and we chose it because my dds are interested in science careers. It isn't AP, but it does cover the same topics that dd saw in the Bio book used in honors classes at the private school she shadowed at. I am calling it Honors Biology, though I have also assigned a paper, some extra reading, and written lab reports.

We used BJU Life Science and Earth & Space Science for junior high. We are using BJU Biology with the DIVE DVDs this year. For us, it has been the perfect middle ground between all the time spent watching the BJU DVDs on the one hand and going it alone on the other hand. Just the more complex concepts are highlighted in the video lectures, plus there is a video of every lab.

I'm trying to reconcile your dd not liking science, but wanting to be a vet. That might be hard. :D None of my business, but before I chose a science path for high school, I would talk this out with her.

BJU is rigorous, and we chose it because my dds are interested in science careers. It isn't AP, but it does cover the same topics that dd saw in the Bio book used in honors classes at the private school she shadowed at. I am calling it Honors Biology, though I have also assigned a paper, some extra reading, and written lab reports.

Thanks, Angela! Just to clarify..... she loves biology. She 's not crazy about BJU. Actually, she's enjoying the 2nd semester (animals) a lot more than 1st semester. She was less familiar with that stuff.

I'm just kind of hoping that by the end of the semester she'll look back on BJU more favorably. It's the teaching method she'd like to change, but that is what I love about it. I do NOT want to teach high school science, and I'm trying to find something compatible for the two of us.

Thanks, Angela! Just to clarify..... she loves biology. She 's not crazy about BJU. Actually, she's enjoying the 2nd semester (animals) a lot more than 1st semester. She was less familiar with that stuff.

I'm just kind of hoping that by the end of the semester she'll look back on BJU more favorably. It's the teaching method she'd like to change, but that is what I love about it. I do NOT want to teach high school science, and I'm trying to find something compatible for the two of us.

Okay, that makes sense. :D

I would have her watch a sample of the DIVE (I'm assuming they have a sample on the site or will send you one.) My dds would not be happy if they had to watch hours a week of the BJU teacher going over everything, but they love the DIVE.

Alabama, is it possible a change in how you're using the materials would help? We're using the BJU Life Science with only the Investigations (lab) dvd set, not the entirety, and it's a good balance for us. We would have to go through the textbook together anyway, to outline and discuss, so this way it's just one step. We outline, read, and discuss, then she does the labs. So far so good. They have the labs dvd for the Earth Science as well.

Yes, the BJLink classes are the same thing as Homesat. The science/math classes are recordings that were done with a live distance class, therefore the teacher is interacting with kids at distance locations. I know that as new editions of the books come out there will eventually be new courses available without the 'live' interaction and more like the courses for 7th and 8th grade.

Couple of reasons that I haven't used the high school DVD's (other than Biology) -- either there is a newer edition of the textbook and I would prefer to use it, or I (or my kids) don't care for the teaching style. For example this year we are using Physical Science and Physics. Both of those courses have newer textbooks, but the DVD courses are with an older edition.

Also, I think because we were introduced to BJU Science through the 7th and 8th grade courses taught by Mrs. Vick my expectations were set high.

If you haven't already, you can always check out the sample video for each course on the BJU website.

Yvonne in NE

Alabama, is it possible a change in how you're using the materials would help? We're using the BJU Life Science with only the Investigations (lab) dvd set, not the entirety, and it's a good balance for us. We would have to go through the textbook together anyway, to outline and discuss, so this way it's just one step. We outline, read, and discuss, then she does the labs. So far so good. They have the labs dvd for the Earth Science as well.

Thanks, Elizabeth, I really haven't done a lot of research about BJU Biology, but what about that class? We're not going to do Earth/Space. Is there an investigation (lab) dvd set for biology?

We have used BJU for Biology and Chemistry. We loved the biology. My kids actually like the fact that the teacher is interacting with other kids. It makes them feel really smart when they can catch on faster.:D It also gives some moments where they can fast forward because they don't need the 5 minutes it takes the class to come up with the answer. (Hooray! Short class today!!) I liked the extra review the class gives. The teacher really emphasizes what points are important to learn. The chemistry was also very beneficial. It made the class a lot easier to figure out having the dvd's. My kids despised the teacher. I thought it was a good example of having to put up with a teacher you really can't stand. (They did like him better by the end of the year.) Both classes were very rigorous. They also took a whole lot of time up during the day. I think everyone here learned a lot from them.

Go check the Press website. I haven't looked far enough ahead to know. If there isn't, then you're back to the full class or DIVE. Are you sure you want to skip Earth/Space? I have fond memories of it from the few years I attended a christian school.

Well, we covered earth/space....ok, it was a couple of years ago. My oldest really didn't get into it, so I'm not pushing to repeat it. For next year (8th gd.) we're going to do CPO physical science (chemistry/physics). Since we're doing life science in 7th and we'll study chemistry and physics in 8th, I think we'll have a decent science background for high school..... at least I hope so.

We have used BJU for Biology and Chemistry. We loved the biology. My kids actually like the fact that the teacher is interacting with other kids. It makes them feel really smart when they can catch on faster.:D It also gives some moments where they can fast forward because they don't need the 5 minutes it takes the class to come up with the answer. (Hooray! Short class today!!) I liked the extra review the class gives. The teacher really emphasizes what points are important to learn. The chemistry was also very beneficial. It made the class a lot easier to figure out having the dvd's. My kids despised the teacher. I thought it was a good example of having to put up with a teacher you really can't stand. (They did like him better by the end of the year.) Both classes were very rigorous. They also took a whole lot of time up during the day. I think everyone here learned a lot from them.

Well, I hear some good things here and some things not so good..... for us. The DVDs certainly take the place of the mom teaching, yet the time factor worries me.

BJU is still one of my possibilities. Science for high school...... this is a tough one.

Thank you so much for answering my question, Lolly! :001_smile:

We've used BJU's Chemistry and Physics DVD classes. The Chemistry was wonderful and my ds loved it...the Physics, not so much. Like a pp mentioned, the teacher was quite old and a bit scattered....it got confusing. By the end of the year though my ds grew quite fond of him. =) He has now retired, I believe, so perhaps they have a new Physics teacher/DVD class.

I have every intention of my youngest ds using BJU's Physical, Chemistry and Biology. I already own them, so money is not an issue (I recorded the classes when I had the satellite) and I don't care about having the 'current' edition. I also, from experience, do not plan on making my ds do each and every lab assignment. Sometimes just watching them completed in class is enough. The Physics labs, especially, were SOOOOO time consuming! I finally allowed my ds to watch more of them than he actually performed himself. The class labs were wonderfully interesting to watch, and very informative.

I have the Biology recorded and while recording it I thought the classes were fantastic. I am thoroughly looking forward to my ds completing it in high school. BJU is very meaty. Meatier than ANY science I encountered in my high school years. I would not hesitate tweaking the assignment or workload to fit a particular students needs. For a science major, definitely do everything assigned, but if your dc is more of a liberal arts major, I think you have some room to tweak. ;) My ds wants to go to a bible college, and does not plan on going into any science field, so I'm not overly worried. But, should that change, I know BJU to have a top quality science program.

We've used BJU's Chemistry and Physics DVD classes. The Chemistry was wonderful and my ds loved it...the Physics, not so much. Like a pp mentioned, the teacher was quite old and a bit scattered....it got confusing. By the end of the year though my ds grew quite fond of him. =) He has now retired, I believe, so perhaps they have a new Physics teacher/DVD class.

I have every intention of my youngest ds using BJU's Physical, Chemistry and Biology. I already own them, so money is not an issue (I recorded the classes when I had the satellite) and I don't care about having the 'current' edition. I also, from experience, do not plan on making my ds do each and every lab assignment. Sometimes just watching them completed in class is enough. The Physics labs, especially, were SOOOOO time consuming! I finally allowed my ds to watch more of them than he actually performed himself. The class labs were wonderfully interesting to watch, and very informative.

I have the Biology recorded and while recording it I thought the classes were fantastic. I am thoroughly looking forward to my ds completing it in high school. BJU is very meaty. Meatier than ANY science I encountered in my high school years. I would not hesitate tweaking the assignment or workload to fit a particular students needs. For a science major, definitely do everything assigned, but if your dc is more of a liberal arts major, I think you have some room to tweak. ;) My ds wants to go to a bible college, and does not plan on going into any science field, so I'm not overly worried. But, should that change, I know BJU to have a top quality science program.

Thank you, Melissa! You know, I sure wish I had had the chance to record the HomeSat programs.

I'm thinking that I should plan for a science major, but dd hasn't decided exactly what she wants to do...... except "work with animals.... especially horses." I must say... the thoughts of prepping her for upper level science in case of medicine/vet major intimidate me greatly.

This is why I'm looking for a program that does all the teaching. BJU biology would be a natural next step from doing 7th gd life science..... still thinking.:rolleyes:

I hear you. Watching the DVD and then doing the homework takes a lot of time. But mathematics and the sciences in college are time intensive too. A kid who thinks they want to pursue them should have some idea of the pacing of her choices.

I allow 45 minutes to watch a BJU lecture and between 30 to 45 minutes to read/study/complete homework assignments. (Depending on the course). Yup. At the high school level, science can take 90 minutes a day around here.

I believe the life science lessons are 30 minutes each? If I remember correctly, I blocked out an hour per day for that class. I encouraged the kids to work efficiently enough to finish the homework within 30 minutes. It was a great class - their first real introduction to pacing. They learned a TON about themselves that year. (My kids and I discovered that they were real dawdlers. NOT saying that your dd is, but mine were.) A great experience for us overall. Ever since then, I have looked for at least one class per year with outside pacing. My kids have learned a lot about learning to work toward the goals and pacing of an outside party.

NOT saying that our experience will shed light on your path. But I just wanted to share what worked for us.

Peace!!!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I hear you. Watching the DVD and then doing the homework takes a lot of time. But mathematics and the sciences in college are time intensive too. A kid who thinks they want to pursue them should have some idea of the pacing of her choices.

I allow 45 minutes to watch a BJU lecture and between 30 to 45 minutes to read/study/complete homework assignments. (Depending on the course). Yup. At the high school level, science can take 90 minutes a day around here.

I believe the life science lessons are 30 minutes each? If I remember correctly, I blocked out an hour per day for that class. I encouraged the kids to work efficiently enough to finish the homework within 30 minutes. It was a great class - their first real introduction to pacing. They learned a TON about themselves that year. (My kids and I discovered that they were real dawdlers. NOT saying that your dd is, but mine were.) A great experience for us overall. Ever since then, I have looked for at least one class per year with outside pacing. My kids have learned a lot about learning to work toward the goals and pacing of an outside party.

NOT saying that our experience will shed light on your path. But I just wanted to share what worked for us.

Peace!!!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Janice, this was great to read! I totally agree with you! BJU Life Science has been the BEST class. At the beginning of the year, my dd struggled with it. Now that we're studying the animals she is enjoying it so much more....... not so much the format. (She rolls her eyes so hard at I.Q. !) My sons in 5th and 2nd watch the videos for their science, believe it or not, and all of my kids have learned a ton. Dd has learned more about how to study and outline. Just in case someone else is trying to learn about this class...... testing was difficult in the beginning. We've tweaked test-taking to fit our needs. It may sound very non-traditional, but dd gets 45 minutes to take the test without her book and 15 minutes with it. She KNOWS that she needs to work towards not using it, but this is our transitional year. She is learning HOW to study. I'm interested in the grade, but I'm just as interested in her using this class as an intro to studying for any hard class she'll have in the future. It's just been great!

For me, I LOVE the way the teacher's materials are organized, and I LOVE that I don't have to teach! I recognize a lot of the material, but taking this class proves to me that high school science is going to be waaaayyyyy over my head.

BJU high school is but one option. I'm also looking at Hippocampus with a text, Campbell's Concepts and Connections with an on-line lesson plan and links, and maybe Science Shepherd. SS isn't discussed much on this board, but it has a text and video. I'm just unsure how it compares with these others.

Thanks so much for chiming in!:001_smile:

Alabama-I was noticing last night the CBD catalog shows an Investigations (lab) dvd for the BJU Physical Science.

Thanks, Elizabeth! I would have chosen BJU physical science, but I don't think we're ready for that level of intensity. It's exactly what I want, however. When I found CPO physical science, I found chemistry and physics on more of our level. We'll be trying Alg. I with it next year.

I'll check out the Investigations dvd at CBD. Thanks, again!

We have used the BJU DVD's for the following courses:

8th grade Space & Earth Science (Mrs. Vick) -- simply outstanding! Mrs. Vick teaches a lot about how to study science in this course in addition to doing an excellent job teaching Space & Earth Science. My kids both came out of this course with a love for astronomy.

10th grade Biology (Miss Lacey) -- While Miss Lacey may become a good teacher in time, her instructional skills were an intense disappointment following Mrs. Vick. I relate many of my objections to her simply being "green" and rather immature. However, the book itself was VERY impressive, and the course covered an extensive amount of material with impressive thoroughness.

We did all of the labs. WARNING: The labs are extremely time consuming. To do a good job, the kids need to have an extensive period of time (i.e., several hours), especially since this will have been the first time that most kids have dissected and they are still learning skills. We chose to do the labs either on Friday night or Saturday when they would not have to either be rushed or dragging their supplies out to work for 45 minutes only to put them away and drag them out another day for 45 minutes only to put them away and drag them out. . . .

11th grade Chemistry (Mr. Harmon) -- in progress. So far, the instruction has seemed very good and clear and the tests straightforward. The labs are not defined and described nearly as clearly as were the labs in Biology. However, unlike Biology, these labs are (so far) neither as long or complicated. DS has generally done each lab entirely on his own in a single class period.

Hope this helps!

8th grade Space & Earth Science (Mrs. Vick) -- simply outstanding! Mrs. Vick teaches a lot about how to study science in this course in addition to doing an excellent job teaching Space & Earth Science. My kids both came out of this course with a love for astronomy.

10th grade Biology (Miss Lacey) -- While Miss Lacey may become a good teacher in time, her instructional skills were an intense disappointment following Mrs. Vick. I relate many of my objections to her simply being "green" and rather immature. However, the book itself was VERY impressive, and the course covered an extensive amount of material with impressive thoroughness.

We did all of the labs. WARNING: The labs are extremely time consuming. To do a good job, the kids need to have an extensive period of time (i.e., several hours), especially since this will have been the first time that most kids have dissected and they are still learning skills. We chose to do the labs either on Friday night or Saturday when they would not have to either be rushed or dragging their supplies out to work for 45 minutes only to put them away and drag them out another day for 45 minutes only to put them away and drag them out. . . .

11th grade Chemistry (Mr. Harmon) -- in progress. So far, the instruction has seemed very good and clear and the tests straightforward. The labs are not defined and described nearly as clearly as were the labs in Biology. However, unlike Biology, these labs are (so far) neither as long or complicated. DS has generally done each lab entirely on his own in a single class period.

Hope this helps!

This is a TREMENDOUS help!!!! Thank you!!! It's unfortunate the biology teacher is so new... Hope she is a quick study! I'll still keep BJU biology on the list, but I really appreciate the heads-up about the teacher.

We are currently using this, and I have to agree wholeheartedly. My ds really didn't want to study Space & Earth this year, so I gave him a ton of choices to look through. Then, when his brain re-engaged, because he apparently lost it, he realized that all the other choices were not going to have Mrs. Vick teaching them, so he decided Space & Earth didn't sound so bad afterall. ;) He's very much enjoying the class. It's a tough one though! Definitely not 'science-lite.'

I, thankfully, got to record Mrs. Ericson for Biology. Miss Lacey, at that time, was her sub. She seemed like an OK teacher, but not as interesting as Mrs. Ericson. :001_smile:

Hope this helps!

Mr. Harmon is still my middle son's favorite BJU teacher. He loved his Chemistry class! I heard rumor that he was the new teacher for Physics....if so, that might be something I'd be willing to fork over money for in a few years. :001_smile:

Yvonne in NE

Yvonne, I'm just curious about BJU Physical Science. I would use this in 8th grade (the CPO physical science I've been planning is for 8th grade; I realize BJU's physical sci is for 9th.)

We'll also be taking Alg. I at the same time. Math gets done, but it doesn't come easily for dd.

Would BJU physical be too hard? Would you please share some details about this class?..... especially about doing it in 8th grade. How do you like the BJU teacher?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of considering this..... it's kind of scary.

BJU sent me a demo of the first DVD of Physical Science 3rd edition. It's the old HomSat Linc version, and Mr. Harmon is the teacher.

I like the fact that someone else would be teaching these hard introductory classes. Believe me, I sure don't want to teach chemistry and physics!:D Each lesson on the DVD is 45 minutes because it is a high school level course. There is homework too. I know it will be a challenge. We would definitely modify it however we needed to make it fit our needs. I mainly want to use it so dd will have a thorough foundation for high school chemistry and physics.

But.... honestly, I just didn't have that feeling that it would be the "perfect" fit like I did when I saw Mrs. Vick for the first time.

I know there will be a new 4th edition DVD made to go along with the 4th edition physical science book. I'm pretty sure it will be available for the next school year. I would think the new DVD would at least *look* better than this old HomeSat version I have.

If you've had Mr. Harmon as a teacher and didn't just love his style at first, did you eventually learn to enjoy him? Also, how many of you took BJU 9th grade physical science in 8th grade? Did this work? We will be taking Alg. I at the same time.

I have some other choices for 8th grade physical science, but I can't deny the beauty of being able to toss the DVD into the player and let someone else do the teaching!

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I went back to see what your ORIGINAL question was. 2-3 weeks ago your question was about whether you should keep going with the BJU science dvd's, given that your dd isn't enjoying what she's doing right now. I didn't re-read the rest of the thread, but did you ever figure out how to resolve WHY your dd isn't doing well now? See if she's not doing well now, it means she's not grappling well with the textbook. I'm just being blunt. I spend probably 1 hour a day with my dd outlining the text, three days a week. Then she does the lab dvd's and worksheets Thurs. and takes the test Friday. She does great on the test and doesn't need it open book like people have been talking about. She's NOT a textbook person. The issue is how to read and learn from a textbook, and that's not something the lectures can fix. The dvd lectures would be nice, but the student HAS to learn how to learn from a textbook, read and outline or take notes (whatever you wish to call it).

So if you go into the BJU Physical Science without fixing how you're doing the Life Science, then I'm not sure how you'll do any better. Just trying to be helpful here. I also don't see where it's logical to skip their Earth Science if you have no sequence at all and want to stick with them. I mean if you want to get in the BJU sequence, get in the sequence. But you need to beat the beast first with Life Science and learn how to make it work for you.

The Earth Science is a slight bump up from the Life Science. I haven't looked at the Physical Science recently, but it may be a greater bump. You want to set her up for success.

Elizabeth,

We definitely had a learning curve with Life Science. The first semester was full of new information at a level dd wasn't used to. This has definitely been a transition year for us. Second semester has been so much better. She is doing much better reading a text and is working on study and test taking skills. She loves biology, and we are both figuring out what kind of curriculum works best for us....what kind of teaching method to use for physical science that we can both live with.

I like BJU beccause it offers the organization and teaching that will get the job done. Dd likes to read and then do hands-on experiments. She is putting up with the videos, but there is NO way I could take the place of teaching like what we've had with Mrs. Vick. We have to find a middle ground.

We might have to modify the lesson plan to fit our needs if we use BJU. Realistically, this is a 9th grade class that I'm considering for 8th grade. We don't have an interest in Space and Earth science..... just don't. That's why I haven't considered doing this.

These are the reasons for asking more about BJU... and to learn more about the teacher.

I went back to see what your ORIGINAL question was. 2-3 weeks ago your question was about whether you should keep going with the BJU science dvd's, given that your dd isn't enjoying what she's doing right now. I didn't re-read the rest of the thread, but did you ever figure out how to resolve WHY your dd isn't doing well now? See if she's not doing well now, it means she's not grappling well with the textbook. I'm just being blunt. I spend probably 1 hour a day with my dd outlining the text, three days a week. Then she does the lab dvd's and worksheets Thurs. and takes the test Friday. She does great on the test and doesn't need it open book like people have been talking about. She's NOT a textbook person. The issue is how to read and learn from a textbook, and that's not something the lectures can fix. The dvd lectures would be nice, but the student HAS to learn how to learn from a textbook, read and outline or take notes (whatever you wish to call it).

So if you go into the BJU Physical Science without fixing how you're doing the Life Science, then I'm not sure how you'll do any better. Just trying to be helpful here. I also don't see where it's logical to skip their Earth Science if you have no sequence at all and want to stick with them. I mean if you want to get in the BJU sequence, get in the sequence. But you need to beat the beast first with Life Science and learn how to make it work for you.

The Earth Science is a slight bump up from the Life Science. I haven't looked at the Physical Science recently, but it may be a greater bump. You want to set her up for success.

Thanks, Rhonda! I have read many posts where DIVE is loved. When I've viewed the samples, however, I just don't think they would work here. However, they would certainly help with the time factor using BJU.

We are doing BJU Earth and Space science with DVDs this year. I am looking at DIVE for Physical Science for next year. I have liked the BJU DVDs, but they are so time intensive. DIVE is one DVD lesson per week (or close to that). I am hoping it will be a better fit for our schedule.

I think if it fits with your larger plan for the following years, you could just do it and be done with it. I mean what's the WORST that can happen? She struggles and you slow it down or give her some accommodations. This isn't counting for high school for her, and as long as she gets the jist of it she's fine.

So what is the word on the street? Who will be the teacher for the new edition dvd's? I always seem to be the last to know these things, lol.

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/videos/09/physical-science-2011.mov Is this like what they sent you? They list 4th edition on their website under the online option and have this link as the sample. Since the labs dvd is 4th edition, I was assuming these lessons are too. So that would at least give you a better idea.

I asked my dh about the teacher thing when we were considering doing the full course of Life Science vs. just the labs dvd. Dd doesn't like Mrs. Vick's voice and didn't like the teaching samples. I don't know if her opinion has changed yet, hehe. Dh was relatively unsympathetic, saying she'd have to learn from less-than-perfect teachers for the rest of her life anyway. Is Mr. Harmon generally well-liked by people? I thought Melissa around here had raved about him.

See if she's not doing well now, it means she's not grappling well with the textbook. I'm just being blunt. I spend probably 1 hour a day with my dd outlining the text, three days a week. Then she does the lab dvd's and worksheets Thurs. and takes the test Friday. She does great on the test and doesn't need it open book like people have been talking about. She's NOT a textbook person. The issue is how to read and learn from a textbook, and that's not something the lectures can fix. The dvd lectures would be nice, but the student HAS to learn how to learn from a textbook, read and outline or take notes (whatever you wish to call it).

This is excellent advice and I totally agree. I can see this in our own science classes. When we are pressed for time, or the subject covered is not overly interesting to ds or in my mind...important, I will often not make my ds take notes from his chapters and will allow him to just read, answer the SRQ's from the text and watch the DVDs. What follows is always substandard test scores...he just doesn't have all the info in his wee brain. It's A LOT of info. But, on the chapters that I really want him to learn, I will slow it down and make him outline and take notes each day. What then follows is above average test scores and increased knowledge. Slowing it down periodically will cause us to not completely finish the BJU text this year, but I am not overly worried about that at this point. And making him do all the homework, watch a DVD each day, AND outline each chapter is science overkill for us. We just do not have that much time in our day for science.

I haven't decided how we will tackle the high school 45 minutes daily DVD classes. My older ds did them and did just fine, but he was a faster worker. He could totally focus on his school and get it done in record time. Younger ds is a slow poke, who is easily distracted by, well, anything. :glare: Oh, he's plenty smart for sure, but pokey, pokey, pokey. :tongue_smilie:

Yeah I don't know how we'd do the outlining *and* watch the videos. That would take a huge chunk of our day. Might as well go to school then, lol.

As for Mr. Harmon, well he reminded me of another physics teacher from when I was in high school, lol. I think dd would like him about as much as Mrs. Vick. We must just be different from the crowd. :)

I have yet to hear of anyone who does not like Mr. Harmon. He was my middle ds's favorite BJU teacher.

Melissa,

What I noticed on the demo DVD from BJU was Mr. Harmon's long-windedness. He took so long to get his point across.....compared to Mrs. Vick. I'm very interested in seeing the new version of physical science with Mr. Harmon. Even a change in scenery would give the class a better "feel". The HomeSat version looks very much outdated.

Did your son take physical science from him?

What is your opinion about taking 9th grade physical science in 8th grade? Part of me wants to do this. The other part of me is sure we just can't. If we don't use BJU, we'll most likely use CPO physical science.

As much as I want someone teaching the class, organization, DVD, yadda, yadda, yadda, I ALSO want dd to ENJOY the class! There has to be a balance between the difficulty and enjoyment. What good does it do to have to watch/do something that you dread. (And, I basically agree with the point about having to put up with less-than-desirable teachers.)

I'm weighing the fact that the class may or may not be developmentally appropriate. That makes a big difference. I am trying to give this class a chance before I say, "No" to it because if we were to use it with success, it would be a huge benefit! I would feel so good about going into high school classes having done BJU Life and Physical sciences!

http://www.bjupresshomeschool.com/videos/09/physical-science-2011.mov Is this like what they sent you? They list 4th edition on their website under the online option and have this link as the sample. Since the labs dvd is 4th edition, I was assuming these lessons are too. So that would at least give you a better idea.

I asked my dh about the teacher thing when we were considering doing the full course of Life Science vs. just the labs dvd. Dd doesn't like Mrs. Vick's voice and didn't like the teaching samples. I don't know if her opinion has changed yet, hehe. Dh was relatively unsympathetic, saying she'd have to learn from less-than-perfect teachers for the rest of her life anyway. Is Mr. Harmon generally well-liked by people? I thought Melissa around here had raved about him.

My girls despised Mr. Harmon. (Chemistry) We pushed on through anyway. They didn't like his sense of humor. He was...condescending, sarcastic maybe? I took your dh's position. They got used to him. Still didn't like him.

My approach with the BJU dvd's has been to only use two subjects a year. Any more than that and it is just too much. Most years, we have used science and Spanish. I prefer the old dvd's. The real classroom atmosphere/kids put the class at a nice pace. OFten, the teacher would find that something wasn't understood and would slow down/review because of their lack of progress. The girls have also liked being able to fast forward when things got too slow in the class.

Elizabeth, my computer wouldn't play this, but thank you for sending the link. I may ask BJU to send another demo when the new DVDs become available. The one I have now is the older HomeSat version.

Well that's a shame your computer won't play it! I know I had something that wouldn't play nice today, and I have a brand new computer! Go figure.

Just as an outside suggestion, Rainbow Science would get you to about the same place, surveying physics and chemistry to prepare for high school classes. Might be an alternate option. If you get off the BJU sequence, what's going to happen AFTER this year? Are you going to be faced with the same problem every year???

My girls despised Mr. Harmon. (Chemistry) We pushed on through anyway. They didn't like his sense of humor. He was...condescending, sarcastic maybe? I took your dh's position. They got used to him. Still didn't like him.

Well there ya go! I knew there had to be someone out there who didn't care for him. I think the majority of people do, but of course there will be those who do not. My ds probably loved him BECAUSE of his sarcasm. :D

My approach with the BJU dvd's has been to only use two subjects a year. Any more than that and it is just too much.

:iagree: I plan to only use their maths and sciences in high school...though I do have the Spanish we may try at some point.

The real classroom atmosphere/kids put the class at a nice pace. OFten, the teacher would find that something wasn't understood and would slow down/review because of their lack of progress. The girls have also liked being able to fast forward when things got too slow in the class.

:iagree: I know it is not as nice in appearance, but the older version with the satellite class does give a classroom feel to it. It was helpful to my ds when students asked questions, and at other times when he completely understood the material he could fast forward through their questions to the next section. Oftentimes I would hear him chuckling because the teacher would say something funny, or a student would ask/say something totally wacky. It made him feel like he was in a classroom....somewhat. ;)

Well that's a shame your computer won't play it! I know I had something that wouldn't play nice today, and I have a brand new computer! Go figure.

Just as an outside suggestion, Rainbow Science would get you to about the same place, surveying physics and chemistry to prepare for high school classes. Might be an alternate option. If you get off the BJU sequence, what's going to happen AFTER this year? Are you going to be faced with the same problem every year???

I looked at-thought of Rainbow this mornig. The first year seemed good. I read several reviews that the 2nd year isn't as good.....still a maybe, I guess. I read enough Science Explorer reviews that made me feel like the experiments were more varied and interesting compared to Rainbow.

There is a neat-looking study called Awakening Wonder that schedules Science Explorer. It is organized and has a plan for experiments. I just haven't seen the text, so I don't know if I like it or not. I think it would be enough for an 8th grader. Amy, aka MamaSheep, wrote this.

You asked a great question about high school sequence. I've been working on that, and I have some ideas, yet..... I do wonder if I will face this same situation again. I sure don't want to.

Elizabeth, I've just begun to face this monster called high school. I really don't know how others have done it. Sure, I could pick BJU. But, if it's not compatible with dd's learning style or whatever, I'm back to picking something else. It is so much of a trial and error process. This would drive anybody crazy. I'm feeling it.

Actually, as far as high school goes, I want to use (I think) MFW for three credits history, English, and Bible. We've had success with Lial BCM and plan to continue Lial's for now. (I don't have a geometry picked out yet, though) It looks like Video Link Spanish or Breaking the Spanish Barrier are the two Spanish programs that get "most" attention. We'll finish up Rosetta Stone yr. 3 next year.

That leaves science.....my nemesis.

Biology: BJU (continuing our Life Science format), Apologia (local classes available), Science Shepherd, Miller-Levine for secular choice.

Chemistry: Spectrum... sounds good from what I've read.

Physics.... Way too far ahead to think of for now.

All of this feels so much like a shot in the dark. It is so different from choosing courses for elementary. Yes, I feel overwhelmed.

Melissa,

What I noticed on the demo DVD from BJU was Mr. Harmon's long-windedness. He took so long to get his point across.....compared to Mrs. Vick. I'm very interested in seeing the new version of physical science with Mr. Harmon. Even a change in scenery would give the class a better "feel". The HomeSat version looks very much outdated.

Did your son take physical science from him?

What is your opinion about taking 9th grade physical science in 8th grade? Part of me wants to do this. The other part of me is sure we just can't. If we don't use BJU, we'll most likely use CPO physical science.

I can't help you with this because we only had Mr. Harmon for Chemistry. I do have his Physical Science class that my youngest ds will be using next year, but as to whether it would work for an 8th grader, I couldn't say. I personally think it would, but I don't know for sure, ya know? If it jumps up a lot in difficulty from their Space & Earth, then it might be considerably harder than an average Physical Science class. Space & Earth is very full and meaty.

My boys used Apologia Physical Science (which was quite easy for them), so that's all I am familiar with in regards to physical sci.

I'm wondering why not just go with BJU's sequence? Is there a specific reason you want to do Physical in 8th? (forgive me if you've already mentioned why, I haven't read all the previous posts) I know a lot of people do (physical in 8th), but even with BJU's traditional sequence you would get through Physics before graduation. By the way, BJU's Physics was a very difficult course. :tongue_smilie:

Well definitely take some more time and think about the sequence. I think it's nice, even advisable, to have some easy science credit options for the non-sciency person in high school. I mean why should she be stuck taking the hardest classes to get her high school credit if earth science or physical science would work? I think there has been some change in vogue, and I think it may vary with the area. BJU sells physical science as their 9th gr offerings, meaning you could legitimately put it on your transcript as 9th gr. In other words you could WAIT a year, do something else, and do the Physical Science in 9th.

Now I actually did Earth Science twice, once in a cs for 8th gr using BJU and again at a ps in 9th. That was about the stupidest thing ever. My mom totally missed it and should have gotten me into biology. Anyways, I LOVED the BJU earth science, and unless you have some compelling reason not to do it (like you're horribly opposed to such and such content), I highly recommend it. I'm really looking forward to doing it with dd next year. Again, not trying to push you if that's a definite not what you wanted. Just thought if there was any flex there, it might make your path smoother. Then you could basically just do the BJU stuff from now, right on through. It would put the Physical Science at the right age and give her a pleasant start into her high school years. Just a thought.

So what are your local options with the Apologia? Does she like Apologia? Are the class offerings consistent enough that you can plan on them?

Unfortunately, it seems like some of the flexibility you have in choices comes when either you are able to teach the materials or you have a dc of the type who will work through them on his/her own. When you don't have that, it's a little tougher. Have you looked at the Veritas Press science offerings? I think they're doing some live classes. I assume they use Apologia. Everything they do is so good, they would probably be well done. I even know someone locally who has been doing live classes she found through CurrClick, go figure.

Have fun figuring it out. I'm sweating right there with you. Oh, the sweat is the heat from my oven cleaning. Well I'm right there with you. :)

Ok.... I have to just stop and take a deep breath after thinking about it so long. I know this will work out. ....don't know how, but...:rolleyes:

The other thing that is contributing to this issue is that I have two other kids, so, I'm trying to figure out how I can do the same science with all three of them. It's the way we've always done science, and it seems to help simplify the day. So multiply the "stress" by 3! :D

My oldest has told me she prefers to read and then do hands on experiments. She also loves to draw. I think it would be refreshing to come at this from the aspect of her strengths. Labpaq comes to mind just from other threads I've read. I don't know much about it, but I can see her doing an experiment and drawing, labeling, and writing detailed paragraphs about the experiment. This is just an out-of-the-box idea. I have no idea of a credible curriculum like this though.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your comment that either the mom has to teach, or find a video/internet program, or the student has to work it out on her own. Yep.

This is a science oriented girl who has an eye on a career working with animals, so I need to be wise in my science curriculum choices.

Thanks for your encouragement, Elizabeth.

Well definitely take some more time and think about the sequence. I think it's nice, even advisable, to have some easy science credit options for the non-sciency person in high school. I mean why should she be stuck taking the hardest classes to get her high school credit if earth science or physical science would work? I think there has been some change in vogue, and I think it may vary with the area. BJU sells physical science as their 9th gr offerings, meaning you could legitimately put it on your transcript as 9th gr. In other words you could WAIT a year, do something else, and do the Physical Science in 9th.

Now I actually did Earth Science twice, once in a cs for 8th gr using BJU and again at a ps in 9th. That was about the stupidest thing ever. My mom totally missed it and should have gotten me into biology. Anyways, I LOVED the BJU earth science, and unless you have some compelling reason not to do it (like you're horribly opposed to such and such content), I highly recommend it. I'm really looking forward to doing it with dd next year. Again, not trying to push you if that's a definite not what you wanted. Just thought if there was any flex there, it might make your path smoother. Then you could basically just do the BJU stuff from now, right on through. It would put the Physical Science at the right age and give her a pleasant start into her high school years. Just a thought.

So what are your local options with the Apologia? Does she like Apologia? Are the class offerings consistent enough that you can plan on them?

Unfortunately, it seems like some of the flexibility you have in choices comes when either you are able to teach the materials or you have a dc of the type who will work through them on his/her own. When you don't have that, it's a little tougher. Have you looked at the Veritas Press science offerings? I think they're doing some live classes. I assume they use Apologia. Everything they do is so good, they would probably be well done. I even know someone locally who has been doing live classes she found through CurrClick, go figure.

Have fun figuring it out. I'm sweating right there with you. Oh, the sweat is the heat from my oven cleaning. Well I'm right there with you. :)

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama