Menu

For those that have glasses: would readers be enough?

A few weeks ago, I went to the opthomologist for an eye exam. I have noticed for several months now that my vision is not what it used to be. I mainly have trouble seeing at night when I am trying to knit and also when driving at night, as it seems everything is "coming at me" and it makes me very nervous.

After spending almost two weeks debating over the small (and outrageously-priced) frame selection that we have on the base here, I wonder if I could just make do with a pair of readers. I didn't understand my Rx, but from Googling it, it seems that both eyes are the same:

OD+0.50 sph.

OS+0.50sph.

So - does that mean that I would be OK getting readers that say +0.5? Would that be a solution to my problem, or are eyeglasses really the way to go?

FWIW he did suggest an anti-reflective coating for nighttime driving, but since it looks like I am far-sighted I don't need glasses to drive anyhow - or do I? :auto: I am confused!

Are you near-sighted or far-sighted?

If your prescription is for reading glasses (if you are far-sighted) then readers would work.

If you are near-sighted they won't.

Did the doctor say that you should be be wearing glasses for driving, or was he thinking of a coating on clear lenses?

It sounds like these are questions that the Dr. (or someone in his office) needs to answer for you. Good luck.:001_smile:

Are you near-sighted or far-sighted?

If your prescription is for reading glasses (if you are far-sighted) then readers would work.

If you are near-sighted they won't.

Did the doctor say that you should be be wearing glasses for driving, or was he thinking of a coating on clear lenses?

It sounds like these are questions that the Dr. (or someone in his office) needs to answer for you. Good luck.:001_smile:

I am far-sighted. The doctor did not say that I needed to wear glasses for driving during the day - I can see "fine" to drive - but suggested that I get the AR coating b/c it may help cut down on glare if I wear them at night, especially in the rain. Thankfully I rarely have to drive at night.

I will ask the doctor if need be, but I have driven those poor people crazy over the last few weeks - coming in every few days to try on frames, etc. I am getting embarrassed :tongue_smilie:

My husband and stepfather are both farsighted and just use readers to correct it. They both got sick of paying the high prices for prescription lenses only to break them a couple months later, but they are both hard on glasses and cell phones. Lol

If your farsighted and both eyes have a similar prescription then I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Just try a pair and see - - readers can be found extremely cheaply, the Dollar Tree even has them sometimes. If they do the trick, you can invest in a nicer pair. This is one of those 'easy fixes' where, if it SEEMS to work, then it does work. If you find you can read and craft easily with readers, then readers work.

http://www.zennioptical.com

is an awesome places to get glasses. We have used them several times. My husband most recently ordered two pairs of reading glasses, one for home and one for work for around $20 a pair.

I've also ordered prescription sunglasses from them.

Unbelievably inexpensive and an awesome deal. I will never again buy glasses from a retail store.

Just try a pair and see - - readers can be found extremely cheaply, the Dollar Tree even has them sometimes. If they do the trick, you can invest in a nicer pair. This is one of those 'easy fixes' where, if it SEEMS to work, then it does work. If you find you can read and craft easily with readers, then readers work.

:iagree:While the $15 ones are better than the $1 ones, they are cheap enough to try. They won't help with the night driving issues though.

FWIW I use readers more and more. Our optometrist recommended my dh use them for a year or two until he needed progressive lenses. In a couple of years, I'll likely need prescription lenses too.

A few weeks ago, I went to the opthomologist for an eye exam. I have noticed for several months now that my vision is not what it used to be. I mainly have trouble seeing at night when I am trying to knit and also when driving at night, as it seems everything is "coming at me" and it makes me very nervous.

After spending almost two weeks debating over the small (and outrageously-priced) frame selection that we have on the base here, I wonder if I could just make do with a pair of readers. I didn't understand my Rx, but from Googling it, it seems that both eyes are the same:

OD+0.50 sph.

OS+0.50sph.

So - does that mean that I would be OK getting readers that say +0.5? Would that be a solution to my problem, or are eyeglasses really the way to go?

FWIW he did suggest an anti-reflective coating for nighttime driving, but since it looks like I am far-sighted I don't need glasses to drive anyhow - or do I? :auto: I am confused!

I wear progressive lenses for both distance and reading. Mine do have the reflective coating due to the extreme difficulty I have with night driving. It does help.

+0.5 is a very minor correction. You might even have trouble finding reading glasses for less than +1.00. Interestingly, the different diopters will work for you at different distances. Meaning, the 0.5 may work 20 inches from your face, but the 1.00 will work at 15 inches. You need to go to the store and try them on, and see which ones work for knitting. You may need stronger ones for removing a splinter (or other close-up work). I have several pair, in different diopters, placed in strategic places in the house, based on what activities I do there.

Also, since your eyes just started to change, they will most likely continue to change. Eventually, they'll settle in, but it may take a few years. I wouldn't invest in expensive prescription glasses that you will need to change soon, probably within the year.

As for the night driving, you don't want to drive in reading glasses. It will strain your eyes to force them to compensate in the opposite direction than they need to be to focus for distance seeing. You would need bi-focals with the "reading" portion of the lens at the bottom, and the uncorrected portion above (for distance).

If your distance vision is fine, but the glare is bothering you, I would see if you can get some non-glare lenses with NO correction. I don't know where you would find those, though. Perhaps they make polarized lenses without the shading of sun glasses? I don't know.

TY all so much! I will probably go back in tomorrow and ask about the driving issue. That alone might make it worth it to spring for prescription lenses.

+0.5 is a very minor correction. You might even have trouble finding reading glasses for less than +1.00.

Yes - I am having an insane time finding +0.50 readers online. They all seem to start at +1.0. Too bad - I found some adorable readers :D at much better prices...

Yes - I am having an insane time finding +0.50 readers online. They all seem to start at +1.0. Too bad - I found some adorable readers :D at much better prices...

This place has them:

http://www.zennioptical.com

and this place:

http://www.speert.com

Zenn I think does them only by prescription (so you just need to have your prescription). Speert does prescription, or you can simply order .50 reading glassses. They claim to have the largest selection of very low and very high powers.

If you order by prescription, you can get all the extras like non-glare, etc. When I order contacts this way, I just enter my info, including doctor name, and they are supposed to call and verify.

This is one of those 'easy fixes' where, if it SEEMS to work, then it does work. If you find you can read and craft easily with readers, then readers work.

:iagree:I've worn readers for years. They used to be really ugly, but they even make them cute now.