Menu

Science curriculum k-1st grade level?

warriormom

What kind of science do you want? Plenty here do the science cycle as outlined in the WTM. Plenty here don't do that and use something like BFSU (Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding by Bernard Nebel) instead. Lots of people like the GEMS science kits too.

Rosie

I would recommend Elemental Science's 'Intro. to Science' - it is a gentle, but fun intro. to science for preK and K. AND, they just added fun experiment kits! The creator of the curriculum made it with TWTM in mind (no pun intended!), so it follows the classical model. Highly recommend it!

Things we have used:

Sonlight P4/5 science books. We have the guide but haven't looked at it much. The books are great though.

Singapore Start-Up Science. We used book 2 and enjoyed it. We supplemented with an electricity kit and a big magnet kit. One complaint I had was that it talked about the primary colors with regard to light (red, blue, and green) but then had the child mix paint as an activity though the primary colors with regard to paint/art are different (red, blue, and yellow). That didn't make sense to me. Maybe I just don't understand their goal.

Noeo Biology 1. I LOVE these books, but the experiments were so-so. Some of them didn't work. Some of them were more demonstrations/manipulatives than actual experiments. My other children will definitely be reading the books, but we will search for other kits/experiments.

Moving Beyond the Page 6-8 Concept 4. My current first grader did this at the beginning of the year. He LOVED it. He always wanted to do it first and asked for more (but the other concepts for that level don't appear to be science-y, which I know is what he really wanted). It was a good combination of hands-on, workbook (which gave me a break), and reading. This does not follow the WTM 4 year cycle. I would say the main downside of this particular set is price. It is $154 and will not last an entire year. I believe it is meant to last 1/4 of the year.

Edited by crstarlette

I would suggest either Considering God's Creation or Apologia Astronomy. My dd's loved BOTH! :) We did Apologia Astronomy when my dd's were in 1st and K4. Shockingly they enjoyed it and grasped alot of it. However...Considering God's Creation we're doing now...they are in 2nd and K5 and it's a GREAT fit. The writing isn't too much for my K5er and they enjoy the journaling/notebooking pages and the activites. We'll be doing Apologia Zoology 1: Flying Creatures next year but this year I'm glad we decided against Apologia Botany (as I heard its one of the harder elementary ones) and did CGC.

I would recommend Elemental Science's 'Intro. to Science' - it is a gentle, but fun intro. to science for preK and K. AND, they just added fun experiment kits! The creator of the curriculum made it with TWTM in mind (no pun intended!), so it follows the classical model. Highly recommend it!

Not meaning to hijack...but I can't find any experiment kits being sold on the site...can you elaborate on this, or post a link, please??? I've been debating between Elemental Science and Nancy Larson Science. If ES sold kits to go with their curric I'd be sold. I just know getting all the supplies in small amounts on my own would get old...fast!

Not meaning to hijack...but I can't find any experiment kits being sold on the site...can you elaborate on this, or post a link, please??? I've been debating between Elemental Science and Nancy Larson Science. If ES sold kits to go with their curric I'd be sold. I just know getting all the supplies in small amounts on my own would get old...fast!

She just announced that they're coming soon. I don't think they're available yet.

ES Intro uses the book More Mudpies to Magnets for a lot of the experiments. Most all of the experiments so far we've already had everything on hand already. It is a lot of basic household items.

The Intro kids will be ready to ship by the end of next week. There will be something on the website probably by Monday or Tuesday of next week. Other kits will follow, but I'm unsure of the timing of that right now. Hopefully each program will have a corresponding kit by this fall, at least that's the plan :).