Menu

Carpet cleaning...

Truscifi

If you rent a carpet cleaner, can you use your own shampoo/cleaner in it? Could I just mix up some vinegar and baking soda in water and use that?

My dog had an accident that dh and ds didn't notice so it dried before I found it. I did try the black light idea that someone on here suggested, and I found 2 spots and cleaned them, but they still smell. Dh thinks it is just me, but I swear I smell the pee. It is making me nuts. Anyway, I'm shampooing the carpet this weekend and I don't want to use their shampoo (I don't like chemically cleaners). What does the hive suggest?

I own my own carpet cleaner which I normally use on the wall to wall carpet upstairs. I use and cleaner with enzymes to remove any organic matter and then rinse with oxy clean. I then go over it one more time using only the suction for removing liquid so that it dries quicker.

My Pom-Chi did have a small accident on my oriental rug though and I am afraid to tackle that on my own as I am afraid that I may damage it. It is a very dense rug and he barely got the surface wet. It didn't even soak through to the bottom so I am thinking about just surface cleaning it by hand but if that doesn't do the job, I may consider a professional.

"Professional Carpet Cleaning versus “Do-It-Yourself†Cleaning:

The maintenance brochure published by the world's largest carpet manufacturer, Shaw Industries, recommends professional carpet cleaning over “Do-It-Yourself†because of the potential problems that can occur from using rental equipment - such as yellowing, overwetting, fiber tip damage, severe resoiling, overuse of detergents, etc.

Most rental units available do not adequately clean and may actually damage the carpet."

from http://www.baneclene.com/articles/methods.html

• 10 months later...
If you rent a carpet cleaner, can you use your own shampoo/cleaner in it? Could I just mix up some vinegar and baking soda in water and use that?

My dog had an accident that dh and ds didn't notice so it dried before I found it. I did try the black light idea that someone on here suggested, and I found 2 spots and cleaned them, but they still smell. Dh thinks it is just me, but I swear I smell the pee. It is making me nuts. Anyway, I'm shampooing the carpet this weekend and I don't want to use their shampoo (I don't like chemically cleaners). What does the hive suggest?

i am not really sure with it but i used vinegar and baking soda to spread it all over my carpet in a separate spray.

• 2 months later...

I have my own carpet cleaner that I use weekly. I use vinegar instead of chemical cleaner. I fill to the formula line with vinegar then top off with water and use as usual. I still use the real cleaner every few months because there are some spots vinegar can't help but for weekly maintenance it is great.

• 9 months later...
Guest Drempan

as a carpet owner like me, i used to hire professional carpet cleaners to clean my carpets, because professional carpet cleaners became wonderful in coming out immediately and getting our carpets looking clean and our house smelling and feeling neat and set anytime. We were really amazed with their services and willingness to come out right away. Hope it helps!