Menu

What do you do in this situation? Over Christmas, we received a cashier's check

for a large amount of money in a Christmas card. The card was from a group of people and it was not signed. I could tell where the cashier's check was from and the stamp on the front of the envelope, so naturally we all put our heads together and came up with an idea of who these people might be. I still wasn't quite sure our hunch was right until I received a birthday card from a friend who lives in that area and the writing is almost identical.

Now, in a case like this, the people obviously wanted to be anonymous in their giving. Would it be offensive to extend a thank you to them or do I just leave it a lone? It's an awkward position to be in. If they had signed the card, I'd certainly be able to thank them.

Thanks for your thoughts -

Molly

What if, the next time you have a conversation with the friend who sent you the card, you make a point to mention that you'd received an anonymous gift? Let her know what a blessing it was for your family, how touched you were and how grateful you are to know that your family is loved.

That way you can thank the friend without "outing" her.

Cat

I would talk it up to them but not let on that I knew they gave it to me. I'd say something like, "Wow, someone really blessed us! We are going to do x,y, and z with this money; we regard it as a gift from God!" In other words, I would make sure that it got back to them that we were very touched and that we would put it to really good use.

The send of the check wanted to remain anonymous, so I would let them remain so. They may not have wanted to offend you, or make things weird between you.

I would make a call to the person who sent you a birthday card, and make a point to say thank you for remembering you in that way. If you have an opportunity to say how blessed you have been by others recently, I think that would be fine.

What if, the next time you have a conversation with the friend who sent you the card, you make a point to mention that you'd received an anonymous gift? Let her know what a blessing it was for your family, how touched you were and how grateful you are to know that your family is loved.

That way you can thank the friend without "outing" her.

Cat

:iagree:

Now, in a case like this, the people obviously wanted to be anonymous in their giving. Would it be offensive to extend a thank you to them or do I just leave it a lone? It's an awkward position to be in. If they had signed the card, I'd certainly be able to thank them.

Maybe not offensive. But rude.

If someone obviously wants to be anonymous in their giving, it is rude to try to "out" them -- pass it on forward to someone else.

for a large amount of money in a Christmas card. The card was from a group of people and it was not signed. I could tell where the cashier's check was from and the stamp on the front of the envelope, so naturally we all put our heads together and came up with an idea of who these people might be. I still wasn't quite sure our hunch was right until I received a birthday card from a friend who lives in that area and the writing is almost identical.

Thanks for your thoughts -

Molly

I notice you have a blog. I would just gush all over your blog about the generosity of the anonymous gifters, and how much you appreciate the gift, and perhaps how you plan to use the blessing. They'll get the word.