Menu

Spelling program that focuses on rules

amyable

My 10yo dd struggles with spelling. We are currently using Sequential Spelling, but I'm wondering if there is something better out there for her.

She seems to have no memory for how a certain word should *look*, despite using mutiple senses to memorize in the past (among other learning issues I think there are memory problems). I was hoping to find a curriculum that has more intricate rules - if they even apply in English! Such as WHY would you spell teach T-E-A-C-H instead of T-E-E-C-H or T-E-E-T-C-H etc. Is it simply memorization once you get to the point of knowing "either ea or ee or e_e sounds like /ee/"?

English comes from so many other sources that it is impossible to find standard rules for spelling - I do not think what you look for exists :-(

You might look at the spelling part of Reading Reflex - if you search for it at Amazon, both the book I used and a newer one I have not yet seen come up - I am going to have my library get the newer book so I can case it!

Anyway - Reading Reflex does teach the basic sounds of English in phonogram families, so a kid can learn all the different ways that, say the sound "o' as in "oh" is made (o, oo, ou, ough etc.) and it will then teach how the "oo" , ofr example, may also represent more than one sound. I hope this makes sense. The RR book is better than I am at explaining it all!

English comes from so many other sources that it is impossible to find standard rules for spelling - I do not think what you look for exists :-(

Thank you JFS - that's what I was afraid of! I was hoping for a miracle, LOL - that there would be a program out there I hadn't heard of yet. :lol:

Thanks for the idea of RR - we have tried that and also the Spalding method in our 5 years of trying to teach her to read/spell, and while they were helpful, it just doesn't seem to be enough.

Maybe we'll move to Spain so we can have a language that sounds like it looks! :D

What does All About Spelling have going for it? My daughter has vision issues and I was planning on going with Sequential Spelling for first grade next year based on recommendations from several on the boards here. I have no idea whether it will work or not. I'm a visual learner and have always been a decent speller. Frankly I have no idea how blind people would ever learn to spell. :001_rolleyes:

Guest Shanna
What does All About Spelling have going for it? My daughter has vision issues and I was planning on going with Sequential Spelling for first grade next year based on recommendations from several on the boards here. I have no idea whether it will work or not. I'm a visual learner and have always been a decent speller. Frankly I have no idea how blind people would ever learn to spell. :001_rolleyes:

The OP asked for something that deals with rules and that is exactly how AAS is taught. So that is why I recommended it. For visual I would think that SS would work well.

I second AAS. It combines a hands-on approach (using tiles) with visual and auditory. Best of all 3 worlds! It is rules based and doesn't just teach the rules but explains the "why" of spelling as well. Why do we use this letter combination instead of another, KWIM? We just got our AAS kit and I am thrilled we decided to spend the money and go that route. It looks so perfect for my ds9 who struggles w/ the simplest of words...simply b/c he never had a good foundation in phoneme awarenes or phonics while in ps. Some kids are just natural spellers...my dd11 is and so any old spelling program works for her. Some kids need the "rules" and the "whys", KWIM? I don't know anything about SS other than many people do have good success w/ that, too! Good luck!

I tried Seq. Spelling with ds in the fall. He seems similar to your dd in that he has trouble "picturing" the word spelled correctly. I thought for sure it would be the answer to all his spelling problems after reading about it on these boards. It was not! He had absolutely zero retention while using SS.

After he took the Woodcock-Johnston test this year, the tester recommended an explicit phonics programs to help with his spelling. I was thinking he should be beyond that at almost 11yo. But I did the research and found All About Spelling. I was hesitant to try it because of the price and with so many levels to purchase. But we started level 1 (yes level 1!!) back in February and have just begun level 2 this week. It has been wonderful! He finally is remembering based on the rules. I am thrilled with it and plan to continue with level 3 in the fall.

Good luck with your decision.

I am loving this discussion. I have a 10 year old who is struggling with reading. We tried sequential spelling, and it was a bust. We've been using spelling power, because it works well for my older son. However, it is just "ok" for my middle son. I don't think he is really learning anything but to memorize the words he misses, so he doesn't miss them again when I retest him.

I am curious about the AAS. Do you really suggest starting with level 1 with a 10 year old? It is pricey, and I've got to be careful where I budget our $$.

Thanks for any wise words!! :)

I think I'll be hopeful this shows up on the for sale board soon! LOL!

This book has been extremely helpful to go alongside our spelling program.

The ABC's and All Their Tricks (link to Amazon.com)

It lists all the phonics and spelling rules and the most common words that are associated with those rules. My ds gets confused sometimes and this book has been such a great reference tool for him. Instead of just looking up the word, he'll look up the word in this book and get the rule to go with it.

Two other options for you:

How to Teach Spelling (TE) w/How to Spell (wkbks)

It teaches similar rules and phonograms as SWR & AAS but uses a workbook approach. There are no tests, just dictation to practice and test with.

Apples Daily Spelling Drills (for older kids)

This also goes over the rules, and over them.

hth

I had been looking for something similar as you for spelling. For my 7yo dd I found it in AAS. It is easy to use and she loves using the tiles. For my 13 yo dd and 11 yo dd, I could never find anything I liked. We have used so many spelling curriculums and methods its not even funny. I think we will try How to Teach Spelling next year. It looks the most like what I'm looking for.

Regarding "long e" words spelled both "ee" and "ea", this is what The Origins and Development of the English Language by John Algeo and Thomas Pyles has to say:

"In early Modern English times, ea was adopted as a spelling for most of those words that in the Middle English dialects spoken north of the Thames had (short "e" sound held long) whereas those words that had in the same dialects (long "a" sound held long) usually continued the Middle English e(e) spelling."

Don't think it will help your dc much, but just thought I'd throw that out there for those who are interested. (Esentially it comes down to having to memorize these words, but it's nice to know that there is a reason for the difference!:))

Kelsy