Menu

Bread and diabetes question.

I have a Bread and diabetes question -

Diabetes hits every generation of our family - with my great uncle having type one, grandpa too and I think my brother might have had type one - and my mom and I maybe type two. Not sure regarding type one or two because no early testing.

Should bread be totally cut from diet? What about wheat and spinach tortillas/wraps?

I did go to a dietitian who had a PhD and I she was counterdicting facts I know about nutrition. For example she said there is NO PROTEIN in green leaf veggies - none at all even a trace.

I thought you all would know more about it than her - we just moved and I will be visiting the local dietitian here soon ...

Is bread, even wheat or whole wheat a negative for diabetics? Rather, is a diabetic better off not eating any grains?

Thanks!

Edited by 5KidzRUs

Diabetes hits every generation of our family - with my great uncle having type one, grandpa too and I think my brother might have had type one - and my mom and I maybe type two. Not sure regarding type one or two because no early testing.

Should bread be totally cut from diet? What about wheat and spinach tortillas/wraps?

I did go to a dietitian who had a PhD and I she was interdicting facts I know about nutrition. For example she said there is NO PROTEIN in green leaf veggies - none at all even a trace.

I thought you all would know more about it than her - we just moved and I will be visiting the local dietitian here soon ...

Is bread, even wheat or whole wheat a negative for diabetics? Rather, is a diabetic better off not eating any grains?

Thanks!

I am pre-diabetic, and went to a diabetes class. I was put on a 1500 calorie diet. Here is what is allowed as far as question goes...

No more then 45 carbs per meal. It says 1 slice of bread, preferably 100% whole wheat equals about 15 carbs, so you could have 2 slices in a sandwich and still be ok with 15 carbs left. Or you could use 2 slices of low-calorie bread, those are about 40 calories a slice. There is more, I could scan my packet they gave me and e-mail it to you. It really all about reading the label, seeing the carbs and figuring out the serving size. Then calculating that into no more ten your 45 carbs per meal.

I don't know about protein, but I do know a BUNCH of veggies, especially the greens, are listed on my "Freebie" page :)

I am pre-diabetic, and went to a diabetes class. I was put on a 1500 calorie diet. Here is what is allowed as far as question goes...

No more then 45 carbs per meal. It says 1 slice of bread, preferably :)

But are you better off without any bread? I wonder if grains like brown rice are just as bad.

They called me prediabetic too since my A1C was 6.5 - but many have since told me that there is no such thing as prediabetic - either you are or are not.

Then I watched some videos on how to REVERSE diabetes - that said it is a drug industry issue with them not wanting us to know healthy eating can reverse it - lots of conflicting info.

But are you better off without any bread? I wonder if grains like brown rice are just as bad.

They called me prediabetic too since my A1C was 6.5 - but many have since told me that there is no such thing as prediabetic - either you are or are not.

Then I watched some videos on how to REVERSE diabetes - that said it is a drug industry issue with them not wanting us to know healthy eating can reverse it - lots of conflicting info.

You can have rice, but only about a cup. Same with pasta :)

I have read a study where diabetics on insulin were able to come right off it in 26 days by eating a plant based, whole foods diet, and yes it included grains.

When I had gestational diabetes, I got to the point where I couldn't eat any grains and had to get most of my carbs from beans, in order to keep off insulin.

Different bodies work in different ways, and what "bread" means matters too. Dd is not diabetic, but shop bought bread trips her immune system, whereas her dad's home ground flatbreads don't. Obviously in her case it isn't the grain, but the mould retardants or other additives. You may find you need to swear off shop bought grain products, but can exist quite happily on actual wholegrains. Even if that is the case, you still have to be careful with quantity. You'll learn to adjust your grain portion to take into account the legumes and other veggies that also have carbs, it just takes time. It won't hurt to check out the GI ratings for different grains though, and pick the lower ones. Some grains like quinoa and millet aren't listed, or at least I could never find them. Once you know how your body reacts to a cup of brown rice, for example, you'll be able to compare to how it reacts to an equal amount of those grains.

As for dietitians, it seems every one has a different opinion, and that's not surprising. One diet does not fit all people and there will be some experimentation to figure out what works best for you. And just to be annoying, it can matter what time of the day you eat what. But you'll figure it out. Just think, you will be a home grown science experiment for your kids ;) Educational value and all ;)

Oh yeah, there are other tricks for keeping your blood sugar levels regular, like eating vinegar on salads and squeezing lemon juice into your water. Those worked for me. I've since learned that cinnamon does the same job, but I've never tested that for myself.

Rosie

I did go to a dietitian who had a PhD and I she was counterdicting facts I know about nutrition. For example she said there is NO PROTEIN in green leaf veggies - none at all even a trace.

Thanks!

Type 1's are insulin dependant to sustain life. If you can live without constant insulin supplementation, you are not a Type 1.

Breads can be included in the diet considering several factors, I would consult your doctor.

Edited by jazzyfizzle

Type 1's are insulin dependant to sustain life. If you can live without constant insulin supplementation, you are not a Type 1.

I do not think I am type 1. Although, I did watch a film recently - it was called Simply Raw: Reversing Diabetes in 30 Days - one of the participants was not diagnosed with type1 until he was an adult - after his doc did extensive testing and determined it was type one and not type two. I think he went on to get a higher degree in nutrition.

I am not close with my brother anymore - but he (is tall and thin) and told me (when he was in his 20s) he was diagnosed with diabetes - I know he was not on insulin for it.

My grandpa's brother had type 1 and died in his 20s from complications.

Type two has hit every generation in my family for as far back as we can tell.

I do wonder though how rare is it for type one to go undiagnosed - or if that Simply Raw show I watched was being honest about that.

If you have Type 1 Diabetes it is completely different then Type 2.

Type 1` is a autoimmune disease and without insulin you will DIE!

People who have Type 1 can develop Type 2 but their is no correlation between the 2 diseases and if your family has Type 2 it does not mean that someone in your family should develop Type 1.

Type 1 can develop at any age and nothing a person ate, or a special body type caused it. It is caused because the beta cells attack one another in the pancreas that causes the pancreas to stop producing insulin. So now insulin has to be injected into the body another way.

If you have Type 1 Diabetes it is completely different then Type 2.

Type 1` is a autoimmune disease and without insulin you will DIE!

People who have Type 1 can develop Type 2 but their is no correlation between the 2 diseases and if your family has Type 2 it does not mean that someone in your family should develop Type 1.

Type 1 can develop at any age and nothing a person ate, or a special body type caused it. It is caused because the beta cells attack one another in the pancreas that causes the pancreas to stop producing insulin. So now insulin has to be injected into the body another way.

Yes. And I was an adult diagnosed Type 1- by going into a diabetic coma. OP, you can not be a Type 1 living without insulin.

Type 2's can often live without insulin, with changes in lifestyle/diet.

As of right now, it is not possible to reverse type 1 diabetes, not matter what a film said. (Excluding transplant- of course).

Edited by jazzyfizzle

I am only allowed ONE serving of carbs and NO fruit for breakfast b/c during the night, I haven't eaten for 8+ hours, so blood sugar is low, eating too much carbs/sugar would cause a spike. Your goal is to keep your blood sugar stable/level, no spikes- up OR down.

Do you eat supper? That used to make a big difference for me.

Rosie

Thanks!

Sorry, I read this to mean you did not know if you and/or your mother had type 1 or 2.

People with advanced Type II diabetes also need insulin. It's not just used for people with Type I.

There are a lot of controversies in the medical and alternative medical community about how to prevent pre-diabetes from developing into diabetes. The things that are agreed to by everyone include:

1. Exercise a LOT. Best is to take about a 10 minute walk after each meal or snack, and also exercise aerobically for an hour 5-6 days per week. This does many things for you. It improves circulation. It reduced blood pressure over time. It improves heart and lung function. It enables your cells to accept insulin and burn glucose more readily--in early stages of Type II, and in pre-diabetes, cells are developing insulin resistance; forcing the pancreous to make higher than normal amounts of insulin to carry the glucose into the cells--eventually wearing it out completely. Exercise reduces this insulin resistance, and coupled with weight loss can completely reverse it if it's caught early enough. It also helps with weight loss itself.

2. Lose weight, significant amounts, and maintain a healthy, low weight. This reduces actual participation by fat cells in advancing diabetes. It also helps digestion, circulation, reduces heart and lung stress, etc.

3. Eat lots and lots of leafy greens and other low carb veggies. I'm talking about 6-8 cups along with some lean protein comprising a meal every day or so. Braised greens are good, too. (Carb-heavy winter veggies are not good for this.)

4. Drink lots of water, and don't ever drink soda.

5. Avoid blood sugar spikes by any means necessary. They cause severe cummulative damage, eventually irreversibly so. So, you get a finger prick test, and you check yourself when you eat that bread at the half hour, hour, and maybe even 2 hour point. And then you decide. Is it a problem FOR YOU or not? Lather, rinse, repeat. Know your patterns, be vigilant, never overeat, especially carbs or high animal fats, and practice moderation.

Beyond that, there are differences of opinion.

Edited by Carol in Cal.

If you are type 1, you will not live long (days) if you are undiagnosed because Type 1 diabetics do not make insulin. Type 1 diabetes diagnosis usually (always?) includes a hospital stay until they can stabilize your blood sugar. You would know if you are type 1. You will have to check your blood sugar several times a day, and give yourself an insulin shot.

A person with Type 2 could develop Type 1, just like anyone else could.

Type 2 diabetics make insulin, but their body doesn't make proper use of it. Most Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or even reversed through diet and exercise.

Whole grain breads are a healthy part of a diet. It's just starch as well as sugar can increase your blood sugar levels and with ill-controlled insulin, your body can't keep your blood sugar at an optimal level. You should eat a balanced meal or snack when you eat: protein, fat, carb.

There is a small amount of protein in spinach and leafy greens, but you'd have to eat a ton (enough to turn you green :D) to get your daily requirement.

When my dh was diagnosed with diabetes last spring, this website was a great help to us: www.bloodsugar101.com. The basic idea is that you need to closely check your blood sugars after eating different foods to find out what your body can handle, because everyone processes food a little differently. While it may be OK for one person to eat whole-grain wheat bread, it may cause a spike for another.

Dh's doctor advised him to eat rye bread, which has a lower glycemic index. Also Ezekiel bread (made from chick peas) and Basmati rice (although white, has a lower glycemic index than brown rice). Dh will occasionally eat wheat bread, potatoes or pasta without a problem, but for the most part sticks to dishes based more on beans, eggs, meat and veggies.

Hope you find what works for you. Take care,

Suzanne

DD developed type 1 as a toddler, and we do not restrict her diet in any way (within reason). We count all carbs and give her insulin based on carbs she eats. I don't know much about type 2, but I don't think bread must be eliminated as long as it is all part of a healthy diet.

HTH,

Jessica

mom of 5yo and 3yo, preparing to homeschool

Type I is an autoimmune disease that destroys the islet cells in the pancreas that produce insulin. Type I people do not (after the "honeymoon" phase where small and unpredictable amounts of insulin is produced) produce any insulin. To diagnose type I you can have antibody tests done. There are three antibodies for which they test. Those tests will tell you if you are type I.

ALL type I people need insulin to live. Without insulin the sugar you need to live can't pass into the cells. Some early signs are extreme thirst, frequent urination, headaches, stomach aches because of ketones, blurry vision, overall blah feeling. After you have experienced that for a bit, how long varies by person, you typically lose weight FAST, feel EXHAUSTED, start vomiting, and can't eat without vomiting. You then go to the ER to get help. Note, I recommend skipping the last few steps and just go to the doctor before you get that bad. Problem is some of the things look like a stomach bug or something, so people often just wait to get better. Type I people will "go downhill fast" if they do not have insulin.

Yes, adults can develop type I, but the docs always suspect type II first in people over a certain age...I can't remember the exact age right now...35, maybe?? If you suspect type I insist on the antibody tests even if you are older.

Please note that 90 - 95 % of all diabetes is type II—where, as I understand it, either the pancreas doesn't produce adequate amounts of insulin or the body doesn't utilize the insulin properly, or a combination or both. That means that 90 - 95% (or more, really) of everything you read, or see in TV ads, or see on the news pertains to type II . Type I and II are really very different diseases, so thinking a type II remedy will help a type I may not be accurate. Indeed, often isn't accurate. Of course, good nutrition helps everyone, but a type I can't eat themselves out of diabetes. Exercise is good for everyone, but a type I can't exercise themselves out of diabetes. Dear Lord above, I wish they could, but they can't.

I really wish type I was called something other than diabetes because the stuff you read can really get confusing if you think all diabetes is the same. Problem is that when diabetes was first discovered they didn't know there was a difference. They just knew that children (mostly type I) often died quickly after diagnosis and adults (mostly type II) didn't. Now we know why, but the name has not been changed.

There are even three other type of diabetes that are way beyond the scope of this writing. LOL One is gestational, the other is type 1 ½, and another is MODY. I do not think the the type 1 ½ is completely understood/accepted. I have read about it, but don’t know how accepted it is in the medical community. See http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10052687 .

I have been told, although it hasn't come up in my library queue so I can't attest personally, that a good book to read about type I and the, thank you Jesus, discovery of injectable insulin is Breakthrough: Elizabeth Hughes, the Discovery of Insulin, and the Making of a Medical Miracle by Thea Cooper and Arthur Ainsberg. It is sort of historical fiction, so keep that in mind. The basics are accurate, but I don't think it is a completely non-fiction work. I will know more after I read it!

If you think you have any kind of diabetes see your doctor immediately. I am not a doctor of medicine or osteopathy or any other type of medical professional. Yes, this is my disclaimer statement! LOL