Menu

Tell me about Wii and Netflix...

We shut off our tv channels last year sometime and haven't done anything but movies in our dvd. I've heard about using the Wii for Netflix streaming or something like that? Could someone explain to me how it works and what we get? Is it "on demand" or are you limited with what you get and when you get it? How much does it cost? Per month? As you access a movie or show? I'm uneducated on it, so all helpful info. would be appreciated. We don't have a Wii, but might consider getting one if we could use it for Netflix as well as limited entertainment for the kiddos (and us too, I'm sure). Thanks...

Super Easy!

On the Wii there are 'channels'. The little icons that take you to different functions like the games or The Weather Chanel (a preloaded option on ours). If you have Netflix, there is a Netflix Chanel. You simply click the icon.

It takes you to a cue of movies/tv shows available for download. There is a lot, but it isn't the full Netflix library.

If you want to watch a show, you click the show. It downloads and starts in a few seconds. Very fast, the longest I have noticed was maybe 15 seconds or so.

You can then watch it however you want. You can start/stop/ffwd/rwd.

Our plan is something like $12. We get unlimited downloads, and one movie out at a time. That way we can still get a rental that isn't in the instant view cue.

There is a basic search feature that allows you to search by title on the screen, but online there is a much better search feature.

You can watch shows on the TV or on your computer. You can also watch several things at on time on different devices. You can search on your computer, add items to the instant cue, and then when you go back to the TV they are in this cue, so they are easy to find later. ie if you wanted to find movies with a certain actor, you can do that at Netflix, but not on the TV. BUt, they make it very easy to select movies on line and then have those items categorized when you go back to the TV.

One thing I have a love/hate relationship with is that there is a 'recently viewed category' and it show every thing watched. I like it so I can easily monitor the kids, but I don't always want the kids knowing what dh/I watch. Not like we are downloading p*rn but some movie titles sound much worse that they really are in content. They wouldn't know that .

You have to have wireless internet or your Wii connected to an internet line. We have wireless in our house and it is super easy.

For just Wii movies it is 7.99 a month. The selection is somewhat limited, as the newest movies are there, but you can also watch a lot of TV shows.

Okay, so let me see if I have this right...

First, buy a Wii. :001_smile: Are there different Wii's? How much is the one that I should get?

We have wireless internet, so does the Wii come with directions on what to do or do I call Netflix or my wireless internet company to set it up? What program choice do I want from Netflix?

Do you have to have a landline? We do not, only cell.

Now, regarding the blue ray option. What is a blue ray???:tongue_smilie:

There is only one Wii and it's roughly $200. There are different colors, though. :001_smile:

If you'd like a video game system that also plays Netflix, it's a good choice. Otherwise, you have other options. You can get other devices that are cheaper that allow you to stream movies to your TV.

If you do go with Wii, it is very easy to set it up for internet. It will walk you thru it.

You do not need a landline.

A blu ray is a player for blu ray discs, which are hi-def dvds, basically.

There is only one Wii and it's roughly $200. There are different colors, though. :001_smile:

If you'd like a video game system that also plays Netflix, it's a good choice. Otherwise, you have other options. You can get other devices that are cheaper that allow you to stream movies to your TV.

If you do go with Wii, it is very easy to set it up for internet. It will walk you thru it.

You do not need a landline.

A blu ray is a player for blu ray discs, which are hi-def dvds, basically.

The OP could also get the intro-level Roku for $59.

OP: Do you have a widescreen TV?

I am not sure about this, but I that if you have a laptop, you can just stream Netflix to the laptop and then use an HDMI (or other style of cords) to have the image show on your TV.

Netflix almost always has 1st month free deals, so it may be a good way to try it out.

I am not sure about this, but I that if you have a laptop, you can just stream Netflix to the laptop and then use an HDMI (or other style of cords) to have the image show on your TV.
Even with a laptop connected via HDMI to an HDTV (best case scenario), the quality leaves something to be desired. If you're a person who is driven even a little crazy by audio being even slightly out of sync with video, this is not the solution for you.

Edited to add: s-video out (if available from the laptop) to a older TV might work, but you'll also need a headphone to RCA cable adapter for sound. Picture quality will not be DVD quality, but it might be passable.

Edited by nmoira

It is great and runs off of your wireless. It connects to your tv and you basically have another huge computer! The best part is that you have a Netflix icon right on the tv monitor. It runs browsers, does Netflix, and a host of other things. I got it at best buy for $299. It is a Logitech Revue. And it is all in hd if your tv is!