Menu

Need suggestions for substituting for the 4 year old co-op teacher who is ill

JRmommy

I was just called to substitute for the 4 year old class because the teacher is ill. The class is TOMORROW from (9 am - 12 noon EST). I know she normally does activities surrounding one (or two) of the alphabet. I believe the next letters would be I and J. Then, she reads a book and does an activity. They have a snack time, and she does a math activity. Any recommendations or websites that would be of help?! Please pass them along!

I'd look around the house for some books that have to do with those two letters (or title begins with J, character's name is J, etc.) You could print out a large letter J on 8x10 paper and have them do something creative with the letter (glue and glitter, paint it, glue on cheerios, etc. Endless possibilities.)

Have kids think up words that begin with those letters; have a snack that begins with those letters (juice and jelly beans).....action that begins with those letters (jumping jacks, jump, jog, jig....not so good with the letter I, lol!)

For math, a very fun activity could be:

(FWIW, taken from Singapore Math)

Make numbers for the floor in the form of stepping stones. I simply used typing paper, but if you have access to a bit larger or sturdier paper, that might be better. If you have a concrete floor that you can use chalk on, that works super -- just make it like hopscotch squares. . . It doesn't need to be a straight line, a bit of a curve makes it interesting (but you wouldn't want it to make a circle, lol).

Make numbers from 0 to 10 (or 20 if the kids are better counters). . .

Have a child begin at a random number. . . then have them hop (or step) while counting the numbers aloud, to count a simple addition problem (then you can do subtraction). . . Then she announces the answer. . .

i.e., it's Jill's turn.

Tell Jill, "Go to 5"

She does.

Tell Jill, "Count on plus three. Count aloud!"

Jill says, "5", hops 1 square, says "1", hops 1 more, "2" hops 1 more, "3!!!" "5 plus 3 equals 8!"

You can say this all along with her to help her. . . after several go rounds, they'll get the drill.

You can give them easy ones to start, then get harder, and adapt how hard the problem is to the child's ability. Help them at the beginning, in fact, it might be best to have the whole class count aloud and do it as a mass chant with the kids taking turns doing the hopping. . . that'd keep them all involved and reduce any pressure on the individual.

To up the challenge, go to 20. . . Or do subtraction. . . etc. You could also make a set of numbers just from 30-50 and do it with the higher numbers, so they get the idea they can use this technique anywhere in the number line, even if they aren't close to zero.

Be sure they are counting aloud (1, 2, 3, NOT 6, 7, 8) b/c this "counting on" skill is very helpful when doing later math (1st/2nd grade).

HTH

Have fun.

Not a suggestion to help you out tomorrow, but I run a co-op and we started to require that sub plans be uploaded with class proposals - and must include all the materials to do the activities. This, combined with designated subs (also to be submitted with proposals), will hopefully cut down (notice I didn't say "eliminate!") frantic, last-minute planning! We'll see...our next session starts on Friday... :001_smile:

Not a suggestion to help you out tomorrow, but I run a co-op and we started to require that sub plans be uploaded with class proposals - and must include all the materials to do the activities. This, combined with designated subs (also to be submitted with proposals), will hopefully cut down (notice I didn't say "eliminate!") frantic, last-minute planning! We'll see...our next session starts on Friday... :001_smile:

Thanks for this suggestion! I will definitely give this suggestion to the director.