Menu

Konos Resources?

sewgirlie

I just ordered Volume I of Konos, because dh wanted me to do more fun things with the dc.

I thought it would be easy to find info about because it's been around so long and is so popular. But I can't find anything accept the official forum and I'm waiting to get approved to look at that.

Does anyone know of any other forums, blogs, booklists, etc?

Thanks!

I did 3 years of Konos... looked online for some activity helps, took too long, so I used the guidebook only and the library. Sometimes it was frustrating to try to figure it out from the book, I just passed on activities I couldn't realistically do.

Oh, and that's how I learned to sew... from making Konos costumes. You don't have to do everything, I usually chose 1 activity per day, or worked up to the grand finale. Either way, the kids loved it! It made the early years fun for them, busy for me...

I just wanted to snoop at blogs where people had been using Konos. Also, I was hoping to find booklists using common books, so I don't have to start from scratch.

I think you both have a good point. Once I'm actually using it, I may have to limit myself to the manual and our bookshelves, because otherwise I'll get carried away...

Ohhh, an excuse to sew for school. I think I'm going to like this!

Talk about getting carried away... I used to get something like 25 books from the library for the unit we were studying. The kids just didn't seem to appreciate that so much.

I did have to spend time planning which activities from the list would be done in a given week. I spent time on the grand finale and still look at the photos with fond memories... like the Conestoga wagon/ pioneering unit, or the Medieval feast.

I did those activities that were an integral part of the unit or looked like they would help them understand something better and the others as suggested activities for added fun. I had to be disciplined to not feel guilty for leaving some out, I had a hard time with that.

I just ordered Volume I of Konos, because dh wanted me to do more fun things with the dc.

I thought it would be easy to find info about because it's been around so long and is so popular. But I can't find anything accept the official forum and I'm waiting to get approved to look at that.

Does anyone know of any other forums, blogs, booklists, etc?

Thanks!

I think it HAS been around a long time, but I don't think it is very popular because it is so time intensive. I don't mind putting time in on my programs, but I bought it and sold it within a week. Not to discourage you, but I think you may have a hard time finding people who use it and share info about it.

Does anyone know of any other forums, blogs, booklists, etc? Thanks!

Welcome! There aren't too many folks here that use Konos because it's not what you could call *classical* LOL, but it is a fabulous curriculum. We've used it, off and on, for many years. My photo albums are filled with precious memories of the things we've done together. My oldest dd is a nature artist, and credits her Konos studies in birds as the catalyst. I guess you're familiar with the way Konos lays out it's week plans from their website. When you get your big volume in the mail, don't be discouraged. Take the first unit *Attentiveness*. Within that unit you'll be studying about the senses, music, birds, and our all-time favorite, Indians. Your kids will love it. Let Dad get involved, too! Just go to the library and get a few picture books on the topic of, say, birds. You'll have a family read aloud, and they can have a reader. I won't go into anymore detail now, but I just wanted to tell you that, for our family, Konos has been a tremendous blessing. You might want to check out their other site: Homeschool Mentor. It's wonderful. Here is a great blog that you might find helpful: http://sbees.blogspot.com/2005/08/konos-planning-for-dummies.html

That's all I can think of for now. Have fun and don't stress LOL. Make some memories. :)

Thank you everyone for the info encouragement!

I don't know if Konos will work out for us, but I think it's worth a try. The worst thing that could happen is we end up doing one unit and not liking it. We're “trying on†different unit studies the next few months to see what we want to do next year.

I'm not scared of the planning. I actually love to plan, sometimes too much. It's the follow-through that concerns me!

Everyone seems to have quit using this as their children got older... Could you tell me what ages you quit at?

We're already doing and plan to continue The Robinson Curriculum, so this would be on top of that for our K and 5th grade children.

Thanks!

...Everyone seems to have quit using this as their children got older... Could you tell me what ages you quit at? ...

Thanks!

My 11 and 13 dds are using it (Homeschool Mentor Volume 2) this year, and we plan to do Volume 3 next year. Then our (now) 13dd will jump into Konos High School, which will suit her crafty personality.

I think it HAS been around a long time, but I don't think it is very popular because it is so time intensive. I don't mind putting time in on my programs, but I bought it and sold it within a week. Not to discourage you, but I think you may have a hard time finding people who use it and share info about it.

It's only time intensive if you make it that way. :-)

We did KONOS two days a week, and finished a volume in a year (not all the activities, but all the character traits); I could plan a month's worth of KONOS activities on a Sunday evening. And yes, I was satisified with what we did, and what my dc learned. :)

My only regret with KONOS is that we started hsing before it was written (f1984), so that by the time it was in three complete volumes my dc were too old to have done them all.

Talk about getting carried away... I used to get something like 25 books from the library for the unit we were studying.

And I rarely used the library. :-) If I had time to go, I'd plan activities that relied on library books; if not, I planned something different. The vast majority of KONOS activities are right in the book itself. Outside resources are optional.

It's only time intensive if you make it that way. :-)

We did KONOS two days a week, and finished a volume in a year (not all the activities, but all the character traits); I could plan a month's worth of KONOS activities on a Sunday evening. And yes, I was satisified with what we did, and what my dc learned. :)

My only regret with KONOS is that we started hsing before it was written (f1984), so that by the time it was in three complete volumes my dc were too old to have done them all.

Ellie, I would love to be your next door neighbor. Better still, can we pitch a tent in your backyard? :D

I'm using Konos, not everything, just some units. And I add my own units. It doesn't take that much planning. Choose the activities you want to do, write down the material you need for it, and get some books (library or shop). That's really it. Of course you can add lapbooks and that sort, but that will take more time to plan.