Menu

What do I have? Natural remedies?

I've had a fever of 101-103 for the past 3 days. My throat is very sore, and lots of congestion, but not a runny nose. I've had a stiff neck for 3 days. I woke up this morning and, although the fever has gone, my head feels like a ton of bricks is weighing it down.

I would also love any suggestions on how I could possibly feel better. I have been taking extra strength Tylenol and took benedryl this morning. I have no health insurance, hate doctors, and don't want to go to urgent care if I don't have to.

Any natural remedy suggestions?

Edited by parias1126

Can you bend your neck (bend your chin down to your chest?) Stiff neck concerns me. If you can do the above you are probably fine, if you can't, please go the doctor anyway as it could be a sign of meningitis. I am quite sensitive to this topic as I had a dear childhood friend die from it.

I have had several rounds of illness this year, which is unusual for me. I had pneumonia, which had some of the same symptoms you are describing. Then I had a sinus infection, then an ear infection! UGH!

I am sorry you are sick. Def. get some Vitamin C, some probiotics, and plenty of fluid and rest.

Dawn

Can you bend your neck (bend your chin down to your chest?) Stiff neck concerns me. If you can do the above you are probably fine, if you can't, please go the doctor anyway as it could be a sign of meningitis. I am quite sensitive to this topic as I had a dear childhood friend die from it.

I have had several rounds of illness this year, which is unusual for me. I had pneumonia, which had some of the same symptoms you are describing. Then I had a sinus infection, then an ear infection! UGH!

I am sorry you are sick. Def. get some Vitamin C, some probiotics, and plenty of fluid and rest.

Dawn

it is stiff but I can bend it. I'm so sorry about your friend! But yes, I have been drinking nothing but cranberry juice and taking vitamin C.

When you say stiff neck, do you mean it's sore, or do you mean you can't put your chin down to your chest? If you can't put your chin to your chest, get to the emergency room ASAP, because it could be meningitis! If it's just sore, it may simply be because of the way you are sleeping due to the congestion.

To open those sinuses, use a good decongestant (Sudafed or store equivalent - the ORIGINAL Sudafed that you have to sign for at the pharmacy, the pseudoepiniphrine stuff). Also, use a netipot, Sinucleanse, NeilMed rinse, etc. to irrigate those sinuses. Chicken soup with lots and lots of garlic (let sit 15 minutes after crushing before adding it to soup). Drink lots of fluids during the day. Prop yourself up to sleep.

I hope you feel better soon.

Raw garlic and lots of it to help boost your immune system.

Raw honey (1 tsp as often as needed) to soothe your sore throat.

Neti pot for the congestion.

The stiff neck is a concern. If your symptoms are not abating I would head to the doctor for it may be strep.

We knock most things out pretty efficiently with extra doses of vitamin C or drinking it in orange or cranberry juice, plus olive leaf oil (nasty tasting so I put it in veggie capsules so the kids can just swallow), oregano oil (same thing, combine it with the olive leaf), and elderberry extract. My favorite brand of elderberry is "sambucol" which is also the actual name of the compound that is found to work against viral and bacterial infections. I also give probiotics to make sure the gut is in good shape for maximum absorption. I also have some wintergreen berry extract that my sister-in-law made and I do dole that out but it was a pain for her to make and it's another killer taste...plus it's not highly concentrated so you actually have to take about three tablespoons of it....ugh!!!!

But, we start these things at the very onset of symptoms and I require extra sleep to go with this because I firmly believe the body needs large amounts of rest in order to fight infections.

The other thing we do, which is probably somewhat controversial because we do this for our kids too, is to get rid of strep, staff, or tonsilitis before it takes hold, is make hot toddy's at the onset of the sore throat. It knocks it right out!! Since we don't want our kids to like the taste of alcohol and therefore desire to raid the medicine cupboard, we use vodka. I make a mild green or white tea and add a tablespoon of lemon, a teaspoon or two of honey (too taste) - honey is another huge bacterial fighter - and a tablespoon of vodka. They get it three times a day the first day and by bedtime, it is rare for anyone to still have a sore throat. I think that the vodka washing down is a good sterilizer - the kids tell me it tastes like they would imagine rubbing alcohol or turpentine would - and the honey and lemon are natural bacterial killers too.

For the first 15 years of our marriage, I always, always, always, had a horrible case of laryngitis every single October and it would last for 3 weeks. It was always accompanied by a nasty, three week, sore throat and every year I would troop to the doctor to be tested for the usual strep, staff, and tonsilitis and every year I was told it was a virus and had to wait for it to run its course. Year number 16 I decided to ask around about old fashioned remedies and was told, make a hot toddy - brandy was recommended but I just went with the cheap vodka. I would drink one a day and instead of three weeks in duration, it lasted eight days. The next year I drank two per day and it lasted three days. The third year, I had two. Just two and that was it, no more symptoms. The next year I had one the minute I felt symptomatic and that was it. Since then (3 years now), I haven't had it at all.

Faith