Menu

Getting scared

Our oldest is in 5th grade this year. I feel like we've gotten into a groove that has been working for us finally. I'm pretty much not planning on changing a thing for next year, but I'm starting to get a bit scared about the whole middle school thing.

Please tell me I'm not alone and that I can actually do this. I feel comfortable with what we are going to be doing, but I feel like I'm going to miss something and that it will ruin him for life. I can do this, right? And he can turn out all right?

You might miss something. It won't ruin him for life. You CAN do this - and do it well! Hitting your stride feels good. Enjoy it! You'll have doubts. They'll come, they'll pass, sometimes quickly, sometimes it takes longer. You'll have doubts again right before he gets to be a freshman! :D Those will pass too.

You can absolutely do this!

You can do it. Like anything else, you advance one step at a time. I stumble to the high school board once in a while. After reading it for a year I'm doing okay, but reading the college board scares me!!!

Middle school is just the next step, you don't have to figure it out all at once.

I tend to be very unsure of my future plans and very confident of my past accomplishments. So, I was very unsure of myself starting middle school, and now that middle school is done, I can look back and see that we did great!

I'm so glad that I (mostly) stuck with the same curriculum throughout middle school. My goal was to be DONE with grammar, spelling, and writing instruction by high school. I wanted a good overview of the sciences. I wanted to have an introduction to literary analysis. I accomplished all that.

The one thing I regret is dropping Latin. The battle became too big. :tongue_smilie:

The hardest part of middle school is the one thing you can't control - hormones. :banghead:

You might "miss something" they'd be doing in public school- but how much do YOU remember of what you learned in public school anyway? ;)

It won't ruin him for life. Do what's working for you guys. If it's working and if he's enjoying it, he'll probably retain more of it than he'd have retained in public school anyway!

If there's something he finds out he really needs when he's older, in order to follow a path he wants to follow, he'll have all the motivation in the world to fill in that gap when the time comes (and a very motivated young adult will do much better with that than a disinterested preteen will IMHO).

at least we can be scared together:grouphug:. I have a 5th grade son too who we just started to homeschool this year. Like you,we like our cirrculum so we will continue with that next year. It's high school that really freaks me out:confused: but I'm just going to take one day at a time:chillpill:

but I'm just going to take one day at a time:chillpill:

:iagree: you do need to just take it one day at a time. I periodically feel that I'm ruining my kids, but then on the other hand, I would almost certainly be ruining them if I sent them to any of the local schools! We live in an economically depressed and socially deprived area, and the nearest elementary school is notorious for just about everything negative.. so.. I figure I can't do much worse than that!

I don't even feel that I'm in a groove yet (what does that feel like, anyway?!) as my best attempts at sticking with the schedule often fail.. but then, I have over-scheduled our week with essentials first and then extras that I'd love to fit in, so that if we manage to do most of it we are doing alright. (At least, that's the theory :001_smile: )

I think what I'd really love, is to just KNOW that I have finally picked the right programs for my kids, AND to be able to do school without distractions. I have a 5yo and 3yo, so I guess that's a pie in the sky. Mamas with preschoolers and Kindergarteners will be able to relate!!