Menu

Shower door broke, who do I call??

Do I call a plumber? A contractor supply store? I've already called Lowe's and another store listed as selling "plumbing fixtures" but they only sold shower doors as part of a "unit" (so if you were buying the WHOLE tub/door/faucet set). But all I need is a door! :glare:

You can call a glass repair shop.

But it's not the glass that broke, it's the metal contraption at the top that holds the wheels on. It bent and snapped in the middle so there's no way to keep the wheels straight and the door keep coming off the track, and prevents the unbroken door from sliding smoothly on the other track. Would a glass repair person still be the one to call for something like that?

Mine did the same thing a few years ago. Ours is a free-standing glass shower and the door just broke off the hinges. Contractors told us the entire thing would need to be replaced. :glare: I got a springy shower rod and a shower curtain and strung it up across the door. It's still there, years later. :lol:

But it's not the glass that broke, it's the metal contraption at the top that holds the wheels on. It bent and snapped in the middle so there's no way to keep the wheels straight and the door keep coming off the track, and prevents the unbroken door from sliding smoothly on the other track. Would a glass repair person still be the one to call for something like that?

Oh. Then you need an entire new door or at least the frame. Are there any independent bath remodeling shops around? They'll often sell you parts etc. without having to get the entire package.

I have taken some of those out, and they are a cinch to remove and install. Try looking some place like this:

http://www.doorandwindowparts.com/tub-and-shower-door-parts-hardware/shower-door-guides.html

The top piece just screws into your tile; the bottom piece is cemented on but is still easy to remove/install with the proper adhesive.

Terri

We got our shower doors (sliding) from a Bath/Counter/Marble shop. They do bath remodels and new construction, cultured marble, and other bath fixtures.

Is there any sort of name on the frame or the glass? If so, maybe you could google them, and find a local contractor that deals with their products. Otherwise, you'll probably need a whole new door and frame.

Do you have the paperwork on the shower doors? If not, is there any label showing the brand? If not, you can look online and see if you recognize the model you have. Then call the manufacturer and ask for a replacement part. Even if they charge, it won't be huge and it should be easy enough to do.

If that's not an option, look for a home remodeler or handyman and they can easily replace the door for you. It doesn't hurt to do some looking in a plumbing supply showroom, Lowe's or Home Depot first so you can tell them which door you want. Make sure you have measurements on height, width and clearance needed if door opens. Sliding doors are better if at all possible since all the "drips" stay inside the shower area. When you start looking, you'll be amazed at all the options there are. Some are really beautiful and can really improve the whole look of the bath.

So, if I understand you, it's just the metal piece that holds the door on it's track? Yeah, call a couple of local glass shops. Two in my area have told me they can do that, and I can't remember how much they told me it would cost but it was very inexpensive. (I'm actually going to have the sliding doors on my fiberglass shower unit switched out for a swinging door though).