Menu

Scrapbooking: Do you let your kids do their own?

I have albums for all 3 of my kids. Emma's baby book is done, I think. Abbie's needs some journaling. Isaac's is barely started. My intention was to have a scrapbook for each child and a family one.

Childhood memories are important to me; I don't have a lot of pictures of when I was growing up, but lots of precious memories of living next door to all my grandparents. My kids have long-distance grandparents. I want them to have their scrapbooks so they will see that their grandparents tried hard to have a relationship with them, and so they can see the pictures and remember better.

Reality: I do not have time for FOUR sets of books. I am wondering if I should let the girls start working on their own. They do enjoy scrapbooking, and it would be time for us to sit together and chat about the pictures, and hear what THEY want to remember. If I think something is important that they don't think they want, I just put it in my book.

Of course, I will keep doing Isaac's because he is 3. I might always do his because he is a boy. But, he might like it too! Who knows?

I know I'm a big girl and can make my own decision here, but wondered if anyone else has BTDT?

my girls and I do what we call junk journaling! Here is a

who taught us! The girls do more memories and fun things and then I can still sit with them and do their books. It is a win win situation, they have their funky cool books and I have the ones I want! LOL and that they enjoy reading from mom's point of view!

They are a bit addicted to the junk journals now!!

Well, this is what I do...

I have a book for each child and in that I've done about 8-10 (double lay-out) pages for their first year. After that I do a page (again, double lay-out) for each birthday and 2 for each year. So there would be 1st birthday part, then 2 (double page lay-outs) for stuff that happened when they were one, then 2nd birthday page followed by 2 more (double page lay-outs) for when they were 2. I just try to hit the hi-lights or use my favorite pictures. That's all I can really muster for their baby books.

I have grand plans to put together a family album too but haven't gotten that far yet. :o My plan with that will be to do Christmas lay-outs, family outings, holidays, or other events where most of us are in the pictures. We'll see how this plan pans out. :tongue_smilie:

I'm a tad behind in my albums. :leaving:

My older 2 (6 and 9) each have their own scrapbooks that they make themselves- they include any pictures that they've taken on their cameras and write whatever the want in them. Their books are about their memories and I keep them separate from their "baby" albums that I make.

I have been scrapbooking for about 15 years. I have 3 dd (14, 13, 12) and a scrapbook for each and a scrapbook for family & friends. About 5 years ago, I started allowing them to help me put their scrapbook together with me doing most of the work. The next year, they did more on their own. They eventually did their own themes/ideas, but I had to approve first. Now they do it all...I don't even look at it until they are finished. We do our scrapbooking every Jan for the previous year. They also take most of the pictures, since each one got a digital camera for Christmas about 3 years ago. They LOVE looking at all the scrapbooks over and over and over again. It is fun to see how the design ideas have changed over the years too!

Nancy

My girls do scrapbook, but those books don't 'replace' the scrapbooks I do. Don't forget, you can simply start scrapping them all together, no separate books! Keep doing the little one separate for a while, but move to one book for everything else. I do individual PAGES for each girl sometimes, (as in that child is the only one in that layout), but I could never wrap my mind around the idea of scrapping, say, Halloween two or three separate times. No thank you, lol, I'm far enough behind as it is!

My girls do scrapbook, but those books don't 'replace' the scrapbooks I do. Don't forget, you can simply start scrapping them all together, no separate books! Keep doing the little one separate for a while, but move to one book for everything else. I do individual PAGES for each girl sometimes, (as in that child is the only one in that layout), but I could never wrap my mind around the idea of scrapping, say, Halloween two or three separate times. No thank you, lol, I'm far enough behind as it is!

I'm making each of my boys their own and then will catch up my family one (for me). I wish I could just do one book (would be so much less time). I have twins so I really get to scrap the same events twice -- LOL, but I would rather them not have to deal with who gets what pictures and possibly separating the books when they move out (or I am gone).

For the OP, I only have the 2 boys and I will always do their books (my thoughts about them, my handwriting, etc). They will get to do their own books if they are interested when they get older.

• 11 months later...

I'm starting to do this this year. We're going to take our first stab at it next week.

I've split up all our pictures - I've kept a lot and then made a chronological pile for each of the kids. I've also pulled out stuff from concerts, school things, etc., and put them in piles for each kids. I'm going to keep the time frame short so they don't get overwhelmed, and will start doing it every once in awhile until we catch up (that will probably take all year - maybe once a month). Then we'll start doing it annually like someone else said.

Since I'll have one main "family" album that I control, I'm just going to let them do theirs however they please.