Menu

Homeschooling in Morris County, NJ

Hello,

Does anyone homeschool in Morris County,NJ and do you know if we are able to use the public school system for certain subjects and homeschool the remainder? My son needs additional help in reading and was just wondering if I can get him additional help in the public school. He is on the autistic spectrum.

Thanks and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Lilly

Hi Lily - we are in Warren county. As far as I know, it depends. The public schools have to give special educational services to private school students if needed. If your local PS already gives these services to private school students, then they would have to give them to you as well. If they do not, then it is up to the school.

I lifted this from the NJ Dept of Ed. website:

Special Education Services - In accordance with the federal special education law, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (P.L. 108-446 §612), the board of education must ensure that “all children with disabilities residing in the State, including children with disabilities attending private schools, regardless of the severity of the disability, and who are in need of special education and related services, are identified, located and evaluated...â€

When the public school district receives a written request for special education evaluation, the district must review the request in a meeting of the child study team, the parent/guardian and the regular education teacher. This procedure applies to children who are educated at home. At the meeting, current information about the child is reviewed to determine whether an evaluation is warranted. If an evaluation is warranted, another determination will be made regarding the assessment procedures. Written notice of the determinations is given to parent/guardian. Once the assessments are completed, a meeting in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6A:14-2.3(i)1 is held to determine whether the child is eligible for special education and related services.

If the child is eligible for special education and related services, the public school district must make a free, appropriate public education available only if the child enrolls in the district. If the child does not enroll in the public school district, but the district chooses to provide services, the district would develop a plan for the services to be provided.

Here's the link to NJDOE frequently asked questions:

http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/faq/faq_homeschool.htm

Hope this helps:)

As far as I know, the State is under no obligation to provide services unless you are enrolled in school.

Unfortunately everything I see indicates this is true. It is up to the districts what they want to provide and, from what I've seen, most don't do anything.

I'm also in Morris County.

Wow thank you everyone. I am still throwing back and forth the ps or homeschooling. I really would love to continue homeschooling but he may need some special services from the ps that I am unable to give him, especially in the reading section. Not sure. My heart of hearts I want to homeschool. I really need to help him reach a higher level of reading. He is in 5th grade and is still reading at a third grade level and comprehension is very poor.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts.

Lillian