Menu

Censorship

After reading the thread on Huckleberry Finn I got to thinking about the topic of censorship.

Then I remembered a quote by author Gladys Hunt, "The word censor carries the connotation of supervising the morality of other people...But when we do not choose a book we make that decision for ourselves, not for another family, a school or a population in general."

Any thoughts on the topic of "censorship?"

I think the bigger issue isn't censorship, but why is a book chosen and is there really going to be discussion on the book to the benefit of the student. Are we having them read it because it's "a classic" and we can say they read it or are we having them read it so that they can learn from it?

I think the bigger issue isn't censorship, but why is a book chosen and is there really going to be discussion on the book to the benefit of the student. Are we having them read it because it's "a classic" and we can say they read it or are we having them read it so that they can learn from it?

:iagree:

It's important to distinguish between censorship, protection, and selectivity.

Food for thought...

:iagree:When I make the decision based on my personal convictions that the general public shouldn't read something and try to remove it, that's censorship. When I choose not to have my dc read a certain book in their reading list for their literature program because of certain personal/family convictions, that's protection. When I choose not to read something because of my personal feelings on the content, that's selection.

I don't agree with censorship. I don't like a lot of what's out there, but, it is what it is. I get to choose. Isn't America great!?;)

:iagree:When I make the decision based on my personal convictions that the general public shouldn't read something and try to remove it, that's censorship. When I choose not to have my dc read a certain book in their reading list for their literature program because of certain personal/family convictions, that's protection. When I choose not to read something because of my personal feelings on the content, that's selection.

I don't agree with censorship. I don't like a lot of what's out there, but, it is what it is. I get to choose. Isn't America great!?;)

Wss

:iagree:

To me censorship falls in the same category as the govt. taking my money for every other cause under the sun besides the basics of governing - roads, fire/police, courts, military etc. Decisions I make on what to read or listen to (censorship) as well as what I am willing to financially support (the arts, social services, etc.) should be made from what is deep in my heart, convictions that I hold and things that I believe in, and should not be forced upon me by the government. A good society is not created by the govt. but rather by me teaching my children, and you all teaching your children what is good and what is right and to act on those convictions. It is true, not everyone does that, but the govt. stepping in doesn't even come close to making up for it.

I believe in censorship as in everyone in town does not want the book with the naked lady on the cover on display at the public library. (This has happened). But not censorship that prohibits books from being printed or sold, or changing books, etc just because someone is offended.