Menu

If you could find a DVD that taught??? what would it be?

Tabrett

I know this is a strange question, but my dh may be going to film school this year and we have always dreamed of creating some sort of homeschool dvd curriculum or supplements.

I have been looking for a DVD like Letter Factory that teaches the advanced phonograms only. That is one prospect.

I have a degree in music and have thought of creating a general music based DVD for homeschoolers that teaches general music similar to public school general music classes for elementary aged dc. This DVD would not require any help from a parent/teacher. It would be the kind of DVD where parent/teacher could pop it in the player and then go cook lunch while the dc interacted with a music class.

What would you want taught on DVD?

It could be just a subset of skills like my advanced phonogram idea or an entire curriculum.

Throw all your thoughts at me!!!!!

:bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear::bigear:

WRITING! Everything else is totally doable for me, but teaching the process of writing is going to be the death of me. I have every curriculum under the sun for this subject (or so it seems) but I still find myself feeling at a loss. I would love an affordable online/dvd program that really teaches this & allows me to take the backseat.

Susan

I'd love to have something like Leapfrog for other languages, especially Greek!

BTW-have you tried the higher level Leapfrog DVDs? (talking words factory, complex words factory, code words caper, I think???). One of my DD's cousins got these for Christmas, and even my DD, who is a fluent reader, and her 9 yr old "big cousin" enjoyed them immensely.

On music, you might want to try Lynn Kleiner's "Kids Make Music". I know there's a set with a book, instruments, DVD, and CD. I used to leave this when I taught PS music, because it was something my students could do with a substitute that didn't require the substitute be comfortable singing or able to read music. Also, while I hesitate to say this, Barney really isn't bad for the young set, if your DC can get beyond the big purple dinosaur. Most of the songs are standard folk songs in a good range that young children SHOULD be singing, and the finger plays and movement games illustrated are pretty typical of a PK/K music class. Add some basic instruments to play steady beat, and you could do far worse.