Menu

Please suggest a French program

blessedmom3

I speak fluently French but my children don't . I am committed to teach them but I need an organized curriculum. My children like workbooks.

Is there such a French curriculum for 7-10 yo that include workbooks ?

I have tons of French children books, Berlitz kids, French songs, videos ,etc but I really need something with workbooks .

There are a variety of programs available with workbooks... here's a page of different programs:

http://www.continentalbook.com/catalog/french/frtext1.html

The CDs are almost always the most expensive part. A lot of the Teacher's Guides will be in French, which has been a hindrance for me but wouldn't be an issue for you.

I've seen Skoldo recommended on another list... haven't tried it, though. http://www.bookdepository.com sells some of their stuff (and they have free shipping)

Galore Park might be on the older end for you kids, but it comes highly recommended.

Good luck!

Thank you for all the suggestions. It seems it's almost impossible to find a good french curriculum for little ones. I am so frustrated!

Why the Americans don't make a good textbook/workbook for elementary??

I am Romanian and I studied English stating in 2nd grade and French in 4th . We had textbooks & workbooks . I think kids learn better when they see how a word it's spelled and it helps them with reading French .

I just don't want to purchase from foreign sites , I want something from amazon , cbd or rainbowresources but there is nothing !!!

Le Francais facile looks boring. And the lady on the cd has a strong Canadian accent.

There are a variety of programs available with workbooks... here's a page of different programs:

http://www.continentalbook.com/catalog/french/frtext1.html

The CDs are almost always the most expensive part. A lot of the Teacher's Guides will be in French, which has been a hindrance for me but wouldn't be an issue for you.

I've seen Skoldo recommended on another list... haven't tried it, though. http://www.bookdepository.com sells some of their stuff (and they have free shipping)

Galore Park might be on the older end for you kids, but it comes highly recommended.

Good luck!

these look interesting but since there are no samples it's hard to know what I am purchasing.

Thank you for all the suggestions. It seems it's almost impossible to find a good french curriculum for little ones. I am so frustrated!

Why the Americans don't make a good textbook/workbook for elementary??

I just don't want to purchase from foreign sites , I want something from amazon , cbd or rainbowresources but there is nothing !!!

I know!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I don't think many elementary schools offer French. (Our district's regular schools don't offer any foreign language)

You might look on Amazon or Book Depository.

I am Romanian and I studied English stating in 2nd grade and French in 4th . We had textbooks & workbooks . I think kids learn better when they see how a word it's spelled and it helps them with reading French .

I have the first level of Alex et Zoe and of Il Etait Une Petite Grenouille (both by CLE) that I can scan in and send you samples. It's definitely tough to pick materials sight-unseen. Our French tutor started us on Alex et Zoe, and said that it was very good, and our new French tutor has agreed and we're continuing with it. I bought Il Etait Une Petite Grenouille before we started with the tutor, but she looked at it and said that it was also very good, but that since it was for younger kids she wanted to stick with Alex et Zoe. (I should mention that I can't sell either; I got them through our charter school and will have to return them eventually.)

Another series that we use is the Learnables. It's not a traditional workbook at all, but the Basic Structures books do have the words written in it. There isn't any writing portion (at least not by the 2nd level), but it builds listening and reading skills.

Since you already speak French you might have some success with doing French in a CM sort of way. We're doing it with the random French children's books that I've picked up over the years. Take a look at this post:

http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com/2010/12/narration-in-spanish-or-french-hard.html

Good luck!

please send me samples !

my email :

r o d i c a at hotmail

Nobody suggested first start french. I realize this is for older kids but it seems great for younger who can read/spell . I just wish there was something with funny pics . Children learn better that way and are more interested.

I might create my own french curriculum soon! I am not good at drawing though.

The idea to do CM way is good. I think I will just do that.

I am not good at drawing though.

Sometimes those are the best pictures... the not-so-great ones with stick figures.

Seriously, I'm always looking for another program. As you've seen, most French programs aren't coming from the US, and on this forum folks are constantly comparing accents on the various programs. And my daughter is always looking for something new (thus the CM idea works, especially with 3 or 4 other programs in the works at the same time).

:)

I have the first level of Alex et Zoe and of Il Etait Une Petite Grenouille (both by CLE) that I can scan in and send you samples. It's definitely tough to pick materials sight-unseen. Our French tutor started us on Alex et Zoe, and said that it was very good, and our new French tutor has agreed and we're continuing with it. I bought Il Etait Une Petite Grenouille before we started with the tutor, but she looked at it and said that it was also very good, but that since it was for younger kids she wanted to stick with Alex et Zoe. (I should mention that I can't sell either; I got them through our charter school and will have to return them eventually.)

Another series that we use is the Learnables. It's not a traditional workbook at all, but the Basic Structures books do have the words written in it. There isn't any writing portion (at least not by the 2nd level), but it builds listening and reading skills.

Since you already speak French you might have some success with doing French in a CM sort of way. We're doing it with the random French children's books that I've picked up over the years. Take a look at this post:

http://fisheracademy.blogspot.com/2010/12/narration-in-spanish-or-french-hard.html

Good luck!

We liked Petite Grenouille. (I speak French fluently as a second language)

We are using Ecoutez, Parlez! and my kids really like it. It's a book with pictures and the written words. It comes with a CD that has you repeat everything as you read along. There is also a workbook you can buy separately if you want writing practice. Or just make your own pages.

I got mine from the Learning House in Ontario, Canada. But Rainbow Resources also has it.

I like Alex et Zoe, but the workbook component is very light. I do use the reading book along with the regular textbook. You can see samples of that if you search inside the book at Amazon. You really can't do this program without the Guide pedagogique. It's essential. I also think the CDs are very important, not because I can't just say the dialogues to my daughter, but I think it's a good idea to have different speakers to help with listening comprehension. Alex et Zoe has many different speakers on their CDs. Also the raps and songs are on the CDs and I would never have guessed how some of them go without the CDs. If you get the classroom CD set, though, you don't need the individual set.

There are 3 volumes of Alex and Zoe, and then it goes into Amis et Cie, which also has 3 volumes. So theoretically you could have 6 years of elementary level French with this.

There are many cool pictures, interesting story lines, etc. My daughter loves it. I do make up my own worksheets sometimes to supplement the workbook, but it's probable that after the first level the amount of writing required increases.

You absolutely need to be able to speak French yourself to use this program to teach. But it's really great if it's an option for you. This is one of the real winners for us here and I'm NOT looking for another program.:001_smile:

these look interesting but since there are no samples it's hard to know what I am purchasing.

Link for So You Really Want to Learn French on this page. It's a text book plus audio, rather than a workbook, but we found it efficient and thorough. Seven is a bit young for it - Hobbes used it at ten, but it was a better fit for Calvin at twelve.

Skoldo samples are here - I haven't used this series though.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

• 1 year later...
I like Alex et Zoe, but the workbook component is very light. I do use the reading book along with the regular textbook. You can see samples of that if you search inside the book at Amazon. You really can't do this program without the Guide pedagogique. It's essential. I also think the CDs are very important, not because I can't just say the dialogues to my daughter, but I think it's a good idea to have different speakers to help with listening comprehension. Alex et Zoe has many different speakers on their CDs. Also the raps and songs are on the CDs and I would never have guessed how some of them go without the CDs. If you get the classroom CD set, though, you don't need the individual set.

There are 3 volumes of Alex and Zoe, and then it goes into Amis et Cie, which also has 3 volumes. So theoretically you could have 6 years of elementary level French with this.

There are many cool pictures, interesting story lines, etc. My daughter loves it. I do make up my own worksheets sometimes to supplement the workbook, but it's probable that after the first level the amount of writing required increases.

You absolutely need to be able to speak French yourself to use this program to teach. But it's really great if it's an option for you. This is one of the real winners for us here and I'm NOT looking for another program.:001_smile:

Hi! I know this thread is really really old, but I'm having a hard time picking a French curriculum. I speak French on an intermediate level, haven't since college though. I think I could figure out Alex et Zoe, but the only guide I could find on amazon was $174. Is there any other place to buy these?

Hi! I know this thread is really really old, but I'm having a hard time picking a French curriculum. I speak French on an intermediate level, haven't since college though. I think I could figure out Alex et Zoe, but the only guide I could find on amazon was $174. Is there any other place to buy these?

Have you checked amazon france? Still pricey though, I've ordered once.

I checked Amazon myself and I am not sure what you were looking at but the new edition of the Guide Pedagogique level 1 is from $38.95. That is a great price. I haven't seen the new edition of Alex & Zoe but assuming they didn't mess things up from the first version, I think it's a great program. I am finally on to level 2 of Alex and Zoe, and having done the first level, I am convinced by the method. I do wish there were more to the workbook, because I did have to make up other opportunities for my daughter to write French, but then again she's on the old side for the program. It took us much longer to get through level 1 than I had thought it would---there's just so much more content than I had thought. When I insisted on full competency on every new topic and vocabulary taught before moving on, well, it took a bit longer than expected.

Great program.

I checked Amazon myself and I am not sure what you were looking at but the new edition of the Guide Pedagogique level 1 is from $38.95. That is a great price. I haven't seen the new edition of Alex & Zoe but assuming they didn't mess things up from the first version, I think it's a great program. I am finally on to level 2 of Alex and Zoe, and having done the first level, I am convinced by the method. I do wish there were more to the workbook, because I did have to make up other opportunities for my daughter to write French, but then again she's on the old side for the program. It took us much longer to get through level 1 than I had thought it would---there's just so much more content than I had thought. When I insisted on full competency on every new topic and vocabulary taught before moving on, well, it took a bit longer than expected.

Great program.

I will look again. Thanks!

I like Ecoutez Parlez. It's colorful and has a workbook.That's what I was looking for.

Alex and zoe seems more complicated and not easy to get it here in the US. still looking into it.

:iagree: I speak French as well, and found that Ecoutez Parlez was perfect when my kids were little. We combined it with Le Francais Facile and together they made a great program. Be aware that Le Francais Facile teaches Canadian French...if that makes any difference. I just corrected some of the pronunciation where needed.

Oops sorry, didn't realize this was an old thread!