Menu

What is the optimal ratio of fat/carbs/protien for losing weight ...

and still staying balanced. I don't want to have a low carb or fat free experience. I'm at an online calorie tracking site (411fit) which is administered by UNC University systems. It is recommending 25% fat, 55% carbs and 20% protien. Seems high on the carbs and low on protein to me. What says the all-wise hive?

and still staying balanced. I don't want to have a low carb or fat free experience. I'm at an online calorie tracking site (411fit) which is administered by UNC University systems. It is recommending 25% fat, 55% carbs and 20% protien. Seems high on the carbs and low on protein to me. What says the all-wise hive?

I agree with you. It's probably a little different for everyone, but for me I think a ratio closer to 30/30/30 would be optimal. I have some amount of insulin resistance but tend to have trouble going a lot lower with carbs, so finding my optimal balance can be tricky.

I prefer to believe there are magic numbers, and I'm hoping the hive can tell me what they are~!

I don't think there are magic numbers. The numbers that make me healthy and happy would look insane to most people. I aim for 50 fat/30 protein/20 carbs. It works for me, and I have some health issues that really flare up if the fats go much below that or the carbs much above.

I don't think there are magic numbers. The numbers that make me healthy and happy would look insane to most people. I aim for 50 fat/30 protein/20 carbs. It works for me, and I have some health issues that really flare up if the fats go much below that or the carbs much above.

:iagree:Each body needs different things. I need protein and fat and very few carbs; YMMV. I think one can tell best by how they feel after eating.

We aim for between 50 carb/30 protein/ 20 fat and 45 carb/30 protein/25 fat. The 45% carbs is all high-fiber whole grain, though, and quite a bit of the 25% fat is from healthy oils/nuts/fish. I use FitDay to plan our daily meals and snacks, and it has a nice pie chart that sums it up for the day.

I spent most of yesterday comparing sparkspeople, nutrition data, FitDay, and 411fit. Sparkspeople is too facebooky for my taste. Nutrition Data doesn't track exercise, but has the best breakdown of nutrients. Today I dual recorded my food in 411fit and FitDay. Both have benefits, but FitDay is slightly easier to use and allows me to customize portion size more acurately. I like the pie chart too!

We're just starting P90X here. The first, fat-loss stage recommends:

protein: 50%

carbs: 30%

fat: 20%

Ohhh, just figured out how to multi-quote! This is much more in line with what I thought a dieting profile would look like without being excessively low carb/fat.

:iagree:Each body needs different things. I need protein and fat and very few carbs; YMMV. I think one can tell best by how they feel after eating.

How I feel after eating is happy, what I need to feel is happy while eating less! I've just lost track of how many calories I'm really consuming in my pursuit of happiness....

50%fat 30%protein 20%carbs is optimal for me as well.

How I feel after eating is happy, what I need to feel is happy while eating less! I've just lost track of how many calories I'm really consuming in my pursuit of happiness....

There is no right way.

I am not a high protein/low carb advocate, or a high fat/low carb advocate, when the fats are coming from animal sources.

Some people do well on 30/30/30%.

My issue is that eating a lot of animal sourced foods is not so healthy- I believe- whether they are fats or proteins. So you might lose weight but it won't be healthy. My opinion, at this point, after a lot of research. Lots of evidence to say that a high animal diet is the cause of most western diseases. Some animal is ok though.

If you can eat mostly fruits and vegies, and mostly plant sourced fats and proteins, then its fine to eat higher amounts of fats and proteins.

In fact, in the China Study, he says that office worker Chinese, who are the most likely to have similar exercise levels to most westerners, eat many more calories (on average) than westerners and are still very slim. He suggests that plant based foods are processed differently from animal based foods, and that might well be why they can eat more and stay slim (their diets are mostly plant based).

If you enjoy your foods and arent likely to really stick to a strict restrictive diet in the long term, Weight Watchers new diet system is very doable in the long term and gives you a good feel for the quantities of food that are needed. It shocked me because I was eating healthy but 2X more food than I actually needed. WW teaches how to eat better and healthier and is a sustainable lifestyle that you can individualise, and it is inherently very flexible.

Edited by Peela

Right, I don't think there are magic numbers. So much depends on your "life style". What is your activity level: low aka couch potato, moderate, high, athletic high? Do you enjoy a formal exercise program? Hereditary....look around at your grand/parents, cousins, siblings. Do you drink enough water? Age...as you age your metabolism does change even if it's a tad. Related to that is the big "M". Yes, hormones can make a difference too and don't know where you are in that process. Are you eating too much salt and retaining water? Are you eating raw vegetables?

I've always pictured you as somewhat tall and slender...am I right? Are you being too hard on yourself. OK, I just noticed a thread by bikebookbread and I'm getting you two mixed up....I've pictured her as tall and slender. Maybe you are too, I don't know. I'm not!

OK, enough mothering. :lol: bikebookbread

I'm rather short and there are overweight issues on both sides, but more so with my dad's. Well, I am in big M, have "dieted" and exercised since I married 30 years ago. Now in my early 50's I'm learning I'm getting more of the appropriate activity level and formal exercise. I'm eating less sugar, fried foods and going more raw vegetables and fruits. I've cut waaaaay back on my portions and I drink 1/2 gal of water each day. More in the morning and I cut back as the day advances so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night. I use very little salt b/c I think Americans get too much. And, the list could go on and on.

It boils down to activity/exercise levels and cutting back on food portions.

I started using exercise bands and tubes to tone up. It helps. Toned muscle burns calories 30-40 % more effeciently.

HTH. S <><

Edited by sheryl

Right, I don't think there are magic numbers. So much depends on your "life style". What is your activity level: low aka couch potato, moderate, high, athletic high? Do you enjoy a formal exercise program? Hereditary....look around at your grand/parents, cousins, siblings. Do you drink enough water? Age...as you age your metabolism does change even if it's a tad. Related to that is the big "M". Yes, hormones can make a difference too and don't know where you are in that process. Are you eating too much salt and retaining water? Are you eating raw vegetables?

I've always pictured you as somewhat tall and slender...am I right? Are you being too hard on yourself. OK, I just noticed a thread by bikebookbread and I'm getting you two mixed up....I've pictured her as tall and slender. Maybe you are too, I don't know. I'm not!

OK, enough mothering. :lol: bikebookbread

I'm rather short and there are overweight issues on both sides, but more so with my dad's. Well, I am in big M, have "dieted" and exercised since I married 30 years ago. Now in my early 50's I'm learning I'm getting more of the appropriate activity level and formal exercise. I'm eating less sugar, fried foods and going more raw vegetables and fruits. I've cut waaaaay back on my portions and I drink 1/2 gal of water each day. More in the morning and I cut back as the day advances so I don't have to get up in the middle of the night. I use very little salt b/c I think Americans get too much. And, the list could go on and on.

It boils down to activity/exercise levels and cutting back on food portions.

I started using exercise bands and tubes to tone up. It helps. Toned muscle burns calories 30-40 % more effeciently.

HTH. S <><

Unfortuantely I'm not Bike/book/bread (who I also picture as tall and slender and lovely). I'm medium height and the computer puts my BMI at obese. I've decided that I have reverse body dysmorphia - I think I look better than I actually do :lol:. Always shocked by actual photographs!

So yes, I'm starting to clock the calories and put in a few miles of walking each day. My hormones began their decline about 5 years ago, so I know I have a battle there as well. Hoping to return to healthy weight before the big M puts a screaching halt to my metabolism.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'm beginning to think that finding the right balance of food is just as important as calorie count. Wish the whole thing weren't such a lenghty and imprecise process.

Unfortuantely I'm not Bike/book/bread (who I also picture as tall and slender and lovely). I'm medium height and the computer puts my BMI at obese. I've decided that I have reverse body dysmorphia - I think I look better than I actually do :lol:. Always shocked by actual photographs!

So yes, I'm starting to clock the calories and put in a few miles of walking each day. My hormones began their decline about 5 years ago, so I know I have a battle there as well. Hoping to return to healthy weight before the big M puts a screaching halt to my metabolism.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I'm beginning to think that finding the right balance of food is just as important as calorie count. Wish the whole thing weren't such a lenghty and imprecise process.

Yep. Remember, so much does really depend on hereditary. Not looking for an excuse here, but it really is true. I have some friends who can eat any and all they want and not gain weight. However, even those people should NOT eat any and all b/c of the cholesterol, etc.

You know I forgot to add, which I know you already know, that I eat "browns" and not "whites". Very seldom do I eat white....fries for instance from fast food. I don't do much f.f. anymore b/c of the tempting fries, but the cost. However, when we went to Disney World 2 months ago we ate out at Wendy's quite a bit. I always ordered the "pick 2"....the small salad and a baked potato. I reasoned the white is OK once in a while as the necessary carb. But, I buy and we eat, "grain": break, pasta, rice, cereal, etc.

Just stick with it Kymberly. Change one thing every 2 weeks, i.e.

Drink more water....use a measuring cup and keep track...I do this.

After 2 weeks, cut out the chips (or "your thing") and replace with something else.

One reason people, including me, have gained weight is b/c they deny. True some of us need to cut out something all together whether it's eating too late, too much, etc, but people need to REPLACE it with a good habit.

I am eating more raw vegetables. Now I can't eat JUST the veggies, so I allow myself to dip into a dressing. Some would say it's fattening. Well, if I put 1/2 c dressing on one carrot stick and proceed to eat 10 carrot sticks then yes, that's a problem. Honestly, starting a new good choice of eating raw veggies with dip in moderation...well, the benefits far outweigh (PUN...LOL) the drawback of dressing. I don't even consider a drawback for that very reason.

I've cut waaaaay back on meat. I'd prefer to be vegetarian, but my dh won't. I'll have a very small amount. Beans help as a substitue for meat. Eggs/whites are excellent.

The key I've found is cutting back on portions. I do NOT count calories. I've made common sense changes and try to become more active (standing while h'schooling) and increase my formal exercise program....walking, slight jog and alternate, etc.

It can be overwhelming to make too many changes all at once. Pick one in the activity dept, one in formal exercise, one in food and "add on" every 2 weeks.

HTH! Again, the bands/tubes are helpful. If you start, do yourself a favor and be patient. The older you get the longer it can take. In 3 months you should notice something, like your clothes a bit bigger.

I started this past July. I was faithful with my new routine given to me by my neighbor who is a trainer at the "Y". 3 days a week I use band/tubes in addition to my increased activity and exercise. Well, that was July, August, Sept, Oct (can't remeber if I started July 1 or Aug 1...but it would only be off by 1 month), and then we went to DW. When I returned home my clothes were a bit bigger and 3 people said, wow, you've lost some weight. It.just.takes.time.AND.CONSISTENCY.

Whatever your weakness is, have a "buddy" help you. So, yes, enjoy that desert, but know when to stop and that "buddy" (dh, dc, friend) can help you stay on track with your personal accountability. You should NOT completely deny yourself, but know when to stop.

Too chatty...sorry.