Menu

Kids homemade business?

Do any of you have a small business for your children making homemade items? Right off the first thing that has come to my mind is for them to make lip balm, crochet scarves, simple sewing projects with natural fabric. Anyone have experience with this? Where do you get supplies? How do you have the kids to market their items? Any ideas?? Thanks!

The winter issue of Kiki Magazine has a 2 page article on getting started using Etsy.com for selling art/crafts. Not a whole lotta info (I think I could've written the article myself, and I don't even sell on Etsy), but it might be inspiring for kids to read it and know that other kids are doing stuff like that. I find Kiki at places like Barnes and Noble, or at JoAnn's.

I don't think he did it very long, but it was pretty neat.

He sent sample treats to our homeschool moms support group (about 85 moms). Included with the samples was a survey he had designed. It asked questions about the kind of treats your dog would like, prices you would be willing to pay, quantities of treats in packages, types of packaging, etc. He had self-addressed, stamped envelops for returning the surveys. I don't know how much success he had, but I am sure he learned quite a bit from the "market research" he conducted.

ETA: These were for homemade dog treats that he made himself.

Ds13 had a baking business for 6 years (from age 8 to 13). He just gave his business to dd9. She now bakes quickbreads - zucchini, pumpkin and banana breads, with or without nuts, chocolate chips optional. Ds started his business by having a zucchini bread stand at the end of the driveway. After 30 min. he had sold out and our phone was ringing with orders. For the last year, his business had dried up to one client who had a monthly standing order. Dd9 is advertising aggressively by handing out her business cards to all our neighbors and by adding her business information to our Christmas "newspaper". Business looks like it's going to pick up for her.

Ds13 now has a business selling refurbished computers on E-bay.