Menu

Homeschool Tracker vs Homeschool Tracker Plus...

persephone43

I use homeschool tracker plus and feel as though I could not effectively homeschool without it. It allows me to schedule based on the loop method without much work on my part.

I'm sorry that I can't answer your questions about if plus is worth it over the regular version as I don't know the differences.

I would suggest starting with the free version and if it turns out that you need more, then you can upgrade.

Yes!! There's really no comparison. HST+ is so much more powerful. I love the lesson planner for planning out the whole school year and the weekly planner, which allows you to specify which days you will use a resource and then just plugs in the next thing for you when you plan for the week.

Yes!

I was just telling my dh this week that I'm so glad we bought the plus version in 2005. I've used it for basic recordkeeping and scheduling since then, but now that high school is only a few years away I'm familiarizing myself with all the other cool features (courses, grading, etc). The free updates for life and customer support are well worth the money spent.

It has been so long since I used the Basic version that I don't really remember. But the difference is like going from Windows 3.1 to Vista (or whatever the current OS is). It is not like they are the same program with some features turned of in the Basic version. They appear to be completely different programs.

HST+ is one of the best investments I have made for homeschooling. While it has a steep learning curve, it is a powerful program. Well worth the $50.

:iagree: I spent Thanksgiving weekend pouring through video tutorials, reading the user manual and playing with the program, reading the forums for specific questions I had. I now have *everything* planned out for the next semester+. Every curriculum I'm using has a lesson plan in HST+, and all I have to do when I get ready for a new week of school is go in and assign items from the lesson plan (select the ones I want to assign and click the Submit button). It will automatically put each subject on the proper day (like history is MWF, science is TT, WWE is MTWT, etc.). I have every library book I will need put into it, with which library has it and what the call number is, so when it comes time to go to the library, I just print out a list of the library books I need for the week - all the info is there on my printout, so no searching the card catalog on library day (the bigger library system has an awful online system). I also put in the supplies I need for each assignment (experiments and projects) and can print out a list of those too.

Looking at the features of the Basic vs. Plus version, I didn't even bother trying the Basic. They are completely different programs. I do recommend trying Skedtrack, since it's free and pretty decent, but it didn't do some of the things I wanted to do, and Plus did. I've been *very* happy with HST+, and it's very easy to use once you get past the steep learning curve. Really, the hard part was figuring out what system to use for organizing my courses and lesson plans and such. Once I got that worked out, the actual entry of the lesson plans was super easy, thanks to the copy feature, multiple edit feature, and grouping feature (I use grouping a LOT).

Watch the videos and download the user manual to your hard drive so you can look through it.