Menu

Recommendations for Beginning French or Italian

RainbowSprinkles

For French, I really like L'Art de Dire, and am doing it with my 4.5 year old. She had minimal exposure to the language before starting the program and is really enjoying it. It may be a little young for the 8 year old, I'm not sure when the switch to the older program, L'Art de Lire, is.

(Just one small note: Expect for shipping to take a LONG time. It took me close to 2 months to recieve the program, and I called the company 3 times with no answer and no response. -sigh-)

For French, I really like L'Art de Dire, and am doing it with my 4.5 year old. She had minimal exposure to the language before starting the program and is really enjoying it. It may be a little young for the 8 year old, I'm not sure when the switch to the older program, L'Art de Lire, is.

I believe the Nallenart website says it can be used anytime from Grade 3 through 8, but you might prefer to start them both off on L'art de Dire together for ease of teaching.

(Just one small note: Expect for shipping to take a LONG time. It took me close to 2 months to recieve the program, and I called the company 3 times with no answer and no response. -sigh-)

:iagree: took them ages to ship to me, too, although I'd assumed it was to do with the package getting to me in UK. It's a good program though, I recommend it.

We like L'Art de Lire, too. I don't think it took 2 months to get our order, but it does get hung up in customs, so it takes a few weeks for sure. I've found the owner to be very helpful and responsive, though, and she gave us access to online files while we were waiting for our materials to arrive.

PowerGlide is good, too. It's more like a Rosetta Stone for young kids. It's very helpful for people like me who have difficulty with French pronunciation. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter prefers the computer versions (Power Glide or Hooked on French) over the work books (L'Art de Lire).

ETA: Sorry - that should be PowerSpeak. PowerGlide is cd's only.

http://www.powerspeak.com/French%20Elementary%20School%20Year%201.html

Edited by meet me in paris

We like L'Art de Lire, too. I don't think it took 2 months to get our order, but it does get hung up in customs, so it takes a few weeks for sure. I've found the owner to be very helpful and responsive, though, and she gave us access to online files while we were waiting for our materials to arrive.

PowerGlide is good, too. It's more like a Rosetta Stone for young kids. It's very helpful for people like me who have difficulty with French pronunciation. :tongue_smilie:

My daughter prefers the computer versions (Power Glide or Hooked on French) over the work books (L'Art de Lire).

ETA: Sorry - that should be PowerSpeak. PowerGlide is cd's only.

http://www.powerspeak.com/French%20Elementary%20School%20Year%201.html

Thank you! How do you like Hooked on French?

I just started Nallenart and like it so far. I bought the downloadable version, but had trouble printing the flashcards (some pictures were blacked out). I contacted the company, but no one got back to me. I was able to access the downloaded version as soon as I bought it though.

Thank you! How do you like Hooked on French?

My daughter LOVED Hooked on French, but we lost our only Windows computer recently and it won't run on our Macs. It's really fun - no written work but it does have readers and flash cards to go with it, so there is a bit of review to go with the computer program. I would definitely recommend it for 8 and under.