Menu

DS5 has trouble with logic

trying my best

he has awesome vocabulary and not behind speech wise. He is doing 1st grade level. But i noticed when it comes to making sentences or just answering question WHY he doesn't think logically.

For example the book we were reading was about TASTE.... he read the book and answered all the questions right. Then there is a question"why one person might like sweet apples and another person might like sour apples?"

DS5: because one really taste sour and another is sweet.

ME: How come I like sour apples and you like sweet apples?

DS5: because you are bigger and i am littler.

AGHHHHH!!! Its always like that. When it comes to logic he acts like he knows. He is so eager to answer but his answers never proof anything.. :ack2:

Makes sense to me. Kids always like sweet things, and adults often choose foods that aren't sweet.

I wouldn't worry about it. When my daughter was five, she couldn't even put a sentence together (she was a late talker). She's 13 now and quite intelligent. The talking part just took her longer. The logic part might take your boy longer.

Edited by Rebecca VA

That's perfectly normal developmentally. I remember a story SWB told about her son when he was 5 or 6 and she tried doing some critical thinking exercises with him and he was confused by the questions, or took them very literally. I think it's on the The Joy of Classical Ed MP3 at her PHP website. I highly recommend it!

I agree it's not unusual for a 5 year old. Though my 9yo has similar issues, and I don't know why and can't figure out how to address it.

:iagree: about 5 year olds and re: 9 year olds :glare:. I think my 9 yo's brain took a parentally unauthorized leave of absence. If you figure this out, share your secret with the rest of us, please.

Its weird sometimes to see how well he reads, how he comprehends math and writing, And then he opens his mouth and baby jiberish come out... aghhhh!

Welcome to the club! It only gets worse as they get older...My oldest can go from reading Jules Verne one moment to needing to be rescued because she locked herself inside the baby's crib tent the next :tongue_smilie:

Thank you guys!

Its weird sometimes to see how well he reads, how he comprehends math and writing, And then he opens his mouth and baby jiberish come out... aghhhh!

That's 'cause he is sort of a baby.

Don't ask kids 'why' until they start noticing inconsistencies in Scooby Doo.

Really, 5 year olds still have magical thinking. They make connections based on what little info they have. Enjoy it while it lasts. Pretty soon they are kindly pointing out all of YOUR inconsistencies and hypocracies. Not that you have any, of course.

Yeah, you know, he's FIVE.

The other day, we were eating fresh sliced pineapple for a snack. My 10 y/o daughter commented that she just eats the seeds if she comes across any.

I joked that a pineapple tree would grow in her stomach.

She knew, of course, that this couldn't happen.

But my just turned 5 y/o son was sitting there, too, and I wasn't so sure that HE knew this couldn't happen. So I said to him, "Can a pineapple tree really grow in your stomach, Ben?"

He said, "No."

Oh, smart kid, I thought. He's not that easily fooled! "Why not?" I asked him, wanting to hear the logic behind it. Would he mention the sun? He probably wouldn't think about the soil...

He interrupted my thought process with:

"Because I don't eat the seeds."

:lol:

How's that for five year old logic? :P

One good thing about it: My lovely MIL is the sort of person who feels the need to quiz her homeschooled grandkids to 'make sure you are learning enough" Only thing is that she's not so good with kids (her own will tell you) and she was always asking questions like the seeds in the stomach question and getting answers that a 5 year old gives. There was nothing she could say, really. I loved it because she was always just dying to say Gotcha (to a five year old) and my eldest would just give these perfectly (un)sound answers. She would realize she hadn't given any qualifiers or assumed too much etc.

She stopped after doing it after it happened a couple times in front of the whole family. I think a few too many "out of the mouthes of babes" moments for her taste. My younger son seems to have escaped...maybe.

Five year olds are supposed to act like they know it all, based on things they've completely made up by pulling random thoughts from the air. That's part of the magic of being five! Honestly, my daughter was extremely logical at five and I spent a lot of time trying to foster the imaginative bits and ignore the logic stuff. There's lots of time for critical thinking. Making up new worlds every time you open your mouth... that's pretty special stuff that shouldn't be rushed through. :D

Yeah, you know, he's FIVE.

The other day, we were eating fresh sliced pineapple for a snack. My 10 y/o daughter commented that she just eats the seeds if she comes across any.

I joked that a pineapple tree would grow in her stomach.

She knew, of course, that this couldn't happen.

But my just turned 5 y/o son was sitting there, too, and I wasn't so sure that HE knew this couldn't happen. So I said to him, "Can a pineapple tree really grow in your stomach, Ben?"

He said, "No."

Oh, smart kid, I thought. He's not that easily fooled! "Why not?" I asked him, wanting to hear the logic behind it. Would he mention the sun? He probably wouldn't think about the soil...

He interrupted my thought process with:

"Because I don't eat the seeds."

:lol:

How's that for five year old logic? :P

:lol:Now, THAT is one smart 5yo!

Sometimes mine come up with really good thoughts out of thin air, but if I try to pull it out of them they give me what they think I want to hear...

If I really want to know how my 5yo is processing the world, I eaves drop in on her imaginative play.

Five year olds are supposed to act like they know it all, based on things they've completely made up by pulling random thoughts from the air. That's part of the magic of being five! Honestly, my daughter was extremely logical at five and I spent a lot of time trying to foster the imaginative bits and ignore the logic stuff. There's lots of time for critical thinking. Making up new worlds every time you open your mouth... that's pretty special stuff that shouldn't be rushed through. :D

OMG THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!

i also have 5 year old neighbor girl and she sounds like you described your DD - very mature logic-thinking-wise. She is like older child wrapped in the 5 year old body. Of course she is not doing any math or reading. But she is a very mature thinker.

And I assumed that my boy so well advanced in other things should be at least thinking like her. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POITNING OUT about

"Five year olds are supposed to act like they know it all, based on things they've completely made up by pulling random thoughts from the air."

That is EXACTLY my DS5 - EXACTLY!!

I am guessing also that his thoughts are working much faster than his mouth can speak lol

When my kid was 6... we were told he needed to work on his "strategy" skills (for chess). There were lots of times he could have beaten his friend at chess, and he didn't seize the opportunity -- that meant he was somehow "deficient." Of course, his friend never lost a game... as soon as he saw he was going to lose, he'd knock over the board.:glare:

FF, he is now 11 and can beat his 18yo cousin at chess.

Give your son time. My 4yo doesn't think "logically" in my opinion, either. Only blond people are her "friends" (of course, 2 sisters, one brother and her father and I have brown hair). She doesn't like raisins in her cinnamon bread today... but I need to "save it for later, because she might like it tomorrow." If some water is used to clean the floor... then dumping a bucket on it will make the floor even more clean!

Young children have their own Amelia Bedelia like logic. :D