Menu

Vegans: What's on your Christmas menu?

We will be serving spiral-sliced ham for the children. The adults (vegans) will be having butternut or sweet potato-based soup with some crusty rolls and a spinach salad. I will probably make some roasted red pepper hummus and serve with cut up veggies.

As a vegan, I'm just happy to have some meatless alternatives offered to me.

I sure your brother will appreciate anything you make.

Have a great holiday!

K

We'll have some walnut (I think it is) patties with homemade gravy. I make the gravy with some oil, flour and brewer's yeast flakes. We'll have mashed potatoes, using soy milk, a fresh salad (lettuce, celery, tomatoes, cucumber), some steamed corn, and whole wheat rolls.

Some of the pre-made veggie meats have MSG in them, so I make sure not to get those!

Not much *sigh*

Usually I love Christmas cooking, but not enough people are showing up to make a big spread feasible this year. Our box of veggies gets delivered Christmas Eve, so we'll have a stirfry to use up those sorts of veggies before they go off (we don't use the fridge.) I might go "all out" and get some tempeh because we haven't had any for ages. For breakfast we'll have beans and cornbread. I'm not sure for the rest of Christmas Day and we'll have bread, dip and veggies or something to take to the park with dh's parents on Boxing Day.

Of course, we'll have my Very Non Vegan Batik cake :D

Rosie

I made a vegan Christmas lunch on Saturday- nut loaf with gravy (vegan), and baked vegetables, and spinach salad. I am sure you are aware that a strict vegan cant eat baked vegies that are sitting in meat juices.

The gravy for this nut loaf is the best gravy I have ever tasted and I will make it again. It took about 45 minutes to make (browning onions etc) but it was soooo worth it.

http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/9264/nut-roast-loaf.aspx

Okay' date=' I'll have what she's having! :D Sounds awesome. Got a link?[/quote']

:) I watched that movie just the other day. lol Here you go!

Black Bean & Butternut Squash Chili (Vegan Planet)

1 tbsp olive oil

1 medium yellow onion, chopped

1 garlic clove, minced

1 jalapeno, seeded and minced

14.5 oz can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped

1 c water

1 c apple juice

1/4 c tomato paste

2 tbsp chili powder

1 tsp salt

1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch dice

3 c cooked (or 30 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed

1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Cover and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, apple juice, tomato paste, chili powder, salt, and squash. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer until the squash is tender, about 30 minutes.

2. Add the beans, then taste and adjust the seasonings. Simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes to blend the flavors.

I don't add much or any apple juice, and I like to chop up a bunch of cilantro to top it off. (Cilantro tastes like soap to some, but I really love it)

Edited by LibraryLover

If you are looking for traditional we love the tofurkey roast made in the crockpot. Just don't cook it in the soy sauce baste or it is too salty. Just use veggie or mushroom stock in the bottom to keep it moist. It turns out really well in there. I make my own gravy for it because I'm a gravy master.

Stuffed squash are really pretty, too. I have done quinoa or bread stuffing before.

I would make all the side vegan. It's pretty easy. Then some kind of main dish that others could enjoy, too. Without fail people always end up eating the main dish I make. And, I have a bunch if family members who woukd rather eat the Vegan versions now that they have seen how it has improved their health problems.