Menu

Help me decide, how DO you decide? (Job offers)

I need help making a decision about a job opportunity. My husband works for a large nonprofit environmental org. He is very dedicated, works long hours, travels a lot. He was offered another job with a for-profit company. The new job is related to the environmental work. The new job pays about 30% more with potential for large bonuses (up to 40% salary), share in the company, and would permit him to telecommute (so we would not have to move if we don't want to). The old job countered with a promotion and more responsibilites but also more leadership.

The new job has much more volatility, he knows a lot less about it, it has less longterm stability (but if they get bought out, could be very profitable because he would own a share). The old job has stability, but with the promotion a lot more will be expected of him.

He also has several other potential positions being offered to him, so I sort of think that if the new job doesn't pan out, he will have these other options waiting on the horizon. Apparently, he is in a good niche and very well respected in his field of work.

One has more risk, but the potential for a lot of new doors opening and potential for a lot more money (which will help for college!). Both of us went into the environmental career fields, it isnt like we are gold-diggers, never expected to strike it rich. But of course it is appealing with 3 children to educate and care for.

The other has more longterm stability, but not sure we want to stay in the longterm anyway.

How do you make these sorts of decisions?

Any thoughts? Considerations? Answers?

I recently watched a friends company get bought out. He thought he had a lot of money coming, because of his stock options. The company that bought him went under very quickly and was obsorbed by another company. He didn't end up with the money he thought he would :glare:

That said...it would depend on how the good the present company had treated dh. He can be very loyal.

On the other hand the thought of telecommuting would be tempting :D.

You presented a toughie!!!

The other has more longterm stability, but not sure we want to stay in the longterm anyway.

I don't know your answer, but this is what stuck out for me after reading your post.

When you're faced with two (or more!) good choices, at some point you just have to pick one, commit to that decision and follow it through. As your husband is well-respected in the field, it sounds as though you really can't go horribly wrong no matter what you decide.

Good luck making the decision together. :) I hope you'll let us know what you decide to do!

Cat

Both posts so far are helpful, thank you. Interesting about the buy-out not working out very well. I am glad to know that is doesn't always work out the way they predict.

We are OK with leaving the area because of all the gas-drilling and fracking surrounding us; it is only going to get much, much worse. But, we also adore our Church family and while we know we would adjust elsewhere, it hurts to say goodbye.

He has worked for the 'old' employer for 7 years. He is a very dedicated and loyal employee. And while he has been underpaid there, he has made it clear that that is not going to work anymore and the employer was willing to give him a large promotion and raise to keep him. Overall, he likes his work though it is demanding and will get more so since the promotion involves supervising a lot more people and heading up 3 of their main programs. However, with the promotion comes the need to move to their main office, about 1.5 hours away. So even if he keeps with the current employer, we will be moving in the next 6 months or so.

New employer originally wanted us to move to Philly area, but when he declined because we didn't want to go to Philly, they offered the option to telecommute.

Mary, those are huge questions and some of my biggest concerns. With the old employer, I imagine it will be even more hours to get the job done well. With the new employer, we are told by others who work there that they work about a 7 hour day. But they told him, as long as you get the job done, that is your business. So I feel like it is vague. ANd there are only about 5 people in this new company, so there is not a lot of homework we can do to find out what it will REALLY be like. We don't know if they are telling us all sorts of sweet things to get us there, or if these things are truly the way it will be.

ETA:

I think the stress with the new job would be less, except for the stress of it not being dependable in the longterm. That alone might be stressful? With his current job, we know they respect him and it is such a huge org, we know they arent going anywhere. He will have a job as long as he wants it there.

Honestly, I would go with stability in this economy. He would be starting over in a not so stable environment with the new position. Telecommuting in a homeschooling house is very challenging unless you have a huge house. It's easy for everyone to get distracted. We don't have a huge house and both my husband and I found it challenging when we had to do it for a while.

Well, just to chime in I would have to say that my experience is that stability is an illusion in the current economy. It just is. I think he should do what he wants to do, and take his chances.

My dh took a job for security five years ago and it was eliminated a year later, even though the company he worked for said they would NEVER cut research, they did cut FIVE labs completely, and he lost his job.

The year that he did the stable job was the most frustrating of his career, and we weren't at all sorry when he lost it, but it has been very hard on our family to get used to a much lower income.

If he had stayed on the career path that he left for stability he would be in six figure a year job with great benifits, instead we have two children getting ready for college and crummy benifits and no money saved for their college.

Congratulations to your husband! This must all be quite a boost to him. How wonderful that he is so in demand.

I have nothing to add with respect to the stability vs risk tradeoff, but I just wanted to make two points:

(1) Loyalty to a large employer is, IMobviouslypersonalO, an overrated quality. Professionalism & responsibility, absolutely. But it is first and last a business relationship, and IME employers -- even the truly wonderful ones -- never forget that. You don't want to forget that, either.

(2) It's not 'golddigging' to take a job that pays more money. This may not be the job for him, quite possibly the money isn't worth the risk, etc. And heaven knows that money isn't everything, not even close. But money is really nice, and there is nothing at all wrong with switching jobs to make more money. Even for treehuggers :001_smile:

Well, just to chime in I would have to say that my experience is that stability is an illusion in the current economy. It just is. I think he should do what he wants to do, and take his chances.

:iagree:

My dh and I took a high risk but hi return job in 2007. We ended up doing very well. They are now laying off people at our previous place of employment and we would be further behind had we stayed there.

You really have to weigh the risks and the potential benefits.