Menu

SOTW/Creation

I'm super new to all of this and I am really ready to buy/use SOTW next year for my then-first grader. I am concerned that creation is not covered in the book ...just jumps to nomadic people. This is my only hangup about this program. What are your suggestions? I know Mystery of History starts at creation, but the text seems dry and not as "fun" as SOTW. I looked at TOG, but I'm a bit intimidated. Thoughts?Thanks!

Just do a short unit on creation before starting SOTW. I used Biblioplan which does start at creation. You could just as easily read the early chapters of Genesis. In our house, I'm not comfortable putting a date on creation, but I know that it's at the beginning! Our timeline begins with creation, then the Fall and I think I have Noah and the Tower of Babel all with no dates. Then I have a break in the timeline to represent an unknown number of years before starting up at 5000 B.C. where SOTW begins. It works for us.

If you want more Bible history than SOTW includes, you might look into Biblioplan which in addition to starting at creation also does 7 weeks on the Nation of Israel. It schedules all of SOTW, but does it in a different order (better order in my mind), staying with one culture before moving to the next.

In SOTW, Bible history picks up at Abraham. So, you just need to read a children's Bible until you get to Abraham and then start SOTW. You can also add in other important Bible events as you get to them. It would be interesting to do a thorough old testament study integrated into SOTW, but I think it would take longer than 1 year. You could also study Old Testament history at the same time as SOTW. Just read through a children's Bible as part of your read-alouds.

Paula

You could also study Old Testament history at the same time as SOTW. Just read through a children's Bible as part of your read-alouds.

This is what we did. I ended up buying the Greenleaf Guide to OT History and we did this part as Bible. I then used a Bible that had a GREAT timeline in the front for the timeline portion of our studies. I felt this worked out great and was just what I wanted. What the Greenleaf Guide is, is just the OT cut up for you in daily readings and then there are some comprehension questions to go along. I think that picking up the Bible and reading it in sizeable chunks would work out just fine and then you could just have your kids narrate back to you what you read. We did this parallel to SOTW1 and, like another poster said, SOTW does cover some of Bible history. Our Bible readings ended up merging with SOTW at one point. You could also include historical fiction such as Tirzah , Hittite Warrior and God King to enhance your beginning studies. These would be read alouds for a 1st grader, independent reading for 3rd/4th and up. Also, Homeschool in the Woods has a great OT lapbook that you could start your year off with, or do it as you progress through your Bible readings. I feel that you really can incorporate Bible with SOTW quite easily. HTH!

I'm super new to all of this and I am really ready to buy/use SOTW next year for my then-first grader. I am concerned that creation is not covered in the book.
As a secular homeschooler this also is one of my pet peeves about the book, because it carefully refers to these nomads as "the first peoples." This makes the timeline amenable to a young earth view. I'm not sure I understand your problem, will you not be covering Biblical creation elsewhere?

We used the Old Testament pack from http://www.timelinesetc.com/ It starts in the Garden of Eden I think and moves on from there.

We did a timeline on a hall wall with Biblical stuff on the top of the time line, and ancient history not in the Bible on the bottom of the line. Timelines, etc. has the figures to put on the timelines.

It was a fascinating study, my dc and I LOVED it! the stuff is fairly inexpensive as well, which is nice!

In SOTW, Bible history picks up at Abraham. So, you just need to read a children's Bible until you get to Abraham and then start SOTW. You can also add in other important Bible events as you get to them. It would be interesting to do a thorough old testament study integrated into SOTW, but I think it would take longer than 1 year. You could also study Old Testament history at the same time as SOTW. Just read through a children's Bible as part of your read-alouds.

Paula

Paula's right, most of the programs (including MOH and Veritas) just spend the whole first month or two on the OT. Have you looked into buying the VP OT/AE cards to go along with SOTW? That might be a good help. Or even purchasing "The Victor Journey Through the Bible." We love this book and you could read a page/section a day until you get to Abraham.

Blessings!

You might want to consider Story of the Ancient World: http://www.nothingnewpress.com/guerber/ancient.html

It was great read aloud for our family and a good spine for ancient history with a Biblical emphasis.

You could always cover creation before beginning SOTW, but we have used and loved The Story of the Ancient World as our history spine this year too.

Paula

My plan is to do the above, but to follow Paula's Archives for SOTW I, CHOW and Vos Story Bible.

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/chowsotw.htm

Just do a short unit on creation before starting SOTW. I used Biblioplan which does start at creation. You could just as easily read the early chapters of Genesis.

I did the exact same thing. I stop before Abraham. I read Job. Then I read Story of the World. I want to tell you that I have a Chronological Bible. So, I cheat a little.:D It helps me to figure out when the events happened during my readings. :seeya: See ya' Hope you have good good time. La Dum! Hope you have a good good morning. Hope to get to see you again!

Blessing on your homeschooling journey.

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Well, I just really don't see this as an issue, because if you are a Christian, you are hopefully already teaching your children about creation from a Christian standpoint. I personally am glad that it starts where it does because our boys have heard it so much that it's nice to dive right into what they don't already know about.

My husband reads aloud Catherine Vos' The Child's Story Bible

http://www.amazon.com/Childs-Story-Bible-Catherine-Vos/dp/0802850111/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1209264318&sr=8-1

which is a great Christian supplement to a history text.

I also appreciate history textbooks that don't go into creationism and first man because they can then be used by a greater variety of people. When I buy a book (like Usborne) and the first several pages are devoted to prehistoric man, I feel like that portion is a waste of my money.

I know my child, and I know he will be asking "well, mom, if all of history is supposed to be in this book, then were are Adam and Eve?" type stuff. I don't want him to get the impression that I'm just "making it all up" KWIM? I guess I'm being oversensitive to it, I just want to find the best solution. (Don't we all!!!!:tongue_smilie:)

I know my child, and I know he will be asking "well, mom, if all of history is supposed to be in this book, then were are Adam and Eve?" type stuff. I don't want him to get the impression that I'm just "making it all up" KWIM? I guess I'm being oversensitive to it, I just want to find the best solution. (Don't we all!!!!:tongue_smilie:)

IM(ns)HO, if this is the kind of question your son will be asking, you might really want to consider MOH. (Or at least a combo of MOH and SOTW.) Have you read any of MOH? Your original comment about the text being 'dry' surprised me - we've been using it for 3 months and I REALLY don't feel that way about it! My 9yo ds is laughing out loud during most lessons, and they are extremely easy for him to narrate (even with a dx'd language processing disorder).

Also, a consideration - Christian Liberty Press puts out a few chronological Bible study books for a low cost that you might consider using in addition to SOTW. (We're using them in addition to our MOH as our Bible curriculum.) Books E and F cover the Old Testament, G covers the gospels, and H covers Acts.

We have been using MOH/SOTW 1 together for a good month now. It's been our best shot at History yet. My 11 year old is much happier with it. My 11 year old only has to read MOH and my 8 year old only has to do SOTW. It's been nice that way. They both get similar time periods and no one is really bored. I like getting two different view points on a time period/lesson, too.

I thought it would add too much with MOH, but it's working well.

I look over the next couple of lessons to see if any match up, so we can do those close together.