Menu

Handmade Christmas gift update!

I've just finished dh's quilt and Ibbygirl wanted pics! I've been wanting to see pics of everyone else's progress for weeks, but was too ashamed to ask for them until I'd at least finished one of my projects ;) So now I can ask! Please post so we can all ooh and ahhh :)

Rosie

I've just finished dh's quilt and Ibbygirl wanted pics! I've been wanting to see pics of everyone else's progress for weeks, but was too ashamed to ask for them until I'd at least finished one of my projects ;) So now I can ask! Please post so we can all ooh and ahhh :)

Rosie

ASTROBOY!! :hurray: What an awesome quilt. But now everyone here is going to know I'm a tyrant after all of my hard work trying to fool them into into believing I'm nice! ;) :) hehe

That quilt is AWESOME! Pilch is gonna love it. Where in the world did you find so many jeans pockets?? :001_huh:

I've been stashing away old pairs of jeans for years, so that's where the pockets come from. There's zips too, lol. He doesn't know about the Astro boy. That was off an old shirt of his that wore out to the point where even he wasn't willing to wear it any more :tongue_smilie: and I saved Astro boy. How could you throw out Astro boy? It's a hologram thingi, so it's never going to wear out. It'll probably become a family heirloom and get passed down from quilt to quilt as old ones wear out, heheh.

Now where are other people's pics? This isn't supposed to be all about me. I'll get big headed or something.

:)

Rosie

I've been stashing away old pairs of jeans for years, so that's where the pockets come from. There's zips too, lol. He doesn't know about the Astro boy. That was off an old shirt of his that wore out to the point where even he wasn't willing to wear it any more :tongue_smilie: and I saved Astro boy. How could you throw out Astro boy? It's a hologram thingi, so it's never going to wear out. It'll probably become a family heirloom and get passed down from quilt to quilt as old ones wear out, heheh.

Now where are other people's pics? This isn't supposed to be all about me. I'll get big headed or something.

Rosie

LOL An heirloom Astro boy! lol Love it! :)

but my first t-shirt quilt.

So how do you do that? I've heard of people doing that before, but I can't imagine how you deal with the stretchy fabric. The stretchier bits of denim were annoying enough. Do you sew it onto a backing piece? I think that'd work. I didn't realise that's how people make crazy quilts until after I'd almost finished this quilt :lol:

Rosie- who has dreams of taking a class to learn how to do those stained glass style quilts. Ahh, so much to learn before I get to that point...

So how do you do that? I've heard of people doing that before, but I can't imagine how you deal with the stretchy fabric. The stretchier bits of denim were annoying enough. Do you sew it onto a backing piece? I think that'd work. I didn't realise that's how people make crazy quilts until after I'd almost finished this quilt :lol:

Rosie- who has dreams of taking a class to learn how to do those stained glass style quilts. Ahh, so much to learn before I get to that point...

A stained glass quilt sounds amazing. Did you use a machine for Pilch's quilt or do it all by hand? I hope you used a machine with all that denim! :eek:

A stained glass quilt sounds amazing.

Did you ever see one? Results from a google search: http://www.google.com/images?oe=UTF-8&gfns=1&q=stained+glass+quilt&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=VfAFTe6gD4-yrAfLnPCQDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQsAQwAA&biw=1280&bih=801

Did you use a machine for Pilch's quilt or do it all by hand? I hope you used a machine with all that denim! :eek:

:eek: indeed! You bet I used the machine! I sewed all the badges by hand though.

No. I had never even heard of it before. Those are unbelievably gorgeous! Wow! Things like this really make me feel intimidated and inferior. I have absolutely NO artsy or craftsy ablilities at all. I'm so envious of people who can make such amazing pieces of art as this. Truly stunning!!

:eek: indeed! You bet I used the machine! I sewed all the badges by hand though.

Oh your poor finger. I hope you have a good thimble at least. :grouphug:

I'm obsessing about this now. :tongue_smilie:I could be completely wrong here, but it seems like the only thing that makes these any different is that there is a thin strip of dark cloth inbetween each piece. if you cut out the pieces, then sewed on the strips, then sewed them together that way, that would be it as far as construction. Other than that, fabric selection would be very important, but that's not a matter of skill (well, it IS, but not in the same way). If you wanted a more complext pattern, then of course it would be harder, but it would be hard even if it were a REGULAR quilt. What do you think?

ETA: Why are you doing this to me?? LOL http://www.straw.com/equilters/library/quilts/stainedglass-quilts.html

Edited by RaeAnne

Why are you doing this to me? !! Don't you know what a list of projects I have to do?

:svengo:

:D

I made these for my best friend's kids (almost 4yr old girl and almost 2yr old boy).

They are cute. I think my dd would like those once she grows out of that phase where red is the only colour worth using :tongue_smilie:

Your quilt so wonderful!

I'm finished with the three dolls for my daughters. .

Ooh! I hope mine turn as as well!

I just want to say that DH's grandma made him a denim pocket quilt years ago, and it is my FAVORITE to cover up with. I love that it's heavy and WARM!

Oh boy, is it heavy. I used a woolen blanket for the batting and it was so heavy, coming out of the washing machine, I nearly needed dh to come and help me hang it on the line!

Oh my goodness. I am not going to look at that stained glass fabric again. I know how much I'd love to keep a bolt of that in my cupboard :001_huh::lol:

Rosie

Rosie your quilt is AMAZING!! You did a fantastic job.

Calico those dolls are adorable. I would want to keep one too.

Kristin was the crayon wrap hard, I was thinking of making a few for the boys I watch once in a while. Yours came out really nice.

I love the way the stained glass quilts look, I might have to put one on my project list. I agree, quit with the links. :001_smile:

Normally I have a very strained at best relationship with my mother but since she is living in FL it has been much better. This year I made her a quilt. I have the top finished but not sure I will get the actual quilting done in time but here's hoping.

post-1063-13535084241022_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

We were visiting last weekend, and my neices had some show on, one of the kid channels, something like Sorry Charlie or something like that. But they were in their basement or family room and I realized the carpet was made out of a bunch of pairs of jeans. They were all fastened together somehow into an area rug. It looked really neat with all the different shades of denium. I would have LOVED that in my room in high school!