Menu

How do you find the time to pre-read lit books

specially if you have many children? I want to have discussions about the books we are reading and I really would like to read the R level books next year just for MY education ( Thanks to Janice's great post!), but I am trying to figure out how I am going to manage this.

How about Cliff Notes? Or Sparknotes? Or pinkmonkey.com? It's better than nothing!

I have to admit that I have not pre-read a single one of my dc's high school literature books. I got started on the Year 1 books last.... spring? summer?... ? and got about halfway through the year. Maybe I can finish Year 1 this summer (and think, just three years left after that!).

...that my dh got me. I download books that she is going to read and I "try" to read them ahead of her. So far, is not working, she reads faster than me, does not cook, do our laundry (but hers), she got to read....like when "I" was in school.

I had read couple, I mean finished them and I have like 5 started that must finished. At least I have the freedom to read while doing laundry, cooking, at the chair, sofa, anywhere but stationary at the computer.

The books I cannot find on line, I use hers or buy another copy to read along with her...at least I try. We enjoy discussing what we read.

HTH

It is a challenge! I teach a lit class and forced myself to read every book, every page! I even reread the books I had only read months earlier to check for "appropriateness." I also want to get a feel for the year. Will it be too light, depressing, funny, difficult. Luckily, I like to read and read fast. But, these are not generally books I would voluntarily choose to read on my summer break. Oh well. Its a season. Plus, I won't have to do this work when I teach the books a second time because I'll already know what book lists I want to use.

I am kind of goaded on by the fact that other moms are waiting to purchase the books that I am trying to read and then make a decision about. So, there is a little outside (although self-inflicted) guilt in the process.

Holly

I spend my summers reading--and we do not do any more school than absolutely necessary!

My ds will have to finish a couple of his classes that he is behind in this summer, but otherwise, school ends in June so that I can get ready for the fall.

But then you specified a larger family than I have--but I have been running the house, the farm Mon-Fri, the kids, and the homeschooling for the last 2 years. LOL!

J

I'm not there and I don't have so many children. But, personally I would just pick the ones I was really interested in and read those. Your children just have so much more time than you do. I think books on CD would be great though. Perhaps if you don't have one already you can ask for a iPod or MP3 player as a gift for Mother's Day. I know our library know has audio books available for download (ours doesn't work for MAC/ipod though) and that would help for getting them on without having to add another thing to the library list. But, you should be able to finish some just while washing up and doing laundry.

Actually, you might have to read two different sets of books if you have both girls and boys, but I only have boys. But even then most books will be the same. I read a book and I have a Word document on my computer where I write my impressions of the book... if there were objectionable parts, when I think a child would be ready for it, major characters, plot, and then I write down a few comprehension questions if I have the time. If I don't have the time, then I don't do that, and just access study questions online.

This way I only read books for my oldest wherever he is. I just save that information for my other kids, just like once I have re-learned algebra or biology with my oldest I will be in much better shape for subsequent kids coming through it.

Pre-reading my kids' books is one of the most enjoyable parts of homeschooling, imo.

A Mom asked me today if it was possible to hs 3 kids and I actually laughed (in a nice way). I thought of you. Yes, it is possible to hs 3.

Anyway. I pre-read all of the books my ds did this year. I read during the summer. I have chronic insomnia and read at night. I take a book with me everywhere. I read and read and read. It was worthwhile to read them because it allowed me to have better discussions with him about them. I am schooling my younger one year-round, but the older has always had summers off so that I can keep up with him.

Pick a book and get started. You can do it. If a book is taking too long to read, read the first part until you get bogged down, then skim and read the sparknotes (free online ;) ) I did that with a couple - I just can't handle some authors.

And thank you everyone for the help. I am going to start this spring on the books my 15 yo will be reading for EWH and then I can start of the TOG books once I get a few of his read.

I am really thinking of buying Teaching The Classcs and working through that this summer too, which I think will help ME a lot. I never really studied literature so I am looking forward to it.